Nathan Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Nathan Brown

saintbrat wrote:Browny is being put forward as a face of the saints and he speaks well and with knowledge-

but It irks me a little when a new player 'Takes on' the feelings of his new team from before his time-
would have been more comfortable if he had said
They missed out on finals on percentage last year and they lost a couple of close games that they could have easily won,” Brown said.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-2 ... says-brown
“Like any backline, they’ve got to play well together, gel and mix – they don’t have to be superstars they’ve just got to play as a back six or seven unit,” Brown said at a press conference on Wednesday.

“That’s what we’ve worked on really hard this pre-season, just getting to know everyone’s game style, particularly myself and Jake; new players coming into the system, we’ve worked really hard on getting that gel amongst the guys.”

After St Kilda missed out on playing in September last year due to an inferior percentage to North Melbourne, Brown says the Saints are determined to return to finals football.

“We missed out on finals on percentage last year and we lost a couple of close games that we could have easily won,” Brown said.

“We want to play finals this year, as every single team does. It's going to be hard and we're going to be up for it.”

And given St Kilda’s second last appearance in a final came in the 2010 Grand Final replay, where Brown was stationed on Nick Riewoldt and helped break red, white and black hearts, the new Saint admits it has been raised by some of his new teammates, but he is now focused on helping the Saints and himself to a second premiership.

“It has been brought up a few times, but I sort of play it down a bit,” Brown said.

“Obviously I’m very proud of that and have a lot of great memories of that, but I’m here at the Saints now and I really want to be part of a flag here at this club. I’m really excited for the future, but not forgetting the past.”
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-2 ... t-to-heart
Recently acquired St Kilda key defender Nathan Brown doesn’t hold any resentment for how his time finished at the club he played in a premiership with, rather he is thrilled to start afresh at an important juncture in his career.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“It’s been a really good fit and I’m excited to see what happens, not only in my personal career but at the club as well. It’s been an exciting period for my life and my football; I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

"I’m three months down and really liking it at the Saints. It’s rejuvenated me; I’m attacking pre-season with energy and passion, so it’s been a great thing for me.”
See your point but I thinks its also showing he's embracing the group and is trying to get a sense of unity with his new team. It is interesting that he's being used so much. He does speak well and I guess it shows that he's expected to play a big part in the following season.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
See your point but I thinks its also showing he's embracing the group and is trying to get a sense of unity with his new team. It is interesting that he's being used so much. He does speak well and I guess it shows that he's expected to play a big part in the following season.
You can't win really - Lyon was criticised for talking too much about Sydney when he was just being honest about his recent experiences not having done a lot at the Saints yet.

I'd prefer Brown is talking "we" from the get go even if it seems a bit weird talking about something he wasn't a part of. He seems to have been very deliberate about doing everything to fit in with the group. Says some good stuff like his talking about cohesiveness at the back like a jigsaw. He's growing on me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This probably wont go down very well on here but I am thinking Dempster might come face to face with footy mortality this season.
I can see having him and Brown in the same 22 as being a real problem at some point. These days all 22 blokes need to be mobile options.
Time will tell.

stjay
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:This probably wont go down very well on here but I am thinking Dempster might come face to face with footy mortality this season.
I can see having him and Brown in the same 22 as being a real problem at some point. These days all 22 blokes need to be mobile options.
Time will tell.
I thought that was kind of what they are hoping for. Some chatter that Shinna had to be coaxed into another season.
Not sure how true.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This probably wont go down very well on here but I am thinking Dempster might come face to face with footy mortality this season.
Time will tell.

I think that Dempster is much more competing with the likes of Robo, Gilbert and other tallish back options who play the third tall role rather than those players who will play FB or CHB in 2017.

If Brown shows good form I expect that he will be FB and Carlisle CHB with the others fighting for flank and utility roles. Geary is obviously a lock for the small defender.

So there is going to be a battle royale going on for a spot down back this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Time will tell.

I think that Dempster is much more competing with the likes of Robo, Gilbert and other tallish back options who play the third tall role rather than those players who will play FB or CHB in 2017.

If Brown shows good form I expect that he will be FB and Carlisle CHB with the others fighting for flank and utility roles. Geary is obviously a lock for the small defender.

So there is going to be a battle royale going on for a spot down back this year.
Robo is one of the first picked.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Time will tell.

