Wright and Goddard have been delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Wright and Goddard have been delisted

That takes the total to 4 so far with Freeman and Connellan already gone.

Surely the culling of the list doesn’t stop there

minneapolis
Club Player

Re: Wright and Goddard have been delisted

I never thought that Goddard would make it. Hoped though.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
JR23
Club Player

Again how bad is our recruiting. The use of picks Goddard no.18 ( still only 22) , Wright no.24 and I think Freeman no.35....now all delisted. Add McCartin ( we knew he had issues when we recruited him), Dunstan and Billings to that list plus no tangible player improvement with Richo as coach. You can see the future looks bleak. Unfortunate

repta
Club Player

Goddard has the skills. Has all the attributes to make a quality player. Ultimately his body let him down. Recruiters cant be blamed for that.
Wright showed glimses but couldnt bring consistency. Not sure whether he outperformed in patches or the coaches couldnt push (or pull) him to the next level.
Freeman was a stupid decision. Pick 35 for player with serious injuries. Collingwood owe us for that charity

mordiboyz
Club Player

I agree with the three decisions by the club.

wally
Club Player

I checked up and it seems we used the pick we received from Geelong for Stanley to get Goddard.
I think Stanley isn't a star but he'd be better as second ruck than using Bruce and Acres..surely.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Stanley would still be driving us nuts. I can't imagine we would ever have been as patient with him as Geelong have been. Good luck to him though (and them I guess!) - I hope he has a good finals.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The fact Richo and selectors didn’t give Freeman or Goddard a decent run at the top level to see what they’ve got after our season was effectively over in round 2 shows how delusional they truly are.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

"The Saints haven't ruled out making further changes to their list as they set about luring key targets during the upcoming trade and free agency period."

Makes it sound like the exit interviews are over - but where does that leave the other players out of contract?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Amazing to think that at one stage Hugh Goddard was touted as a #1 draft selection. I think when we got him it was considered a bit of a steal. Just shows what a raffle the draft can be.

I would prefer mature age players personally - ie 21-24 yr olds who are proven in state leagues.

chico2001
Club Player

Probably a better move because they certainly cant pick them out of the draft that's for sure

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 12:24pm That takes the total to 4 so far with Freeman and Connellan already gone.

Surely the culling of the list doesn’t stop there
Plus Stevens retired. So that is 5 gone so far. Though Connellan was onlya Cat B Rookie.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-08-2 ... st-changes
St Kilda Football Club wishes to advise that Nathan Wright, Hugh Goddard, Nathan Freeman and Category B rookie Ray Connellan have not been offered new contracts for the 2019 season

So Wright not listed with the others on the Saints website yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 5:10pm Amazing to think that at one stage Hugh Goddard was touted as a #1 draft selection. I think when we got him it was considered a bit of a steal. Just shows what a raffle the draft can be.

Our club has a preference for taking "sliders". Our Recruitment Team Bains etc beating their chests about it afterwards about the "steals" they got, BUT most have not worked out indicating that other club's recruiters are better than ours were and the sliders slid for good reasons.

I am hoping that Battle can buck the trend. He looks the goods.

Also too I am very, very, wary of talls for two reasons:
- The rules they play under are different from AFL level where more body contact is allowed.
- Talls as a rule are less likely to make it than small to medium players. Particularly the very tall ones.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Goddard went down with heat stroke...very hard to get back elite fitness after that. The body just won't go into that zone anymore
Not the recruiters fault in this case

Nee!
suss
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 7:00pm Goddard went down with heat stroke...very hard to get back elite fitness after that. The body just won't go into that zone anymore
Not the recruiters fault in this case
Serious? I had no idea it was that bad.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 5:33pm
Moods wrote: Wed 29 Aug 2018 5:10pm Amazing to think that at one stage Hugh Goddard was touted as a #1 draft selection. I think when we got him it was considered a bit of a steal. Just shows what a raffle the draft can be.

Our club has a preference for taking "sliders". Our Recruitment Team Bains etc beating their chests about it afterwards about the "steals" they got, BUT most have not worked out indicating that other club's recruiters are better than ours were and the sliders slid for good reasons.

