Kelly and May

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Kelly and May

saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Most of the boys taken from the U/18's come from private schools. This is because they are mostly on scholarships. You get a good mix of all classes where the scholarships are concerned. Many of the indigenous boys such as Cyril Rioli have been the beneficiaries of the private schoolboy system. Like LL, I'm an old boy of St.Bede's. We had lots of scallywags amongst our lot and the brothers actively encouraged the 'fighting catholics' mantra. I remember a play off for the title against North Melbourne CBC was the most violent game I ever played in, and I played in plenty in the following years.

Even in the lower reaches of the Ammos, in the early 80's, when we regularly came up against the likes of Parkside, Thomastown, Fawkner, all the Brunswicks and various strains of Heidelberg, we more than held our own. The exception was Old Geelong. They hated playing us. We used them for practice for the big boys. It sure was handy being a copper and a boxer in those days.
Yep. I represented the Soccer team at St Bede's and in one particularly fierce contest against CBC, I fouled the opponents best player (who played top flight including the Australian Youth Team). In fact I ignored the ball and completely took out his legs from behind, resulting in a nasty injury for my opponent. I should have been sent off but god knows what the Ref saw and only a free kick was awarded against me although my intention had been to end his game and I did.

As CBC were still establishing whether or not he had a pulse as he lay on the ground, the Head Master Brother Bill summoned me to the touch line. I must say I thought I was in strife and that perhaps a Saturday morning detention was looming. Brother Bill says to me "I think you've killed the lad", my response was "Um" and then he added "well done, good work".
That sounds totally believable, coming from Brother William Firman. Gave me a three day holiday for my part in the North Melbourne CBC bloodbath. Did so with a wink and an "we did win the flag, though!" Ended up as principal of De La Salle, the traitor, Saynta! :D

Indeed it was Brother William Firman, he looked quite stern when he called me over, I thought I'd gone too far, thankfully I got a 'well done' from him. Unfortunately, we were trailing 2-1 when I monstered him and it remained 2-1. It was a cracking game though.

Another time the usual soccer Coach was away. A certain PE Teacher of Korean descent (who invented all sorts of torture for students he caught smoking) stood in for him. I'll never forget his pre-game instructions, which would probably have him arrested nowadays, he closed his pep talk with a demand that we must be willing to die for the School! :D
I went to school with a billy firman.

He may even have been school captain from memory.

How old would you brother firman be these days?
Don't know precisely, I'd guess somewhere between 70 & 80.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Back to the topic.

Kelly has a 2 year offer from GWS on the table rumoured to be worth $800 to $900K per annum. That is probably their best offer possible.

Kelly grew up in the Bayside area, is it Beaumaris? That's his home and we move back to Moorabbin next year. I can assure you that the Bayside area is a way better place to live than Western Sydney and that's where he grew up.

We can offer him a longer contract for more money and are closer to 'the window' than anyone else in the hunt (outside of GWS).

He is well positioned to win a Premiership this year, if that happens the lure of a Premiership won't be as strong. He will have already achieved that and the prospect of winning one with St Kilda carries more gravitas. Who's really going to give a crap about a GWS Premiership?

On a two year deal, he runs the risk of a career ending or long term injury. A risk he really doesn't have much control over. If that occurred, it would mean a substantial financial loss.

Until he signs for GWS he's on the market.

Therefore we're a decent chance of getting him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Most of the boys taken from the U/18's come from private schools. This is because they are mostly on scholarships. You get a good mix of all classes where the scholarships are concerned. Many of the indigenous boys such as Cyril Rioli have been the beneficiaries of the private schoolboy system. Like LL, I'm an old boy of St.Bede's. We had lots of scallywags amongst our lot and the brothers actively encouraged the 'fighting catholics' mantra. I remember a play off for the title against North Melbourne CBC was the most violent game I ever played in, and I played in plenty in the following years.

