Consider the Saints as a Business Model

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Consider the Saints as a Business Model

On Game Day.

We are like a new company trying to break into an existing market.
We spend all of our money on advertising (100% of the budget) by putting all 18 players on the ball in an attempt to win the ball - we fight and scrag to get noticed.

But then we do get the ball (someone places a large order) and we have no funds to spend on supplying the stock to fulfill that order (no-one to kick to)

We are failing at the business of football

It's like that company that has received a massive order and concentrates all its efforts on achieving the order that it meanwhile goes broke and screws its stakeholders.

It is ultimately unsustainable.

If we are not good enough to play football with a structure that allows the mids to know and trust that there is a get out up the forward line, then drop people and try again - rinse - repeat

We need an executive who knows the game and can guide this organisation to sustained success and 37.24% does not do it.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Consider the Saints as a Business Model

A business model fro bankruptcy and failure.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote:A business model fro bankruptcy and failure.
Almost went into receivership back in the early 1980s.
The only thing that stopped that was Lindsay Fox doing the receivers job of persuading creditors to accept a few cents in the dollar.
Now we have a 10 million debt.
Hello creditors.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

it's embarrasing.

Pathetic.

And the numpty coach gets a contract extension?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The creditors would have sharpened their axes and started swinging long ago.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If St Kilda were a business they would have closed the doors over a century ago.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

pretty funny.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Looks like the Directors will be facing charges for trading whilst insolvent.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
kell
Club Player

STKFC is a club. It is neither a business nor a corporation as such it does not trade. The AFL is a Corporation Limited by guarantee. The STKFC has a member nominated to the AFL. The sole purpose of the AFL is to promote the game of Australian rules. The AFL and the Victorian government have just poured a significant amount of money into new facilities for STKFC. It is arrant nonsense to suggest the AFL are about to shut down the club because of some poor performances. To do so would be contrary to the purpose of the AFL and also in all likelihood a breach of an agreement with the Victorian government. Settle down petals. The $12 million debt being carried by the club is adequately accommodated by the income generated by the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood. I am enjoy the ride so much more knowing that it is being subsidised by those clubs.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

kell wrote:STKFC is a club. It is neither a business nor a corporation as such it does not trade. The AFL is a Corporation Limited by guarantee. The STKFC has a member nominated to the AFL. The sole purpose of the AFL is to promote the game of Australian rules. The AFL and the Victorian government have just poured a significant amount of money into new facilities for STKFC. It is arrant nonsense to suggest the AFL are about to shut down the club because of some poor performances. To do so would be contrary to the purpose of the AFL and also in all likelihood a breach of an agreement with the Victorian government. Settle down petals. The $12 million debt being carried by the club is adequately accommodated by the income generated by the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood. I am enjoy the ride so much more knowing that it is being subsidised by those clubs.
Absolute crap!

The AFL is a business and as a whole, it needs to make money.

If a subsidery owned by that business isn’t profitable, they can only carry that dead weight for so long and no amount of vanity money from a desperate government trying to cling to power will change that, especially if they get voted out!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Sainter_Dad is trying to compare the Saints to a typical business or company etc. In that case, the CEO, executives and some management would most likely be sacked or have their renumeration and bonuses etc reduced due to poor performance. No business would tolerate the last five years of low achievement, and definitely would not be extending contracts of those overseeing the lack of success...they would be gone!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Maybe Sainter_Dad is trying to compare the Saints to a typical business or company etc. In that case, the CEO, executives and some management would most likely be sacked or have their renumeration and bonuses etc reduced due to poor performance. No business would tolerate the last five years of low achievement, and definitely would not be extending contracts of those overseeing the lack of success...they would be gone!
Absolutely correct Spert

If you consider the Saints as a business model - would you invest?? - but each year we give them our hard earned, usually willingly!!!!

Would anyone be satisfied if your salesman was on $300K per annum but only converted 1 in 3 leads????

