Looking at 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Looking at 2019

Apart from WB 50/50 i really cannot see another win this season, barring an upset , which really doesn't bother me too much , as if we lose to WB as well it is pick 3 for the taking.

So come seasons end what is everyones thoughts on who goes, who stays, trades, etc,. Here is my guess. hopes:

- DO NOT trade our first round pick, unless moving higher. We lack silk players and the first player we pick this high will have the potential A Grade ability. Select the best mid available. We have done well in the last 2 drafts with Clark, Coffield, Gresham, add to that Steven, Ross, Acres, Steele, Dunstan we are starting to get some decent group of mids .

- Potential trade options: Player who realistically would be wanted by other clubs and have some value. - Bruce, Longer, Newness, Savage. I would think Bruce could attract a 2nd round pick, and potentially 3rd rounders for the others. Newness and Savage may seem harsh but we do have a glut of younger players in these spots and neither i can see being in our team next top 4 push. Wouldn't give them away for nothing but for example if Collingwood/Hawthorn missed on Lynch Bruce may be an attractive options for them if they think there close and may pay overs. Rice, White, Webster all play similar roles. Savage probably only on basis of Robbo being back. Longer being looked at by Geelong.

- Target types : - FA Gaff and Polec.McGovern WC obviously all Aus quality so if he said i want to come great but as good as he is not a real need area compared to others. We need outside run and both have this, can find the ball and have good skills by foot. Gaff is an A grader and Polec could be ( will be cheaper). Need to land a fish to then attract more in the future. Trade - is there a ruck out there who is second fiddle not getting a chance - Ceglar? , VFL/ SANFL/ WAFL player.

- Delist: Pierce, Wright, Minchington/Lonie, Stevens( inj),
- Retired; - Armo,
- Depending on trade period - Gilbert, Weller.
- Rookie list Freeman - My thoughts are like Brayshaw from Melbourne invested a lot and was early pick for a reason. Injuries so far given him no chance but given a decent run at it worth a rookie spot

Potential starting 22 ( not first pick and forget free agents)

B: Geary, Austin, Webster
HB: Rice, Carlisle, Robberton
C: Acres, Steele, Steven
HF: Billings, Membrey , Battle
F: Gresham, McCartin, Clark
Foll: ?????, Ross, Long

Int: Dunstan, Coffield, Sinclair, White,

Emerg: Phillips, McKenzie, Brown,

Clear need for outside speed and a ruckman as Hickey IMO not hard enough at the contest and Marshall still developing ( really like him but couple years off).

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Looking at 2019

What a terrible attitude to take into a game. Thank goodness the team don’t think like that.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
takeaway
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:02pm Apart from WB 50/50 i really cannot see another win this season, barring an upset , which really doesn't bother me too much , as if we lose to WB as well it is pick 3 for the taking.

So come seasons end what is everyones thoughts on who goes, who stays, trades, etc,. Here is my guess. hopes:

- DO NOT trade our first round pick, unless moving higher. We lack silk players and the first player we pick this high will have the potential A Grade ability. Select the best mid available. We have done well in the last 2 drafts with Clark, Coffield, Gresham, add to that Steven, Ross, Acres, Steele, Dunstan we are starting to get some decent group of mids .

- Potential trade options: Player who realistically would be wanted by other clubs and have some value. - Bruce, Longer, Newness, Savage. I would think Bruce could attract a 2nd round pick, and potentially 3rd rounders for the others. Newness and Savage may seem harsh but we do have a glut of younger players in these spots and neither i can see being in our team next top 4 push. Wouldn't give them away for nothing but for example if Collingwood/Hawthorn missed on Lynch Bruce may be an attractive options for them if they think there close and may pay overs. Rice, White, Webster all play similar roles. Savage probably only on basis of Robbo being back. Longer being looked at by Geelong.

- Target types : - FA Gaff and Polec.McGovern WC obviously all Aus quality so if he said i want to come great but as good as he is not a real need area compared to others. We need outside run and both have this, can find the ball and have good skills by foot. Gaff is an A grader and Polec could be ( will be cheaper). Need to land a fish to then attract more in the future. Trade - is there a ruck out there who is second fiddle not getting a chance - Ceglar? , VFL/ SANFL/ WAFL player.

- Retired; - Armo,
- Rookie list Freeman - My thoughts are like Brayshaw from Melbourne invested a lot and was early pick for a reason. Injuries so far given him no chance but given a decent run at it worth a rookie spot

Clear need for outside speed and a ruckman as Hickey IMO not hard enough at the contest and Marshall still developing ( really like him but couple years off).
I would be interested to know any rule changes before considering trades. With less congestion it might be an error to trade a big forward like Bruce. All clubs would be sweating on likely changes.
Don't think Armo will be retiring, just turned 30 and has gone well recently - we need senior experience. Maybe the end for Gilbo though. Agree with the delistings, Wright, Minchington & Lonie, Stevens, not sure re Pierce, depends what we do with other rucks.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

All 6 games left are very very winnable - wouldn't be surprised if we win at least 3 or 4

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think we can will all of them.