Even in the lower reaches of the Ammos, in the early 80's, when we regularly came up against the likes of Parkside, Thomastown, Fawkner, all the Brunswicks and various strains of Heidelberg, we more than held our own. The exception was Old Geelong. They hated playing us. We used them for practice for the big boys. It sure was handy being a copper and a boxer in those days.
Yep. I represented the Soccer team at St Bede's and in one particularly fierce contest against CBC, I fouled the opponents best player (who played top flight including the Australian Youth Team). In fact I ignored the ball and completely took out his legs from behind, resulting in a nasty injury for my opponent. I should have been sent off but god knows what the Ref saw and only a free kick was awarded against me although my intention had been to end his game and I did.

As CBC were still establishing whether or not he had a pulse as he lay on the ground, the Head Master Brother Bill summoned me to the touch line. I must say I thought I was in strife and that perhaps a Saturday morning detention was looming. Brother Bill says to me "I think you've killed the lad", my response was "Um" and then he added "well done, good work".
That sounds totally believable, coming from Brother William Firman. Gave me a three day holiday for my part in the North Melbourne CBC bloodbath. Did so with a wink and an "we did win the flag, though!" Ended up as principal of De La Salle, the traitor, Saynta! :D

Indeed it was Brother William Firman, he looked quite stern when he called me over, I thought I'd gone too far, thankfully I got a 'well done' from him. Unfortunately, we were trailing 2-1 when I monstered him and it remained 2-1. It was a cracking game though.

Another time the usual soccer Coach was away. A certain PE Teacher of Korean descent (who invented all sorts of torture for students he caught smoking) stood in for him. I'll never forget his pre-game instructions, which would probably have him arrested nowadays, he closed his pep talk with a demand that we must be willing to die for the School! :D
I went to school with a billy firman.

He may even have been school captain from memory.

How old would you brother firman be these days?
Don't know precisely, I'd guess somewhere between 70 & 80.
Must be nudging 80, Saynta. He was still principal of your school, De la Salle in Malvern in 2010.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well, I was a year younger than most of my class mates and was only a year behind my broher who was 20 months older.

I will be 72 later this year so it must be the same guy. He is probably around 75.

I used to go to school reunions up until a couple of years ago and came across him. He was unrecognizable from the guy I went to school with.

I actually didn't twigg it was the same guy until this thread.

Shows I'm geting old myself.

suss
Club Player

The number being bandied about for Kelly on On The Couch tonight was $12m over 9 years. I'm a massive fan but that's almost getting too rich for me.

The journo (forget his name) was saying though that Devon Smith and Jacob Hopper would likely be pushed out. I'm starting to wonder whether a Whitfield, Smith or Hopper would be a much cheaper, less risky option. You could probably get two for the price of one Kelly. And we'd have the picks to get it done ...

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

suss wrote:The number being bandied about for Kelly on On The Couch tonight was $12m over 9 years. I'm a massive fan but that's almost getting too rich for me.

The journo (forget his name) was saying though that Devon Smith and Jacob Hopper would likely be pushed out. I'm starting to wonder whether a Whitfield, Smith or Hopper would be a much cheaper, less risky option. You could probably get two for the price of one Kelly. And we'd have the picks to get it done ...
Was Michael Warner. Said it twice and seemed to think no one else in the race (ie North and Saints). Not sure if it was that show or something else I saw tonight but it was put that at that sort of money it is difficult to imagine Kelly saying no. If that's right, the only question what has to be given up to get him.

Given he was also talking about Johannisen asking $800K, the market (taking into account the likely CBA increases) is moving faster than many of us can fathom. But the wraps for Jelly from every quarter are huge and I'm getting quite comfortable about paying what seems (now) like a massive amount for him. He is exactly what we need.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
suss wrote:The number being bandied about for Kelly on On The Couch tonight was $12m over 9 years. I'm a massive fan but that's almost getting too rich for me.

