Blake Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Blake Acres

It occurred to me on Saturday watching him against a player of a similar size in Fyfe

Obviously Fyfe is elite, so hard to compare the two but...

It seems to me that Acres lacks urgency , is this a lack of fitness, but do we ever seem him exhausted, do we ever see him make two or three efforts in a row?

I think someone asked on the forum does Acres have the most smothered kicks in the comp.... urgency?

Fyfe on Saturday was willing himself to contest after contest

I watch Patrick Cripps and his ability to hit a contest at speed is unbelievable, Acres ?

For his size he should be imposing himself, he doesn't have to be in and under, but big tackles and breaking tackles for a start.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Blake Acres

Acres will always be subjected to this sort of "critique", because he looks lazy. Dal Santo had the exact same issue - when things were going good, it was all "natural and easy, nice to watch" etc, but when things aren't great its lazy and, as per the OP, lacks urgency.

I call it the "Mark Waugh Complex".

You say it's hard to compare the 2, but it's not really. A quick look at Footywire suggests these 2 are very easy to compare at around the 50 game mark. The year Fyfe hit 50 games (2013), he averaged 24.5 touches, 4 marks, 3.7 tackles and 0.7 shots at goal each week. This season (Acres played game 50 a couple of weeks ago), he averages 23.5 touches, 4 marks, 3.7 tackles and 1.5 shots on goal each week. Keep in mind, in Fyfe's 50 year season Freo was runner up, and we're gonna be bottom 4.

They are also the exact same height and weight. If Acres manages to hold on to the occasional contested mark, there's no real difference between the 2 at the same stage of their careers. The challenge to Blake is to maintain the same upwards trajectory and get to that elite level.

Acres is the least of our issues IMO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Acres will always be subjected to this sort of "critique", because he looks lazy. Dal Santo had the exact same issue - when things were going good, it was all "natural and easy, nice to watch" etc, but when things aren't great its lazy and, as per the OP, lacks urgency.

You say it's hard to compare the 2, but it's not really. A quick look at Footywire suggests these 2 are very easy to compare at around the 50 game mark. The year Fyfe hit 50 games (2013), he averaged 24.5 touches, 4 marks, 3.7 tackles and 0.7 shots at goal each week. This season (Acres played game 50 a couple of weeks ago), he averages 23.5 touches, 4 marks, 3.7 tackles and 1.5 shots on goal each week. Keep in mind, in Fyfe's 50 year season Freo was runner up, and we're gonna be bottom 4.

They are also the exact same height and weight. If Acres manages to hold on to the occasional contested mark, there's no real difference between the 2 at the same stage of their careers. The challenge to Blake is to maintain the same upwards trajectory and get to that elite level.

Good stats, and as the coach would say, very pleasing. :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Acres will always be subjected to this sort of "critique", because he looks lazy. Dal Santo had the exact same issue - when things were going good, it was all "natural and easy, nice to watch" etc, but when things aren't great its lazy and, as per the OP, lacks urgency.

With those stats and what we believe he can become, it’s extraordinary that he isn’t considered for a similar role to what Fyfe does. Richo prefers Armitage, Steele, Dunstan and Ross in his best clearance midfield

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

With those stats and what we believe he can become, it’s extraordinary that he isn’t considered for a similar role to what Fyfe does. Richo prefers Armitage, Steele, Dunstan and Ross in his best clearance midfield
Ross, Steven and Dunstan more often than not.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

All of whom I rate very highly. There’s a certain sameness with Dunstan and Seb, though. I do think Seb is better that what he’s been showing.

Maybe redeploy one of them to the wing or the ruck or down forward to fill one of the various holes Blake has been asked to plug.

Point is Richo’s got to try things. And if they don’t work after a decent trial, try other things
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 14 May 2018 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Acres gives that impression,its the NDS style,cant help thinking how good in a top side he could be.Havent seen the best of Blake yet imo

in for the long haul
Club Player

A big wrap for Blake. Does look like he’s in 2nd gear sometimes but reminds me a bit of David Reece jones or , dare I say , Nicky Winmar. Expect some big things in the next couple of seasons.

in for the long haul
Club Player

A big wrap for Blake. Does look like he’s in 2nd gear sometimes but reminds me a bit of David Reece jones or , dare I say , Nicky Winmar. Expect some big things in the next couple of seasons.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Acres will become the A grade and AA we have been craving for. He is still very young. Remember that Saints fans.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

........Richo prefers Armitage, Steele, Dunstan and Ross in his best clearance midfield

Suggest we need to change this up a bit.....or a lot........Jack Steven often starts in the middle.....

