Paddy Vs Brisbane - Play by Play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Paddy Vs Brisbane - Play by Play

He’s been the source of some negativity this week but to be honest... if you watch the game closely, I don’t think it’s justified.

Couple of things worth noting:

- We kick the ball to Paddy’s advantage TWICE the whole game... well into the game. On both occasions he essentially ends up with a shot on goal.
Once was the infamous Bruce moment and the other his missed shot on goal

- The Saints strategy that worked was to move the ball fast from defence, have the tall forwards drag their men away from goal and leave the F50 open for the smalls/mids... and Membrey to capitalise. It worked.

- Often when we kick it forward under pressure... we bomb it forward to Paddy in a contest, I think with the expectation that he brings the ball to ground. He does this well.

- Paddy seems to work quite hard and regularly moves up the field... and he chases. I think he lacks the strength/size or perhaps he’s really cautious about playing the power game he wants to.

- His decision making in general play in the contest isn’t great and he clearly knows it... that’s why he didn’t run in with the Bruce play and he panicked a little under pressure when he heard the crowd roar thinking that he was missing something. Despite making a poor decision to pass... he nailed it.
He has good field kicking I think.

And finally, his quietest patch of the game in the third quarter when he was unsighted for most... either off or not looked for... coincided with our worst patch in the game.

Have a look
https://youtu.be/ZheyI7PNjx4

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Paddy Vs Brisbane - Play by Play

Good post. I still think he didnt look100 % right against the Bears, but who knows. Hope over the first half of the season, everyone looks to acknowledge the good rather than focus on the negative.
Jury will be out until he can string enough games together i think

saynta
Saintsational Legend

If Paddy kicks 3 or 4 goals today, his critics still won't stfu.

saint-stu
Club Player

He looked rusty but I think that's totally understandable given the amount of time out and the concussion worries.

I feel we've seen enough to know he could be a really good full forward with some continuity. Kicks straight and he has 3 goals even with that terrible delivery.

I wonder though if he's not able to get kicks to advantage because he's not able to lose the defender?

1ac46a38
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:He looked rusty but I think that's totally understandable given the amount of time out and the concussion worries.

I feel we've seen enough to know he could be a really good full forward with some continuity. Kicks straight and he has 3 goals even with that terrible delivery.

I wonder though if he's not able to get kicks to advantage because he's not able to lose the defender?
That’s what I wondered to a degree, there’s one clip there where Gresh squares him up and it’s almost as though he runs under it... was hard to tell.

I think his biggest challenge is going to be that he needs to run straight to accelerate with any type of major speed. He’s not a Roo type in a fall back then change direction suddenly.

Makes it hard for him.

His movement in general is hard to describe. He’s not slow... there’s something about him that’s s bit... clunky.

The question is... is he historically a bash and crash player that is trying to change in order to protect his head?

Tex Walker IMO is the guy that he needs to try and emulate

ace
Saintsational Legend

I have no problem with Paddy.
He is simply another player on our list.
He should be given games because he deserves to be in the side.

What still pisses me off is that a number one draft selection was wasted by our recruiters to get a player who has turned out to be a reasonable pick if taken at the start of the third round pick 37 or fourth round pick 55.
Recruiters who do that do not win premierships.
They ensure that other clubs win premierships.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I have no problem with Paddy.
He is simply another player on our list.
He should be given games because he deserves to be in the side.

What still pisses me off is that a number one draft selection was wasted by our recruiters to get a player who has turned out to be a reasonable pick if taken at the start of the third round pick 37 or fourth round pick 55.
Recruiters who do that do not win premierships.
They ensure that other clubs win premierships.
not sure he deserves to be anywhere near the side based on performance.
He's there because we believe (hope) he'll develop into a good forward and will earn his place then.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

was curious just who was (is) the worst number one draft pick in history.
relieved Paddy is safe. But currently on track to be the worst since Hutton in 91 (still actually behind him though).
Amazingly Hutton was the Bears leading goal kicker in 92, and twice kicked 8 goals (43 goals from 18 games). Got cut at end of year (how?) and taken by the Swans and later Freo as well. So given that Paddy is well behind him.

1986 Martin Leslie (Brisbane Bears) 107 games
1987 Richard Lounder (Richmond) 4
1988 Alex McDonald (Hawthorn) 107
1989 Anthony Banik (Richmond) 49
1990 Stephen Hooper (Geelong) 21
1991 John Hutton (Brisbane Bears) 36
1992 Drew Banfield (West Coast) 265
1993 Darren Gaspar (Sydney) 228
1994 Jeff White (Fremantle) 268
1995 Clive Waterhouse (Fremantle) 106
1996 Michael Gardiner (West Coast) 180
1997 Travis Johnstone (Melbourne) 209
1998 Des Headland (Brisbane) 166
1999 Josh Fraser (Collingwood) 200
2000 Nick Riewold (St Kilda) 197
2001 Luke Hodge (Hawthorn) 173
2002 Brendon Goddard (St Kilda) 162
2003 Adam Cooney (W Bulldogs) 155
2004 Brett Deledio (Richmond) 128
2005 Marc Murphy (Carlton) 102
2006 Bryce Gibbs (Carlton) 89
2007 Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton) 56
2008 Jack Watts (Melbourne) 18
2009 Tom Scully (Melbourne) 21

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Paddy will need to kick 63 goals this season if he is to emulate Taylor Walker at the same age.

