3rd Tall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

3rd Tall

I thought we really missed the connection and lead up that Paddy gave us during JLT.

When Bruce went into into ruck the situation worsened. Leaving Membrey as the lone marketing option.

How many times did we get caught out bombing in with no avail.

Kent didn’t provide a solution.

A few options that may to fix it:

- Battle down forward and play Brown, Wilkie and Joyce
- Drop Kent. Play Marshall as 3rd forward / ruckman. Saves playing Bruce in ruck. Leave Marshall deep and get a Membrey and Bruce leading up. It’s actualy a better option than Paddy.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 3rd Tall

Agree. Pierce needs more support as well, and I hate seeing Bruce in the ruck.

Thought we had too many small forwards yesterday, Parker, Lonie, Gresham, Long and Kent. Of course Gresham is a lock, and he can play through the middle. Parker was aggressive and quick so he deserves another couple of games. Reckon we should pick 2 of the remaining 3 plus Marshall.

The_President
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:40pm Agree. Pierce needs more support as well, and I hate seeing Bruce in the ruck.

Thought we had too many small forwards yesterday, Parker, Lonie, Gresham, Long and Kent. Of course Gresham is a lock, and he can play through the middle. Parker was aggressive and quick so he deserves another couple of games. Reckon we should pick 2 of the remaining 3 plus Marshall.
I also hate seen Bruce in the ruck, but love seeing him around the ground.

Might be a case of when Pierce rucks, Marshall goes forward and Bruce has a license to roam around?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:21pm I thought we really missed the connection and lead up that Paddy gave us during JLT.

When Bruce went into into ruck the situation worsened. Leaving Membrey as the lone marketing option.

- Drop Kent. Play Marshall as 3rd forward / ruckman. Saves playing Bruce in ruck. Leave Marshall deep and get a Membrey and Bruce leading up. It’s actualy a better option than Paddy.
Paddy is a way better option up forward than Marshall based on proof in senior games.

Battle is a backman now.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

So if Paddy was fit and available would you select him? And who would you drop?

Also I believe Battle is a natural forward, one game in defense does not alter this.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 9:12pm
Rocket wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:21pm I thought we really missed the connection and lead up that Paddy gave us during JLT.

Paddy is a way better option up forward than Marshall based on proof in senior games.

Battle is a backman now.
Paddy can't see out a full game, or at least not consecutively. Since the Richmond game at the MCG when he broke his collarbone I haven't seen Paddy reach those heights again, except the once against GWS last year.
Let's be honest here, Marshall is at least physically resilient enough to be able to play games out as a resting forward/ruckman. I agree that Marshall hasn't stamped himself as a potential match winner as yet, and he may never do, but I think we need to be honest about where we are with Paddy, and the club must start planning for the future and stop living in hope. For whatever reason, he struggled in a marking contest with Caleb Daniel in the last practice match we played. If Marshall can develop into that third tall in the forward line, and play ruck, a lot of our problems will be solved.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 9:43pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 9:12pm

Battle is a backman now.
Paddy can't see out a full game, or at least not consecutively. Since the Richmond game at the MCG when he broke his collarbone I haven't seen Paddy reach those heights again, except the once against GWS last year.
Let's be honest here, Marshall is at least physically resilient enough to be able to play games out as a resting forward/ruckman. I agree that Marshall hasn't stamped himself as a potential match winner as yet, and he may never do, but I think we need to be honest about where we are with Paddy, and the club must start planning for the future and stop living in hope. For whatever reason, he struggled in a marking contest with Caleb Daniel in the last practice match we played. If Marshall can develop into that third tall in the forward line, and play ruck, a lot of our problems will be solved.
Most people know you speak sense but it's a bit hard for Marshall to develop when the coach doesn't play him.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Rocket wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:21pm
This is the most concerning part. This was a major downfall for us in 2018. Richardson highlighted it several times last year and our ball use going forward was a major focus over the off season. Absolutely nothing had changed on Sunday. Constant bombing and blind kicking inside 50, easily predicted and picked off by the opposition.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Play Pierce and Marshall together.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Acres

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

We lacked marking power in the forward half against the GC- our smaller/ mid players in general are not strong over their heads. Marshall is an obvious inclusion to stretch the Bomber backs. Kent looked promising but may have to make way. That's the only change I would make.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:45am
Rocket wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 8:21pm
This is the most concerning part. This was a major downfall for us in 2018. Richardson highlighted it several times last year and our ball use going forward was a major focus over the off season. Absolutely nothing had changed on Sunday. Constant bombing and blind kicking inside 50, easily predicted and picked off by the opposition.
First half we didn't bomb it and looked good.
Halfway through the third started bombing it and were terrible. Fatigue probably had a lot to do with it. It was hot and humid.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
nw7
Club Player

It was quite obvious that we needed a 3rd Tall, Marshall is the perfect player I was so surprised when he was left out. Bruce would have been able to stay forward, Marshall would have been a great backup ruck and caused the GC defence to restructure because of his height. I have no confidence he will be picked for the Bombers game, but I hope I'm wrong.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The best ruck arrangement we have had at the Saints was in 1997 with No 9 and No 10. One was able to drop back and take a contested mark and the other was able to run forward and take a contested mark. They could both win hitouts. Alas, they both went down within 20 minutes of footy and that was that. We need a 2019 version of 1997 , minus the jinx injuries.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

We need Marshall in the side. That seems to me like a no brainer.

The question is whether Lewis gets a game or not?

P.S
Looking fwd to 2021 when we have King and Marshall playing in tandem and Bruce at CHF.
Unstoppable.

Kilda
Club Player

Bruce is wasted in the ruck and it robs us of a key marking option up forward.