Newnes to Swans...rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Newnes to Swans...rumour

a very nice lady who runs a Saints FB group posted that rumour,
i wonder if he gets swapped for Hanners?

I remember being stunned when I heard that Ben McEvoy was going to the Hawks. Amazed that would happen.

So, we might have untouchables, but I think Newnes
is trade bait for the right price...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
silverhalo
Club Player

Re: Newnes to Swans...rumour

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 02 Oct 2018 5:14pm a very nice lady who runs a Saints FB group posted that rumour,
i wonder if he gets swapped for Hanners?

I remember being stunned when I heard that Ben McEvoy was going to the Hawks. Amazed that would happen.

So, we might have untouchables, but I think Newnes
is trade bait for the right price...
I'm not in favour of recruiting 'Hanners' but if we really need to go down that path, happy to give up Newnes for him.

saintadamski
Club Player

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!
Get Hanners - WIN
Lose Newnes - HUUUUGE WIN!!!!!

...WIN WIN!!!!

lefty
Club Player

I think Newnes is a good player imo, if played from back flank, not wing or forward. That's coaching, not player. He's been a decent player for years and all our players were poor in the first half. Seems people have short memories. Meh.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

A fit and in form Newnes is a passable link up player with good endurance who will never really do much damage to the opposition. I'd like to see us aim to fill our wing/half back spots with players with a much higher ceiling than his.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 1:43am I think Newnes is a good player imo, if played from back flank, not wing or forward. That's coaching, not player. He's been a decent player for years and all our players were poor in the first half. Seems people have short memories. Meh.
He is a good player. Not that long ago when some supporters were thinking he could be captain material. We can't afford to lose him.

groupie1
Club Player

If its a straight swap for Hannerbury... in a heartbeat

If its any other mechanism... do it in a heartbeat.

But when are we gonna hear the Weller to CG deal get sorted?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Hardly was alone this year in a sub standard performance.

Like any AFL player with limited pre season due to injury he struggled. Probably should have not been selected for the first month and made to do an extra preseason but given our lack of experience and leadership post Roo and Joey I think they selected him prematurely.

Not ever going to be elite but Newnes is a solid B grader and can play in multiple positions.

Valued IMHO.

And as a rule - if another AFL club wants you then you can play.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Myron Gaines
Club Player

I heard this about a month ago. Sydney going hard for him. Perfect time for Sydney to buy low. I think he’ll improve a lot in their system.

spert
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 8:50am Hardly was alone this year in a sub standard performance.

Like any AFL player with limited pre season due to injury he struggled. Probably should have not been selected for the first month and made to do an extra preseason but given our lack of experience and leadership post Roo and Joey I think they selected him prematurely.

Not ever going to be elite but Newnes is a solid B grader and can play in multiple positions.

Valued IMHO.

And as a rule - if another AFL club wants you then you can play.
Or, they can see a player who is not being developed or utilised correctly, and can be corrected with quality coaching.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Could be said for half the list at least.
How many have plateaued or gone backwards?
Single greatest reason to sack Richo IMO....even more than his deplorable win loss record.
Newnes will turn into a good athletic 60M kicking HBF and possibly premiership player at Sydney and good luck to him.

Nee!
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

If you have played any half decent level of footy, ask yourself is Newnes a player you would like to play on and there is your answer. He is basically non competitive when it comes to competing for 50/50 balls.

saintadamski
Club Player

A lot of Newnes fans here

Not really all that sure if any of them have watched a game with him play, or perhaps they did , and thought he was someone else?

Newnes never wins 1 on 1 contests, hardly ever tackles, is a ball watcher, and lacks any kind of X factor altogether.

He performed incredibly poorly on a weekly basis, yet was picked to play all season by our inept coach. Man crush?

I won't say anymore in case Sydney are reading this and I dissuade them from taking him

If Sydney are reading this...HE'S AN AWESOME TALENT AND YOU WOULD BE MAD NOT TO TAKE HIM!...please, please take him

bergsone
SS Life Member

Swap for Hanners more than happy with this,give em Weller as well

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Newnes 2 years ago was a different player.
He has become a shadow of the decent promising player he was....a team like Swans will be able to rekindle that and develop it.
I agree with trading him, but even more, lets replace the blokes who wrecked his development.

Nee!
Premium89
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 5:19pm Newnes 2 years ago was a different player.
He has become a shadow of the decent promising player he was....a team like Swans will be able to rekindle that and develop it.
I agree with trading him, but even more, lets replace the blokes who wrecked his development.
Yep - i was on the bandwagon for newnes, even as possible captain material. Sad to see him drop down so much - I too think he would flourish elsewhere, just hope that the "blokes who wrecked his development" have been cleaned out and the new brains trust around richo can elevate players like newnes!

chico2001
Club Player

He is worth one more year to see how he goes. Should be looking at a considerable improvement though. If Sydney picked him up then his work rate would have to dramatically rise with them, they wont tolerate a player who wont tackle.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

fugazi wrote: Wed 03 Oct 2018 5:19pm Newnes 2 years ago was a different player.
in 2017, in one passage of play, he was going hard- head down- for the ball against Shitney.
Concussed.

Before that game, he seemed to be a strong, skilled type on an upwards trajectory.

He changed after that, really changed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It has amazed me that the Saints have been screaming out for midfielders during Richo's time, but he hasn't tried guys like Newnes thru the middle. This is what really frustrates me about his coaching is his lack of flexibilty or capacity to think laterally at all.