Can we still get to 9th?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:02pm Apart from WB 50/50 i really cannot see another win this season, barring an upset , which really doesn't bother me too much , as if we lose to WB as well it is pick 3 for the taking.

- Retired; - Armo,

Great post lots of sense and logic - agree with much of it

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Trade Bruce? We should change the colors of the jumper while we are at it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Geelong looking at Longer :shock: WTF?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 8:23pm Trade Bruce? We should change the colors of the jumper while we are at it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 8:30pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 8:23pm Trade Bruce? We should change the colors of the jumper while we are at it.
A mostly yellow strip would be suitable for the white flag brigade. Pass the tissues.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Lot of respect for Minch.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Keep Minch on the main list or delist and rookie him. He showed enough in the seniors last couple of years and I'd give him 1 more chance. I think he offers more than Wright and Lonie

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:17pm Lot of respect for Minch.
You read my mind

older saint
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:23pm

- Retired; - Armo,

I would be interested to know any rule changes before considering trades. With less congestion it might be an error to trade a big forward like Bruce. All clubs would be sweating on likely changes.
Don't think Armo will be retiring, just turned 30 and has gone well recently - we need senior experience. Maybe the end for Gilbo though. Agree with the delistings, Wright, Minchington & Lonie, Stevens, not sure re Pierce, depends what we do with other rucks.
Agree , Rule changes are critical. the thinking with Bruce is we have 1 too many big forwards, I rate membrey higher than bruce, really like what i have seen out of Battle. McCartin or Bruce - a lot invested in McCartin and really a money ball play as Bruce will get more in trade than McCartin, and if do bring in zones McCartin may really benefit. Add Marshall into the mix have too many . Unless they decide Bruce is a CHB?
Glad to be able to discuss without being critisied for not having a rose coloured glasses attitude.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't class Membrey as a big forward

Medium forward who can take a mark and kick a bag but he is no key position player

Reckon we have room for Membrey Battle Marshall and either McCartin or Bruce in the forward line with Long as permanent small and Gresh Sinclair and Stuv rotating through

Need to keep Bruce and McCartin as back up to one another and for Marshall if he went down

Marshall and Hickey must both play when available with Marshall taking on ruck duties in the forward half and Hickey back half and centre square

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

We'll definitely have a better win/loss ratio than 2018.

Heard:
-Assistants and development roles are going to be changing
-A couple of players will be moved on that have been around a while (tradeable quality)
-There will be obvious delistings (writing is on the wall for some)
-We are still in the running for 3-4 x FA's (obviously won't or can't get them all). Offers being tabled or done already.
-We will be trying to trade in around 3 players, M. McGovern from Adelaide is one (still depends on what happens in FA first though)

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

Farewell game for Gilbo in the next few weeks?

Crossy66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 8:25pm Geelong looking at Longer :shock: WTF?

mmm...so Geelong rate Longer, could be something in that :wink:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

OP makes reasonable points.

Would hold onto Bruce. He will team well with Battle and Membrey.

McCartin might gave currency?

Hold pick 3...elite midfield essential.
Rankine, Smith or Walsh will be ideal.

Think we can forget Gaff....no chance.

Best we can expect is a B+ player and pay overs.

Nee!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Josh, Paddy, Newnsy and Armo would very much be required players is my guess.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 7:02pm Apart from WB 50/50 i really cannot see another win this season, barring an upset ,

I think we are also a chance against the Dons and Hawks. Particularly if we can stop having critical injuries.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:38pm We'll definitely have a better win/loss ratio than 2018.

Heard:
-A couple of players will be moved on that have been around a while (tradeable quality)
-We are still in the running for 3-4 x FA's (obviously won't or can't get them all). Offers being tabled or done already.
-We will be trying to trade in around 3 players, M. McGovern from Adelaide is one (still depends on what happens in FA first though)
I think you should alter the word, Heard: with a more appropriate one like, GUESS!!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

loris wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:46pm
parkeysainter wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:38pm We'll definitely have a better win/loss ratio than 2018.

Heard:
I think you should alter the word, Heard: with a more appropriate one like, GUESS!!!!
Nil guess here Loris. There are changes coming. Wait and see.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 9:17pm Lot of respect for Minch.
I doubt he’s on Lethlean’s (smallish) list of players he rates.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
wally
Club Player

I think we need to be careful not to trade out decent depth players to get late draft picks that prob. wont play straight away.
The last couple of years injury & form has seen guys get chances
Take the Longer/Hickey debate we rotate according to injury/form, it would be less than 50% the time both are fit for selection.
Sure we'd all like to recruit 10 very good players and be better.
Everyone on here sees different things in the player's performances as does the coachs