Was Michael Warner. Said it twice and seemed to think no one else in the race (ie North and Saints). Not sure if it was that show or something else I saw tonight but it was put that at that sort of money it is difficult to imagine Kelly saying no. If that's right, the only question what has to be given up to get him.

Given he was also talking about Johannisen asking $800K, the market (taking into account the likely CBA increases) is moving faster than many of us can fathom. But the wraps for Jelly from every quarter are huge and I'm getting quite comfortable about paying what seems (now) like a massive amount for him. He is exactly what we need.
It is only Rd 10 and June!
Ill bet there are 17 clubs in the race if he hasnt signed with GWS by August.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is Kelly from a private school?
I haven't read all the thread......miss much private school chest beating??
I went to the school of hard knocks by the way....

“Yeah….nah””
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ladder position will be a factor for sure. I can't see Kelly coming to us if we finish 10th or lower

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Zed wrote:Ladder position will be a factor for sure. I can't see Kelly coming to us if we finish 10th or lower

"Zed's dead, baby!" :shock: vroom...vroom...vroom...

Kelly will cost way too much, he's up around Dangerfield money now.
Even if we get him, the $$ will surely upset our other guys? the ones who work their rings off for years?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
derby Street
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Zed wrote:Ladder position will be a factor for sure. I can't see Kelly coming to us if we finish 10th or lower

"Zed's dead, baby!" :shock: vroom...vroom...vroom...

Kelly will cost way too much, he's up around Dangerfield money now.
Even if we get him, the $$ will surely upset our other guys? the ones who work their rings off for years?
Hasn't seem to have affected other teams that have bought players in

shrodes
SS Life Member

We are officially in the market for Kelly. Obviously. But also in the market for Dusty apparently... I thought we had decided against him a month or two ago, but apparently things have changed.
Saints head of football Jamie Cox confirmed the club was no longer interested in Fyfe but was looking at GWS star Josh Kelly as well as Richmond free agent Dustin Martin.

“I can confirm that,” Cox told SEN.

“To be honest I’m not exactly sure how hard the chase was from the start but we are certainly not chasing (Fyfe).”

“We’ve been out there publically to say that at this stage of our list development, we’ll happily enter these discussions,” he said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... ce6d43230a

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Cox confirmed interest in dusty and kelly

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Oops too late on the 'scoop'!!!

#1 Ryder fan
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you here suss, I love Kelly as a player but he might be becoming ridiculously expensive.

If this advance from us and North pushes up Kelly's price at GWS and they retain him and we could get Whitfield and Hopper or Whitfield and Smith for our two first rounders (say 3 & 10) with GWS first rounder (say #18)in return I think that would be a great win for us and wouldn't tie up the massive dollars for one player. We could still easily go after Rockliff or Martin.

I really believe we have a great opportunity to secure Whitfield. Being a former PG student and Mount Martha boy can't hurt us and his parents are still rumoured to be unhappy with GSW handling of his issues last year. He is also the elite runner link man we need between forward and back.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you on this, JB. Whitfield is very gettable, my thauthes tell me. Hopper and Smith will be like Steele. Hidden guns looking for opportunity. We could get all three and still bid for Dusty. Don't forget Rockliffe and Pittard. Would cost us nothing but Salary cap space, which we have plenty of. The one no one is mentioning is Schache. I'd go hard for him. We need another tall forward as much as we need mids. Rumour mill has Paddy willing to go to Geelong. Three way swap with Brisbane is a possibility. Paddy to Geelong, Schache to saints, Geelong player and picks to Brisbane. Would you do it? I'd be sorely tempted, I have to say.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
takeaway
Club Player

Lose Paddy and gain Schache? That's a loss for a start

stonecold
SS Life Member

Rumour mill, which rumour mill??????

And I wish people would it a rest with Rocky, he is not what we need, both as a person and/or player!!!!!

As for Pittard, he's just a player too!!!!!