I am hoping that Battle can buck the trend. He looks the goods.

Also too I am very, very, wary of talls for two reasons:
- The rules they play under are different from AFL level where more body contact is allowed.
- Talls as a rule are less likely to make it than small to medium players. Particularly the very tall ones.
Great point about the different rules. Makes young giants like the King bros look like champions one out against smaller players. Just standing your ground is often enough.
You would hope we’d be wary but Haileybury would spend more than we do on recruiting.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Connellan has also been delisted.
He could have remained a type B rookie for another year.
We already had 2 more vacant type B rookie positions.
But you can only have one Irishmen as a rookie type B
There are few reasons that explain for his delisting.
1. We can't afford to pay him and support him as a rookie
2. They have decided he will never make it, no chance
3. The club intends to add a new Irishmen as a rookie type B
4. Darragh Joyce is to be moved from rookie type A to rookie type B thus freeing up a rookie type A slot.
I suspect that the 4th option is the most probable but it does not have to announced this early.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
shrodes
SS Life Member

Hugh might be off to Carlton

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/reveal ... 6174ff5fce
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Carlton list manager Stephen Silvagni secretly arranged a meeting with Goddard and TLA player manager Nigel Carmody at Craig Kelly’s Hawthorn headquarters late last month.

It is understood the Blues were keen to explore the possibility of picking up the 22 year-old, who has been starved of AFL experience over the last two seasons due to injury and the arrival of Nathan Brown.

Goddard’s manager Nick Gieschen was overseas at the time, so Carmody sat in his place for the chat. The midweek get-together was general but another example of the new and discreet AFL landscape — exemplified by Tom Lynch — where clubs and prospective players meet secretly to sound each other out mid-year.

It’s unknown whether St Kilda was aware of Carlton’s approach. Regardless, Silvagni has been a long-time fan of Goddard stretching back to his draft year in 2014.
And one interesting point:
St Kilda insiders say his foot injuries since being drafted at the end of 2014 have significantly hampered his continuity, while a source with close connections at the club said Goddard has been just one of several players to have plateaued due to “sub-par development coaching that is now being rectified”.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

…while a source with close connections at the club said Goddard has been just one of several players to have plateaued due to “sub-par development coaching that is now being rectified”.
Nope, this won't be rectified until the biggest fraud of them all is removed.

If either Goddard or Freeman go on to make any form of meaningful career we should start looking for a merger deal.

This situation is completely untenable, Richo has to go before this trade period.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:29am
…while a source with close connections at the club said Goddard has been just one of several players to have plateaued due to “sub-par development coaching that is now being rectified”.
Nope, this won't be rectified until the biggest fraud of them all is removed.

If either Goddard or Freeman go on to make any form of meaningful career we should start looking for a merger deal.

This situation is completely untenable, Richo has to go before this trade period.
Agree with this.

I don't think that the 'development coaching' is the issue - I believe that the style of play and the pathetic game plan is what is stalling development of players. How does being told ad nauseum to be 'strong' and put on pressure help you get better as a player?

chico2001
Club Player

yes, agree with the previous 2 posts. Tie those reasons together and you have a recipe for disaster.

lefty
Club Player

“sub-par development coaching that is now being rectified”.

That is exactly the problem. Development is s***.

I strongly believe that it's impossible for all our high end picks to be duds. It simply does not make any sense.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wright hasn’t been able to hit side of a barn from day 1 - what recruit g genius couldn’t watch his junior games and work that out ?? Inept by foot
Laugh if Goddard gets it together at Blues....years of dumb saints “development” right there

Hi Alan

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote: Thu 30 Aug 2018 2:41pm “sub-par development coaching that is now being rectified”.

That is exactly the problem. Development is s***.

I strongly believe that it's impossible for all our high end picks to be duds. It simply does not make any sense.
It is completely possible if you snap your achilles, get turf toe and heat stroke. Wright has copped it nearly as bad.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Question...
There’s been suggestion that Carlton are into Hugh, Hawthorn Minchington and Goldcaost Weller...

Does the fact that none of these guys have contracts or in one case already delisted mean we can’t trade them?