Agree, which is why Dempster has a lot of competition for a place in the 22 this year

Moods
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:The main criticism I've heard is he doesn't offer much outside of stopping power. No offensive side to his game. Not sure how that will go in the modern game where versatility is key, but I don't mind us giving him a go as a bit of depth.
If he can stop the power fwds and make them ineffective I have no problem at all with him being in the team. Max Hudgton had very ordinary skills but for mine was close to the best back man in the league in his day. We can cover one or two guys. BUT if his defensive skills are on par or only slightly better than others down back he will find himself in trouble. For instance if we play WC and he keeps Kennedy to 1 goal, then I'll be happy

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Would be pleased if we get two serviceable years out of him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think Nathan will be a ripper.
Don't underestimate how much of a stifling coach Buckley has been, look at the players who have left.
Brown sounds ultra enthused to be with the Saints and under Richo.
For the first time in a very long time we have genuine KPD's....Roberton and Dempster will come to life, and the likes of Dmac, Geary and Savage will be able to explode forward.

Great to have NB on board.

Nee!
stkfc1
Club Player

fugazi wrote:I think Nathan will be a ripper.
Don't underestimate how much of a stifling coach Buckley has been, look at the players who have left.
Brown sounds ultra enthused to be with the Saints and under Richo.
For the first time in a very long time we have genuine KPD's....Roberton and Dempster will come to life, and the likes of Dmac, Geary and Savage will be able to explode forward.

Great to have NB on board.
+1. It can only be a positive for our forwards to have two genuine KPD to train against too.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Time will tell.
The word on the street (well, between here and Bigfooty) was that Seany had decided to hang them up at the end of 2016, and was convinced to go around again, probably to provide some solidarity while the new boys have 12 months to settle.

I reckon there is massive questions marks over our back 6 this year. The difference between how great it could be, and how it could all unravel, is massive. If we can get Carlisle & Brown playing good footy together, Gears takes the captaincy in his stride, the smaller guys like Webster, Savage, White all play good footy off half back, and the veterans like Dempster and Joey keep their form up, we're gonna be hard to score against.

But if Jakey goes off the rails or his body breaks down, Brown has problems with his body, Geary struggles with the extra responsibility, Montagna and Dempster fall off a cliff and the younger smalls don't improve how we expect them to, it could be a long year.

I reckon we have a reasonable idea what we'll get from the forwards and the mids this season, the success of 2017 is going to lay squarely on the shoulders of the back 6. And with all the question marks, the more steady heads we have around, the better....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Complete tangent but I wonder if Sinclair could that ideal HBF we are looking for

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
People forget though that after 10 or so rounds last year, he was also one of the most maligned in the team.

He really stepped it up later but he hasn't had a consistent year for a while now. Hoping for that to change

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
People forget though that after 10 or so rounds last year, he was also one of the most maligned in the team.

He really stepped it up later but he hasn't had a consistent year for a while now. Hoping for that to change
Looks like he could be over his injuries and he's had a full pre season which might help.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
Time will tell.
The word on the street (well, between here and Bigfooty) was that Seany had decided to hang them up at the end of 2016, and was convinced to go around again, probably to provide some solidarity while the new boys have 12 months to settle.

I reckon there is massive questions marks over our back 6 this year. The difference between how great it could be, and how it could all unravel, is massive. If we can get Carlisle & Brown playing good footy together, Gears takes the captaincy in his stride, the smaller guys like Webster, Savage, White all play good footy off half back, and the veterans like Dempster and Joey keep their form up, we're gonna be hard to score against.

But if Jakey goes off the rails or his body breaks down, Brown has problems with his body, Geary struggles with the extra responsibility, Montagna and Dempster fall off a cliff and the younger smalls don't improve how we expect them to, it could be a long year.

I reckon we have a reasonable idea what we'll get from the forwards and the mids this season, the success of 2017 is going to lay squarely on the shoulders of the back 6. And with all the question marks, the more steady heads we have around, the better....
Back 6, huh?

What about the mids and forwards?

Systems.

Structures.

Team defence.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
St Chris wrote:
Time will tell.

Back 6, huh?

What about the mids and forwards?

Systems.

Structures.

Team defence.
A lot of the other segments are coming together and have had a lot of youth injected into them but the backline is the one area that looks a bit ugly on paper. Obviously Carlisle straightens us up if he stays fit but Brown is a big unknown to me. Delaney failed cos he provided nothing else except a fist down back. How aggressive is Brown in the air these days? Will Dempster who has always been a pretty dour player suddenly become more aggressive from the back as a 31 y.o if he's freed up from a key back role? I doubt it. His marking is good but its been based on playing a deep defender role where he reads the play really well. If he plays a bit higher up does he do it as well?