Someone needs to do a review - not a fiary floss one - but one that tells us - the stakeholders - just what the real situation is

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
kell
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
kell wrote:STKFC is a club. It is neither a business nor a corporation as such it does not trade. The AFL is a Corporation Limited by guarantee. The STKFC has a member nominated to the AFL. The sole purpose of the AFL is to promote the game of Australian rules. The AFL and the Victorian government have just poured a significant amount of money into new facilities for STKFC. It is arrant nonsense to suggest the AFL are about to shut down the club because of some poor performances. To do so would be contrary to the purpose of the AFL and also in all likelihood a breach of an agreement with the Victorian government. Settle down petals. The $12 million debt being carried by the club is adequately accommodated by the income generated by the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood. I am enjoy the ride so much more knowing that it is being subsidised by those clubs.
Absolute crap!

If a subsidery owned by that business isn’t profitable, they can only carry that dead weight for so long and no amount of vanity money from a desperate government trying to cling to power will change that, especially if they get voted out!

The STKFC isn't a subsidiary owned by the AFL ! STKFC nominates a member to the 260 approx members. Champion Data and Docklands Stadium are subsidiaries owned by AFL. There is a vast difference between those businesses and the entities of the AFL and STKFC. BTW the AFL doesn't make a profit either. It makes a surplus and doesn't pay tax !!! Apology ?

Too many on this site are barking at the clouds and claiming the sky is falling. Settle petals !

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

kell wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
Absolute crap!

The STKFC isn't a subsidiary owned by the AFL ! STKFC nominates a member to the 260 approx members. Champion Data and Docklands Stadium are subsidiaries owned by AFL. There is a vast difference between those businesses and the entities of the AFL and STKFC. BTW the AFL doesn't make a profit either. It makes a surplus and doesn't pay tax !!! Apology ?

Too many on this site are barking at the clouds and claiming the sky is falling. Settle petals !
Now, more than ever, entities need to be profitable.

The AFL is profitable purely through the over-inflated broadcast rights. The money that pays the white beards that run the AFL and their clubs has to come from somewhere.

To assume we can keep playing like shite and still accumulating further debt to no consiquence is exactly what will make us destined to follow the same path of Fitzroy and South Melbourne.

To cling to your above post as a safety blanket is to assume that AFL money magically grows on trees. If that’s the case, I might as well work for an AFL club. That way I can be as woeful at my job as I like, but still pocket an easy 6-figure salary.

kell
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
kell wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
Absolute crap!

The AFL is profitable purely through the over-inflated broadcast rights. The money that pays the white beards that run the AFL and their clubs has to come from somewhere.

To assume we can keep playing like shite and still accumulating further debt to no consiquence is exactly what will make us destined to follow the same path of Fitzroy and South Melbourne.

To cling to your above post as a safety blanket is to assume that AFL money magically grows on trees. If that’s the case, I might as well work for an AFL club. That way I can be as woeful at my job as I like, but still pocket an easy 6-figure salary.

"safety blanket" ? really...... Oh dear.....

I will limit my response save irritating your soft underbelly of confusion to saying that I am correct AND the purpose of my posts was to allay the fretting and melodrama on this site. Your assertions might be bolstered if you could identify any concrete evidence to suggest the STKFC is about to shut up shop or move interstate rather than simply amplifying your initial response.

SS , do you you enjoy watching the Saints play?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

kell wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
kell wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
Absolute crap!

"safety blanket" ? really...... Oh dear.....

I will limit my response save irritating your soft underbelly of confusion to saying that I am correct AND the purpose of my posts was to allay the fretting and melodrama on this site. Your assertions might be bolstered if you could identify any concrete evidence to suggest the STKFC is about to shut up shop or move interstate rather than simply amplifying your initial response.

SS , do you you enjoy watching the Saints play?
It’s okay kell, I concede. You’re right. No matter how shabbily St Kilda FC may be run as an administration, we’ll always survive as long as there are desperate state governments trying to buy votes.

kell
Club Player

Cheers SS. I agree the AFL and clubs play the political card "bigly". The most irritating examples being played out in Tasmania particularly by the HFC. Successive Tas governments paying hand over fist to pander to shortsighted supporters... Thankfully Tasmanians are becoming more cynical