We should be looking 'Top Shelf', not in the sock drawer!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I'm with you on this, JB. Whitfield is very gettable, my thauthes tell me. Hopper and Smith will be like Steele. Hidden guns looking for opportunity. We could get all three and still bid for Dusty. Don't forget Rockliffe and Pittard. Would cost us nothing but Salary cap space, which we have plenty of. The one no one is mentioning is Schache. I'd go hard for him. We need another tall forward as much as we need mids. Rumour mill has Paddy willing to go to Geelong. Three way swap with Brisbane is a possibility. Paddy to Geelong, Schache to saints, Geelong player and picks to Brisbane. Would you do it? I'd be sorely tempted, I have to say.
I'm with you WW on all but Pittard, he's a good footballer but not what we need IMO ie. breakneck speed out of the back half and precision kicking.
I'd do a three way deal that landed Schache at Saints, Paddy at Geelong and satisfied Brisbane with players and picks as long as we didn't have to add any sweetener.
I wonder why Geelong need us in this deal? I think Schache has more upside than Paddy so why involve us?

I think we are dreaming thinking of Hopper, Smith & Whitfield in one fell swoop but why not?
Carlton have grabbed multi GWS players for cheap but not many were regular first players.
Out of that group I think Hopper could be the best player.

The great thing about that trio is they all offer something a little different.
Hopper is a beast at contested ball and a good user, Smith is a good user and delivers particularly well forward of centre and Whitfield is a great runner and transition player.
If we got Hopper I'd say Armo & Dunstan may be collateral damage as he plays a similar role with a lot more upside.

Add Whitfield, Hopper, Smith, Schache & Rockliffe (FA) for 2 X first round picks and Paddy :D

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Rumour mill, which rumour mill??????

!!!!!
Not sure if you are stating which rumour mill with your exclamation marks !!!! stonefish or whether you were actually asking the question ???? of me regarding Whitfield’s parents being unhappy with the way his situation was handled by GWS?

If it’s the latter the information is 2nd hand but from a close enough source to believe it to be very, very accurate.

I actually believe we will land Whitfield at season end using the Hawthorn traded pick.
Whether we can extract another player I am only hopeful.

Why when I see your posts do I imagine you resemble this guy????

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I like the way this thread is going.
Getting involved in a bidding war over Kelly helps us either way. We either get him or up his price.
If GWS have to pay overs to keep him - then Whitfield, Hopper etc might become very gettable....

stonecold
SS Life Member

Not sure Jaffa, that's ToadFish, I'm Stonecold!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

White Winmar wrote:I'm with you on this, JB. Whitfield is very gettable, my thauthes tell me. Hopper and Smith will be like Steele. Hidden guns looking for opportunity. We could get all three and still bid for Dusty. Don't forget Rockliffe and Pittard. Would cost us nothing but Salary cap space, which we have plenty of. The one no one is mentioning is Schache. I'd go hard for him. We need another tall forward as much as we need mids. Rumour mill has Paddy willing to go to Geelong. Three way swap with Brisbane is a possibility. Paddy to Geelong, Schache to saints, Geelong player and picks to Brisbane. Would you do it? I'd be sorely tempted, I have to say.

Paddy was friendly with one of the Brownless daughters as of June 2016, if he's still with her,
then Geelong would be attractive for him.
Hawkins pumping him up maybe says Cats are keen on him?
Brissy would take a nice Cat in a heartbeat, as long as he's not a dud.

I trust our trading team to stitch up a sweet deal where we come out smelling like roses

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Not sure Jaffa, that's ToadFish, I'm Stonecold!!!!!
Stonecold/ Stonefish/ Toadfish .... You can see the progression!!!!!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
stonecold wrote:Not sure Jaffa, that's ToadFish, I'm Stonecold!!!!!
Stonecold/ Stonefish/ Toadfish .... You can see the progression!!!!!
Stonecold/ Stonefish/ Toadfish/ Toadstool/ Barstool

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!