We cant play 4 slow mids each week.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

We cant play 4 slow mids each week.

Just got home from the game, another disappointing effort. Our slow midfield really stands out as a liability every week, today it was Dunstan, Ross, Armo and Steele, we need to mix it up and help Jack Steven with some speed to back him up. Why we traded away picks for Koby Stevens and Steele I will never know, they are the same as Ross, Dunstan and Armo. I'm not only talking about leg speed, Its speed of decision making and disposal. I know Acres isn't fast but he is different to the other, I think Dunstan is developing, can kick goals and shows a bit of aggression, I just don't think Ross, Armo and Steel should be in the same team. They aren't fast enough to put pressure on when we haven't got the ball and not fast enough to break away from a tackler. Maybe we need to bite the bullet and try a consistent mix of Gresh, Acres, Dunstan, Steven, Hunter Clarke and others like Phillips and Freeman when he is ready? Id love to know everyone else's thoughts. We are going to lose anyway if we stay with what we have, lets try something else.

congorozides
Club Player

Re: We cant play 4 slow mids each week.

nw7 wrote:Just got home from the game, another disappointing effort. Our slow midfield really stands out as a liability every week, today it was Dunstan, Ross, Armo and Steele, we need to mix it up and help Jack Steven with some speed to back him up. Why we traded away picks for Koby Stevens and Steele I will never know, they are the same as Ross, Dunstan and Armo. I'm not only talking about leg speed, Its speed of decision making and disposal. I know Acres isn't fast but he is different to the other, I think Dunstan is developing, can kick goals and shows a bit of aggression, I just don't think Ross, Armo and Steel should be in the same team. They aren't fast enough to put pressure on when we haven't got the ball and not fast enough to break away from a tackler. Maybe we need to bite the bullet and try a consistent mix of Gresh, Acres, Dunstan, Steven, Hunter Clarke and others like Phillips and Freeman when he is ready? Id love to know everyone else's thoughts. We are going to lose anyway if we stay with what we have, lets try something else.
This has been evident for about three years.
Armo and Steele were abysmal today.
Armo is cooked completely lets be honest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
nw7 wrote:Just got home from the game, another disappointing effort. Our slow midfield really stands out as a liability every week, today it was Dunstan, Ross, Armo and Steele, we need to mix it up and help Jack Steven with some speed to back him up. Why we traded away picks for Koby Stevens and Steele I will never know, they are the same as Ross, Dunstan and Armo. I'm not only talking about leg speed, Its speed of decision making and disposal. I know Acres isn't fast but he is different to the other, I think Dunstan is developing, can kick goals and shows a bit of aggression, I just don't think Ross, Armo and Steel should be in the same team. They aren't fast enough to put pressure on when we haven't got the ball and not fast enough to break away from a tackler. Maybe we need to bite the bullet and try a consistent mix of Gresh, Acres, Dunstan, Steven, Hunter Clarke and others like Phillips and Freeman when he is ready? Id love to know everyone else's thoughts. We are going to lose anyway if we stay with what we have, lets try something else.
If that is the standard of the crap/rubbish you post, then good riddance.

Don' let the door hit ya where god split ya.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

If anyone goes its Armitage. Ross, Dunstan and Steele are all young and will get better. Koby Stevens is a handy backup, can play forward and is a better runner than Armitage so he should stay. His expierence and toughness is required and he is a junkyard dog type of player. Every list needs one for certain games.

The midfield definately needs a better mix though to complement Steven's pace and I agree that we are lacking in speed around the contest and midfield. They need to start throwing in Gresham, Clark and Coffield in there or on the wings as they are quite quick. Hopefully Freeman and Phillips come on too. We need to get the best midfielder we can get in the next draft. We need a quick ball magnet that can kick. The next Dangerfield or Judd would be nice.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
CarlD
Club Player

From what I saw today we struggled to:

- pick the ball up off the ground

- handpass to a teammate even if 5 metres way under little pressure (lost count of handpasses that went to ankles)

- take a mark on a lead - players continually prop and allow the opposition to spoil rather than attacking the ball.

- can't put goals on the board from directly in front

etc etc.

From his first game young Coffield looked like he could actually pass to another red, white & black jumper. Today there were a couple of times he was lucky to get his foot to the ball. What has happened in the interim??

Just amazing that basic skills are so poor.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
2 goals and 20 touches? Seems like he more than held his own first game back.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:
congorozides wrote:
Yeap Spud, he wasn't our worst!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
nw7
Club Player

I wasn't saying that Ross, Armo, Steel and Dunstan are bad players, they all play well at times, Armo was ok today. Its just that I don't think we challenge the opposition at all when they are all in the team, there is too much sameness about them. We need to mix it up and unfortunately I think 2 of them need to miss out and we need to find a different mix.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
congorozides wrote:
Well said mate.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Dave started in the middle once in the 3 qtrs I saw so how can he be classed as a slow mid.

Not sure how he played in the last but he has been told he is not required in the middle. Clearly working for you guys :roll:

:x :x :x

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

nw7 wrote:I wasn't saying that Ross, Armo, Steel and Dunstan are bad players, they all play well at times, Armo was ok today. Its just that I don't think we challenge the opposition at all when they are all in the team, there is too much sameness about them. We need to mix it up and unfortunately I think 2 of them need to miss out and we need to find a different mix.
+1. Too many slow arse players in the team.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!