Armitage is probably spent.

Black Acres should drift through the middle, as well as Jade Gresham and possibly Jack Billings.

Add Long, Coffield, Hunter Clark and the new boy Phillips.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:It occurred to me on Saturday watching him against a player of a similar size in Fyfe

Obviously Fyfe is elite, so hard to compare the two but...

It seems to me that Acres lacks urgency , is this a lack of fitness, but do we ever seem him exhausted, do we ever see him make two or three efforts in a row?

I think someone asked on the forum does Acres have the most smothered kicks in the comp.... urgency?

Fyfe on Saturday was willing himself to contest after contest

I watch Patrick Cripps and his ability to hit a contest at speed is unbelievable, Acres ?

For his size he should be imposing himself, he doesn't have to be in and under, but big tackles and breaking tackles for a start.

Ageee with this. Fitness is his strength but lacks urgency. Light years away from Fyfe and Cripps in terms of quality.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:... Light years away from Fyfe and Cripps in terms of quality.
Dunno about that. He's the sort of player who, in a GF when at his peak in about five years time, will get 30 possessions and a medal. The only thing stopping him is about 15 teammates.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He’ll probably ask for a trade at our rate

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

not sold on tne acres hope. he has the physical goods certainly - but appears to lack the determination of dunstan or the football smarts of billings. Fyfe has an abundance of all three. Comparisons with dal are also off - dal had silky skills, acres doesn't - different type of player. If he wants to succeed - well you can't change footy smarts overnight, but it can come with experience, and he can simply dig in like dunstan does and give it his all. every time. hoping he does and becomes a very good footballer.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I really like 8cres as a player but he does seem to get a lot of the 1-2 possessions (handball to a guy, run past him, get it back and kick it).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Spinner wrote:... Light years away from Fyfe and Cripps in terms of quality.
Dunno about that. He's the sort of player who, in a GF when at his peak in about five years time, will get 30 possessions and a medal. The only thing stopping him is about 15 teammates.

Not sure if this post is serious. Why just one GF? Why not make it 10 in a row...

Fyfe is just about the best player in the competition, Cripps just about the best young player in the game.

21 teammates at the moment don't stop Cripps... not sure why that's ever been an excuse anyways.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Acres will become the A grade and AA we have been craving for. He is still very young. Remember that Saints fans.
This.

Just needs more time.

Gonna be a beast.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ladder drills help develop speed and agility so hopefully he is using one on a regular basis

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Play him in the Ruck I say! :twisted:

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Play him in the Ruck I say! :twisted:
Gets more possies than both Bill and Tom, less hit outs than Bill, but about the same as Tom, well effective ones anyway!!!!! :wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SuperDuper
Club Player

will take off next year as a 23 year old...

saint-stu
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:not sold on tne acres hope. he has the physical goods certainly - but appears to lack the determination of dunstan or the football smarts of billings. Fyfe has an abundance of all three. Comparisons with dal are also off - dal had silky skills, acres doesn't - different type of player. If he wants to succeed - well you can't change footy smarts overnight, but it can come with experience, and he can simply dig in like dunstan does and give it his all. every time. hoping he does and becomes a very good footballer.
I really hope everyone else is right, but I agree with you desertsaint. I really don't see it. He's a good player, but no where near fyfe.

I still think Billings has the most potential but needs to toughen up mentally and would like to see more intensity when he doesn't have the ball.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:not sold on tne acres hope. he has the physical goods certainly - but appears to lack the determination of dunstan or the football smarts of billings. Fyfe has an abundance of all three. Comparisons with dal are also off - dal had silky skills, acres doesn't - different type of player. If he wants to succeed - well you can't change footy smarts overnight, but it can come with experience, and he can simply dig in like dunstan does and give it his all. every time. hoping he does and becomes a very good footballer.
I really hope everyone else is right, but I agree with you desertsaint. I really don't see it. He's a good player, but no where near fyfe.

I still think Billings has the most potential but needs to toughen up mentally and would like to see more intensity when he doesn't have the ball.

1ac46a38
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

He is out for 4-6 weeks with the groin. Buggar!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!