Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Playon wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:I'd give two mid first round picks for Josh Kelly stuff Fyfe
Good idea, is Kelly gettable or one GWS want to keep?
I believe Kelly and Shiel are both out of contract next year, so now would be the ideal time to tell them about how good our club is :)
Definitely the two we are targeting not Fyfe.

Thanks for the info Jaxons. If they're out of contract next year, what's the process of approaching them? Are we permitted under the rules to talk to the players directly whilst they're still under contract to GWS? i.e Can we just contact their manager to register our interest and ask to talk to them? Do we have to notify GWS?
Curious about the process.

We have been talking to players all year.

Every club does.
Agree

Who instigated Ling Jong touring around Collingwood's training centre with Nathan Buckley earlier this year when he was still contracted to Western Bulldogs? Was it Collingwood talking to him about his intentions, or their interest in him going to the Woods? Or is Bucks so proud of their training facilities he loves showing it off to opposition players? Or did Lin Jong just drop in to have a cuppa tea with Bucks as he happened to be in the area at the time and loves looking at various Clubs training facilities? It was obvious Western Bulldogs weren't involved in instigating the visit at the time.

Read what Sam Mitchell has just said, his move to West Coast has been a year in the making. He's even talked with Adam Simpson about it before. It's just that it's come up sooner than expected, thought he'd play this year out with Hawks, then the move would be on, either as a player or an assistant coach with Eagles. It was all part of a plan Clarko, Simpson & he had been musing about as they were aware of his coaching ambitions at the end of his playing career.

There are brothers that I know of (I know their Dad well) who play with different AFL sides. For a couple of seasons various clubs have been in discussions with them (personal & via their manager)whilst they both have been under contract. Enticing them to move, especially the younger brother. Their own respective clubs have been trying to get each brother to make a move to the Club their sibling is at.

As saynta says, all Clubs do it, we'd be living in Cloud Cuckoo land if we think it doesn't go on, even if there is supposed process that clubs and player managers are supposed to follow.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
There are brothers that I know of (I know their Dad well) who play with different AFL sides. For a couple of seasons various clubs have been in discussions with them (personal & via their manager)whilst they both have been under contract. Enticing them to move, especially the younger brother. Their own respective clubs have been trying to get each brother to make a move to the Club their sibling is at.

Weller weller weller well, tell us more.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:I will get kicked for this - but being in Canberra I saw a lot of GWS. I thought Sheil was just going this year and although Kelly improved there is no way I would give 2 1st rounds for him. If we had a choice I would like Smith from GWS.
Shiel is a superstar and personally would be my first choice.
However all our recruiters and coaches love Josh Kelly.
Kelly finished 4th in the GWS - the third best side in the comp - best and fairest at age 21. So he is going more than ok.
Smith didnt even finish top 10.

What if Port come to us with an offer of pick 9 for Dunstan and pick 23?

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

No such luck they are WA born and bred not Taswegians. No such luck. We nearly had the elder brother. GT wanted him, John Bevo overruled him! One of Bevo's mistakes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

No such luck they are WA born and bred not Taswegians. No such luck. We nearly had the elder brother. GT wanted him, John Bevo overruled him! One of Bevo's mistakes.
I think Bevo has had his tyres pumped up for higher than he actually deserves

chook23
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGoverns......................

By the way Loris did you know Mavis ...........head of typing pool IBR

You had a discussion with White Wimar in a thread about the days at Russell Street.

saint4life
ace
Saintsational Legend

Koby Stevens went to the Dogs in 2012 for pick 43 officially.
But 2 players who should have been taken in that draft were taken a year earlier as 17 year olds.
Jaeger O'Meara went to Gold Coast
Brad Crouch went to Adelaide
So realistically Stevens was traded for the 45th pick of the crop.
Stevens wants to leave the Dogs because of where he sees himself in their pecking order.
Stevens is four years older so has 4 less playing years available to another club.
That is why I believe fair value would be no more than pick 50 in this years draft no matter how loudly the Dogs bark.

But we may have to pay overs to get the deal done.
Here are some options
1. Swap of picks 36 (502pts) and 40 (429pts) This trade would value at 73pts = pick 67
2. Pick 50 (273pts) only
3. Pick 50 (273pts) plus swap of picks 36 (502pts) and 40 (429pts). This trade would value at 346 pts = pick 45
4. Swap of picks 23 (815pts) and 40 (429pts). This trade would value at 386pts = pick 43.
5. Pick 36 (502pts) only
6. No deal

I hope we get the deal done soon because instead of holding picks 36(502pts) and 50(273pts) we should try to bump them up into one pick worth 775pts = pick24/25
We probably would have to take a hair cut to do this upgrade but at least somewhere in the late 20s should be possible.

