Analysing "that" final goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Analysing "that" final goal

What our players should learn:

1) Billy had to either get the ball forward or stop the classic flip over the back for the run around - this is a standard ZONE play in forward moves - as an ex ruckman it kills me to see our young rucks make this mistake. Billy had his positioning all wrong at this boundary throw in and his one job was to ensure the ball didn't go to the classic attacking zone. He could have given away a free kick and we would have been better off!

2) Seb had to ensure he was protecting the space that Gray wanted to run into at the back of the hit out - he should have been hassling him with a hard tag and restricting his run rather than trying to win the ball and clearing it

3) Luke had to be ready to be ready to step into (block) the run of Gray if he released (which he did) but Luke was flat footed

4) Billings tried to tackle but was too late (but he was third in line for Gray responsibility at that contest)

5) Worst of all was Blake - he was unmanned in the space where Gray would run into at the 50m arc and instead of remaining and protecting the dangerous space 50m from goal ... he ran to the contest on the ATTACKING side looking for the forward tap! Even if he leaves the dangerous space, if he had run to the defensive side of the ruck contest (behind) then he could have put pressure on Gray.

Bottom line is that none of these guys have played 100 games of footy - not even close. All in the 30-60 game zone.

They will all learn from it.

This season is exactly as i thought it would be.

I maintain that our real premiership window is 2020-22.

We can make finals next year 2018.

We can be top 4 in 2019.

IF we keep this list together and recruit well.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Analysing "that" final goal

You'd think, since our captain is a 150+ game defender, there'd be some awareness on ground as the throw in was being set up. Frustrating brain fart.

The Recruit
Club Player

2.12 was also a big issue. After two weeks of insipid footy would have been nice to win yesterday.

The Recruit
Club Player

degruch wrote:You'd think, since our captain is a 150+ game defender, there'd be some awareness on ground as the throw in was being set up. Frustrating brain fart.
Geary works hard but can't do it himself...you need at least 4-8 onfield leaders/coaches to be a great team.
We had 1-2 at most yesterday

lang

spot on.....................your statement is 100% correct
Gear is an honest toiler at best.........................lacks true skils and nous............am dumb founded how he is captain or maybe I am unfair because I am not there
on the field of play!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Ruckmen (or so I thought) who are trying to defend, not attack,
seem to hit the ball towards the boundary.
Especially in a tight game in the oppo's fwd line.

Didn't happen. Maybe our guys were expecting Billy to go the boundary.
Regardless, they should have been ready to defend if Billy lost the tap.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The_President
Club Player

I haven't seen anyone show a close up, slow-mo or even still shots of the goal yet. Skunk must've been only just over the line. Foxtel didn't even show a replay of it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:What our players should learn:

1) Billy had to either get the ball forward or stop the classic flip over the back for the run around - this is a standard ZONE play in forward moves - as an ex ruckman it kills me to see our young rucks make this mistake. Billy had his positioning all wrong at this boundary throw in and his one job was to ensure the ball didn't go to the classic attacking zone. He could have given away a free kick and we would have been better off!

2) Seb had to ensure he was protecting the space that Gray wanted to run into at the back of the hit out - he should have been hassling him with a hard tag and restricting his run rather than trying to win the ball and clearing it

3) Luke had to be ready to be ready to step into (block) the run of Gray if he released (which he did) but Luke was flat footed

4) Billings tried to tackle but was too late (but he was third in line for Gray responsibility at that contest)

5) Worst of all was Blake - he was unmanned in the space where Gray would run into at the 50m arc and instead of remaining and protecting the dangerous space 50m from goal ... he ran to the contest on the ATTACKING side looking for the forward tap! Even if he leaves the dangerous space, if he had run to the defensive side of the ruck contest (behind) then he could have put pressure on Gray.

Bottom line is that none of these guys have played 100 games of footy - not even close. All in the 30-60 game zone.

We can be top 4 in 2019.

Great analysis. We would have been better if Carslile had have been pinged for deliberate.

Still, it was the mids fault; we lost the last 3 clearances of the game. We win just one of those and we win the game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

The overall sentiment I agree with

We are missing the impact of the likes of McCartin and Freeman, both top 10 Draft picks plus the development of Goddard

Then there is the experience of Armitage and Gilbert missing

So, if we recruit well we improve our bottom 6 at least and that is the requirement

With the analysis of that one event in a game of 120 minutes, the real problem to me is that, yet again, the opposition ruckman opposed to Longer has been BOG

How many times in Longer's 50 plus games has this. Even the case?

And yesterday it cost us any chance of playing in September this year

The positive was White (as expected off his debut game) so we can now move Geary on

The comment on Geary and leadership is noted in the OP and is correct

It was absent

The captaincy has to be assumed by a player who can impact on result, who can lead from the front and drag his team with him

I would be seriously looking at Carlisle in 2018

The other good news is that Dunstan is confirming what he showed us on his debut

The presence of Steele and Stevens has held him back, as has the emergence of Ross

He is now back assuming his correct responsibilities

And Acres will be a star

Now to get Hickey back to his 2016 form

Again this may come down to responsibility

Then there is the abject nonsense of rucking Bruce and leaving only Membrey as a forward marking option

So hop into that, fellow believers

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Had they known there was only 19 seconds left at the throw Billy couldve either chosen or been instructed to give away a free after the throw in.

By the time the ump blew his whistle and the clock stopped it would've been down to about 12 seconds.

But did they know how short of time it was??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Had they known there was only 19 seconds left at the throw Billy couldve either chosen or been instructed to give away a free after the throw in.

By the time the ump blew his whistle and the clock stopped it would've been down to about 12 seconds.

A free kick would have been better but only after the fact. It would not be a viable or sensible tactic.