The Craw
Club Player

Paddy is a stay at home forward .... More in the Alister Lynch mode ... If the Saints can get it right then they will change the way the game is played.

If I was Richo I would look at the Lions early 2000s .. Adopt a Lynch, Brayshaw, Brown kind of set up where Paddy is Lynch, Bruce is Brayshaw and Memory is Brown ... Build your midfield and backline around it and then watch it turn into a force.

For mine, Membry is our most important player ... From a draft pick perspective he cancels Paddy out at the moment.

Not Craw, CRAW!
David-Lee
Club Player

Do Paddy play by play North Melbourne! Do it.
He was brilliant. You know what I mean. Unreal raw talent, so passionate and burning with desire to rip heads off and eat footy goal posts.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

He will be de listed this year.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
SuperDuper
Club Player

The Craw wrote:Paddy is a stay at home forward .... More in the Alister Lynch mode ... If the Saints can get it right then they will change the way the game is played.

If I was Richo I would look at the Lions early 2000s .. Adopt a Lynch, Brayshaw, Brown kind of set up where Paddy is Lynch, Bruce is Brayshaw and Memory is Brown ... Build your midfield and backline around it and then watch it turn into a force.

For mine, Membry is our most important player ... From a draft pick perspective he cancels Paddy out at the moment.
Membrey does not cancel Paddy out. We gave up Petracca. We should have Membrey and Petracca.

Yes, I am stating the obvious

SuperDuper
Club Player

The Craw wrote:Paddy is a stay at home forward .... More in the Alister Lynch mode ... If the Saints can get it right then they will change the way the game is played.

Membrey does not cancel Paddy out. We gave up Petracca. We should have Membrey and Petracca.

saint64
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:

Daniel Bradshaw and Alastair Lynch often didn’t play together as key forwards. Bradshaw was often used in other roles or replaced Lynch as a key forward when Lynch was out. Lynch was a lot more than just a key forward - he started as a very athletic key defender. The Lions had a couple of reasonable midfielders and backmen in theearly 2000s (yes, I am also stating the obvious).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seriously.
Lynch kicked over 600 career goals.
Bradshaw over 500.

Paddy will be lucky if he gets to 100.
50 might even be a stretch at this rate.

portosaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Seriously.
Bradshaw over 500.

You really dislike the fella don't you?

I think I would like to see 20 or 30 relatively continuous games before I make judgment on a 21 yo key forward.

Regardless, the result would have been the same yesterday if the recruiters took your advice and picked Petracca instead.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

There were at least 5 worse Saints yesterday so he gets at least one more game (unless suspended)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Seriously.
Bradshaw over 500.

You really dislike the fella don't you?

I think I would like to see 20 or 30 relatively continuous games before I make judgment on a 21 yo key forward.

Regardless, the result would have been the same yesterday if the recruiters took your advice and picked Petracca instead.
It's not Paddy's fault.
He didn't pick himself at pick 1.
The coaching staff are to blame for telling him to 'crash and bash' and take 'pack marks'.
That basically doesn't happen in modern AFL.
The coaches are leading him down the wrong path.
Not the kids fault.
The coaches are leading him astray big time.

Buddy Franklin has never taken a pack mark in his life and has kicked 1000 goals. Think about it. Franklin rarely even takes a mark at all.
Pack marks are a myth in the AFL.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 31 Mar 2018 1:24pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Watch Paddy's chasing and second efforts from yesterday's game. I'm sure he's trying, and if he is, he's cooked. Can't run. As mobile as a cigar store Indian. The other knock on him is he's a poor kick for goal. You'd think as someone selected as a key forward, he'd at least be competent around goals. As with everything else about him, he is below average in this area. One of the most bewildering recruitment selections ever. He showed a bit in his first two years, but last year was a disaster, especially the way he was handled. Injuries and poor management by our coaches seems to have drained him of any confidence he may have had.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
silverhalo
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Watch Paddy's chasing and second efforts from yesterday's game. I'm sure he's trying, and if he is, he's cooked. Can't run. As mobile as a cigar store Indian. The other knock on him is he's a poor kick for goal. You'd think as someone selected as a key forward, he'd at least be competent around goals. As with everything else about him, he is below average in this area. One of the most bewildering recruitment selections ever. He showed a bit in his first two years, but last year was a disaster, especially the way he was handled. Injuries and poor management by our coaches seems to have drained him of any confidence he may have had.
+1

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Watch Paddy's chasing and second efforts from yesterday's game. I'm sure he's trying, and if he is, he's cooked. Can't run. As mobile as a cigar store Indian. The other knock on him is he's a poor kick for goal. You'd think as someone selected as a key forward, he'd at least be competent around goals. As with everything else about him, he is below average in this area. One of the most bewildering recruitment selections ever. He showed a bit in his first two years, but last year was a disaster, especially the way he was handled. Injuries and poor management by our coaches seems to have drained him of any confidence he may have had.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
portosaint
Club Player

Devoid of confidence, yes. Personally, I will still reserve judgment until he's had a decent, uninterrupted run.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing with kicking for goal... it’s crap across the team

Everyone was terrible. Paddy stands out coz he had 2 shots and missed

But I didn’t but anyone could nail a set shot yesterday.

Koby missed a few he should have made

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What’s up with Paddy’s marking technique. Anyone spot it... he keeps trying to mark it directly over his head... not infront at all the things is that he actually gets his hands on the ball in the majority of contests but the opposition punch it away easy

Someone shd coach him about thT