PS While I work this out and type I am getting to hear free, a concert including Shannon Noll from the St Kilda Oktoberfest just across the road from where I live. :D :D :D

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
loris
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGoverns......................

By the way Loris did you know Mavis ...........head of typing pool IBR

You had a discussion with White Wimar in a thread about the days at Russell Street.
Oooophs sorry Chook23 I meant to get back to you on that query.

No I can't recall the name Mavis. I never had work dealings with the IBR typing pool. If I recollect correctly, IBR was situated on the ground floor on the building behind the main building at the Russel St Complex. I was located on the 6th, then 5th floor of main building.
I asked one of our 'gang of four' when I was chatting to her on the phone the other day if she could recall a Mavis, she couldn't. When I'm chatting to the others I'll ask them. One of them worked for Rupe Arnold (the CCP) as his secretary - that's what they were called them in those days, not a PA - she would have had more dealings with the various typing pools. I'll PM you if the other 2 know her.

No not it isn't the McGoverns. There are more WA brothers playing AFL at the moment.

The eagle McGovern was a young electrical apprentice and did some electrical work at my place the year he was in the draft. The Saints were the only Victorian club that interviewed him, the 2 two Qld Clubs and one SA club interviewed him also and ofcourse the 2 WA clubs.
That day working at my place, he told me he was so excited with the Saints interest, because they were a top team, (played in the GF) . He noticed the Saints number plates on my car, and some Saints memorabilia in my study. That's when he told me he was in the draft. Otherwise I wouldn't have known who he was, just a gangly, tall kid working on my roof.
Sadly, Saints didn't follow up any more on him. West Coast rookied him & the rest, so they say, is history!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
But we may have to pay overs to get the deal done.
Why? Dogs have not offered him a contract. As such he can go the DFA route. So late pick or swap of picks, or DFA it is and we just have to wait a few weeks more before he can trade with us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:People's obsession with Fyfe this year I don't understand. Better to build a list brick by brick than throwing all your eggs in one basket. And remember, that leg of his could possibly be problematic in the future. I'm happy with us to continue going for players like Steele. Low cost with high reward. You could get four Steels for the price of one Fyfe. We've been down that road of banking all our hopes on just a few players (Lockett, Loewe, Harvey, Burke, for example), without having an overall strong group of players, where everyone is important and no-one is carried by the rest. This has been our failing in the past. We've had successful teams where we've carried players (Robert Eddy, anyone?). The notion that one player will make all the difference is flawed, unless you already have at least 26 or 27 players who are genuinely good players.
Late runner for post of the year

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
Not if there's a GT connection in there.

loris
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
Nah McGovern was in Lyon's recruiting time. The elder brother was in GT's era. Ended up a club captain. The younger brother was a #1 Draft pick

Saintly Passion
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:I will get kicked for this - but being in Canberra I saw a lot of GWS. I thought Sheil was just going this year and although Kelly improved there is no way I would give 2 1st rounds for him. If we had a choice I would like Smith from GWS.
I love Josh Kelly!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
Nah McGovern was in Lyon's recruiting time. The elder brother was in GT's era. Ended up a club captain. The younger brother was a #1 Draft pick
That would be the Swallows

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
loris wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
What's the average airspeed velocity of David Swallow?

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

Well I'll never

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

One of Bevo's mistakes.
You mean there were more.
I would ask you to list them but maybe the server does not have enough memory capacity.

stonecold
SS Life Member

So Jaxons, time to really see if you are 'The Real Deal', are you saying, we have no interest in Nat?????

Yes or No????? One of two answers only!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Kelly finished 4th in the GWS - the third best side in the comp - best and fairest at age 21. So he is going more than ok.
Smith didnt even finish top 10.

What if Port come to us with an offer of pick 9 for Dunstan and pick 23?
Devon Smith missed half the year Con - but IMO had a much better finals series than both Sheils & Kelly.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:So Jaxons, time to really see if you are 'The Real Deal', are you saying, we have no interest in Nat?????

i hope not - no one player should be getting 3 times the amount $$$ of his peers! It will take us back to the hero worshipping years and cause us to loose all the talent around him.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
loris wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
African or European?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
loris wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
loris wrote:

McGovern
African or European?
Nice that someone got it.

The_President
Club Player

Any interest in Ben Lennon?

jaxons
Club Player

stonecold wrote:So Jaxons, time to really see if you are 'The Real Deal', are you saying, we have no interest in Nat?????

Don't need to prove myself to you.
Are we interested in the best player in the comp, of course.
We have made enquiries with his management about his future movements and indicated we would very much like to be part of the conversation if he ever wanted to leave.
I also know that sometime in 2017 Fyfe will sign a 5 year contract extension with Fremantle.
So let it go Fyfe will never be playing for St.Kilda.