Mids went missing when it counted.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:
degruch wrote:You'd think, since our captain is a 150+ game defender, there'd be some awareness on ground as the throw in was being set up. Frustrating brain fart.
Geary works hard but can't do it himself...you need at least 4-8 onfield leaders/coaches to be a great team.
We had 1-2 at most yesterday
Fair enough...but in respect to the OP, we weren't as haplessly devoid of experience and leadership out there as it may seem...a bit short on smarts, maybe.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The overall sentiment I agree with

We are missing the impact of the likes of McCartin and Freeman, both top 10 Draft picks plus the development of Goddard

Then there is the experience of Armitage and Gilbert missing

So, if we recruit well we improve our bottom 6 at least and that is the requirement

With the analysis of that one event in a game of 120 minutes, the real problem to me is that, yet again, the opposition ruckman opposed to Longer has been BOG

How many times in Longer's 50 plus games has this. Even the case?

And yesterday it cost us any chance of playing in September this year

The positive was White (as expected off his debut game) so we can now move Geary on

The comment on Geary and leadership is noted in the OP and is correct

It was absent

The captaincy has to be assumed by a player who can impact on result, who can lead from the front and drag his team with him

I would be seriously looking at Carlisle in 2018

The other good news is that Dunstan is confirming what he showed us on his debut

The presence of Steele and Stevens has held him back, as has the emergence of Ross

He is now back assuming his correct responsibilities

And Acres will be a star

Now to get Hickey back to his 2016 form

Again this may come down to responsibility

Then there is the abject nonsense of rucking Bruce and leaving only Membrey as a forward marking option

So hop into that, fellow believers

Good post.

Next year, I would go with Armo as captain. gears aint up to it and it shows unfortunately.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote:And Acres will be a star.
I've heard this from many Saints folk, and I just don't see it. Acres without doubt has talent (not the least is he's a decent set shot) but just does too many dumb things to merit potential star annointment. That handball at CHF to a guy next to a PA player when running through the corridor was horrendous. And to me he always looks like he's coasting rather than going flat out.

Now perhaps that's just his look ... laconic ... but I'd like him to reduce the dumb stuff and engage high gear a bit more often.

Having said all that he's certainly worth persevering with over some others (Wright, Leonie, Meatball et al).

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Had they known there was only 19 seconds left at the throw Billy couldve either chosen or been instructed to give away a free after the throw in.

Unless of course it ended up to Port's advantage and they took the advantage. Knowing our luck, that is exactly what would have happened.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Can't help but think if Gilbert and Montagna are out there, the Gray clearance doesn't happen. Their experience would have led to a better setup at the throw in.

It's a tough way to learn a lesson, but you can bet the next time the situation comes up, Seb and Dunstan will be better prepared.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Can't help but think if Gilbert and Montagna are out there, the Gray clearance doesn't happen. Their experience would have led to a better setup at the throw in.

It's a tough way to learn a lesson, but you can bet the next time the situation comes up, Seb and Dunstan will be better prepared.
+1

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

We can be top 4 in 2019.

Good summation, although I disagree with your window. I know its dependent on who comes onto our List, but I think anything could happen from next year. Next year will see about 10 players on our list hit the 50-70 game mark and about another 4 hit the 30-50 game mark after another pre season.

To the top
SS Life Member

The problem was a total absence of a ruck presence from a boundary throw in

Everything else flowed from that abject failure to at least compete

That said, Round 1 in 2018 and we are able to select McCartin, Freeman, Armitage and Gilbert plus 2 others Drafted or recruited in

Plus Goddard is available

And Hickey for Longer

Then drill down further and name Gilbert, Roberton, Webster and White as the support for Carlisle and Goddard (or Brown)

So, using yesterday's side, who are the bottom 6 or 7 to be moved on?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

We can be top 4 in 2019.

Good summation, although I disagree with your window. I know its dependent on who comes onto our List, but I think anything could happen from next year. Next year will see about 10 players on our list hit the 50-70 game mark and about another 4 hit the 30-50 game mark after another pre season.
2020-2022? God almighty! I'm 72 NOW! Can I last to 75-77? ( particularly in hostile environments like yesterday's?!) oh well, will just have to try my best! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Looking at the Amon goal again - that was an assy bounce. Could have easily broken right.

But we just had to kill that final throw in and neutralise it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

We can be top 4 in 2019.

2020-2022? God almighty! I'm 72 NOW! Can I last to 75-77? ( particularly in hostile environments like yesterday's?!) oh well, will just have to try my best! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Personal security will be organised for you for your next trip to Radelaide. You will be required to wear a big thick gold necklace and dark sunnies. And the hat of course. And no smiling either.

Welcome to the era of the "Gangsta-Jigster"!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good analysis.
I thought it was a short throw in from the umpire and Billy was just caught behind.
Also it seemed to me Billings was his closest opponent

Nee!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:I haven't seen anyone show a close up, slow-mo or even still shots of the goal yet. Skunk must've been only just over the line. Foxtel didn't even show a replay of it.
I can't believe the goal line footage was not seen anywhere. They say they review every goal but do they? Everyone seemed to be caught up in the moment but I wouldn't mind seeing the goal line footage. Does anyone know where it can be found?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote:
The_President wrote:I haven't seen anyone show a close up, slow-mo or even still shots of the goal yet. Skunk must've been only just over the line. Foxtel didn't even show a replay of it.
I can't believe the goal line footage was not seen anywhere. They say they review every goal but do they? Everyone seemed to be caught up in the moment but I wouldn't mind seeing the goal line footage. Does anyone know where it can be found?

I saw it on Fox. Yes, it was over the line but not much in it.