Marking on the backline is becoming so important with forward presses and the ability of teams to lock the ball int their forward area if it comes to ground. Dogs did that so well in finals. Carlisle should be great in that area but I don't about Brown. He just seems very shut down focused from what I've seen. Which you do need but the game is tilting a bit more towards backmen going for marks when they are available.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is 33. I assume an arrangement has been made where he plays 12-16 games when we come up against sides with big fwd lines e.g GWS, Dogs, North.
I doubt He will play at Sandy at all and may miss some of the interstate travel (e.g Perth in Rd 2).

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dempster is 33. I assume an arrangement has been made where he plays 12-16 games when we come up against sides with big fwd lines e.g GWS, Dogs, North.
I doubt He will play at Sandy at all and may miss some of the interstate travel (e.g Perth in Rd 2).
If Shinners misses games, as you say, will he not play at Sandy for the ones where he's listed as emergency?
I would be amazed if they leave him out for interstate ones, as he is deemed to be the best in the club at preparation. So he would be essential for interstate.
He would be needed against Tex Walker, Kennedy at WCE, big forwards at Sydney and GWS...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: He would be needed against Tex Walker, Kennedy at WCE, big forwards at Sydney and GWS...
No. That is what Carlisle and Brown are for.

If Dempster plays it will be for that third tall back intercept marking role that he does so well.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dempster runs rings around Brown as a footballer IMO, so unless there is a specific extra height concern or injuries Brown is the back-up IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Dempster runs rings around Brown as a footballer IMO, so unless there is a specific extra height concern or injuries Brown is the back-up IMO.

We have been monstered by tall forwards for a number of seasons. Dempster is a great player, but key position back he is not.

And it is just not height, but mass. Brown has another 11kg.'

Now there have been shorter good fullbacks like Max. But Dempster's skill set is not that of a FB.

In part I am looking forward to this season as our backs get to play in their most suited roles.

To the top
SS Life Member

I take the point that the way we structure our defence in 2017 is going to be pivotal to success.

No doubt Carlisle will improve structure and we have been exposed for a considerable period of time to size.

Simply, our one genuine (and class) key defender was Fisher, at 191cm.

Hence the assignments to Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton who are not KPP defenders if the side is in contention come September.

We have a reliance on Carlisle and Brown to address a significant deficiency (and Goddard as he becomes AFL ready).

The benefit of Carlisle and Brown is that they then spread Dempster, Gilbert and Roberton to the flanks and "third up".

To have rebounding spread at 194cm (Gilbert and Roberton) is appealing.

The emphasis is on "rebounding spread", in conjunction with defensive skills and the ability to negate the opposition responsibility assigned to you.

This was recognised in 2016, with Montagna put back (noting that Montagna's overhead defensive skills are not great, hence number 7 behind the ball!).

And it is where someone such as Dempster will come under pressure - with disruption football and the need to respond if that disruption sees the ball in your hands on the outside.

You have to have as an asset the ability to spread, run, carry and deliver.

No exceptions.

This is where the progression of the likes of White and McKenzie is absolutely vital in my view.

Webster, to me, lost his feet just too easily in a contest, and Savage did not have the defensive skills to contribute to disruption including by impacting physically.

White to me was much the same as watching the likes of Acres and Hickey in their first games respectively - they just had that bit that said "gee, they are going to be excellent footballers for St Kilda".

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Dempster is 33. I assume an arrangement has been made where he plays 12-16 games when we come up against sides with big fwd lines e.g GWS, Dogs, North.
If Shinners misses games, as you say, will he not play at Sandy for the ones where he's listed as emergency?
I would be amazed if they leave him out for interstate ones, as he is deemed to be the best in the club at preparation. So he would be essential for interstate.
He would be needed against Tex Walker, Kennedy at WCE, big forwards at Sydney and GWS...
Dempster usually plays on the third fwd - unless we have injuries. He wont be playing on the big fwds in 2017 at all given we now have Carlisle and Brown.
In 2016 he played on players such as Howe, Sicily, Stringer etc
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... n-DEMPSTER

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the club will be looking to get games into DMac and B White. Gilbo and Dempster are on the way out.