Margin (and crowd) vs the Cheeseboarders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Margin (and crowd) vs the Cheeseboarders

Crowd. I see some crowd predictions of only 34k.

Perhaps they're talking about the crowd size in the last qtr,
when Melb is behind by a few goals, and the cheeseboarders suddenly remember they hate
driving their Range Rovers amongst the peasants :shock: :oops:

OK crowd:

Margin:
don't get mad, but each time I predict we lose, well, we win. I don't want to jinx us !!!

Melbourne by 25

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Margin (and crowd) vs the Cheeseboarders

Crowd: Lots of reborn Sainters! and a few "Terence's from Toorak"

Margin: Anyone's guess!!!

I feel that this will be FAR more of a test for our boys than many are giving credit for. The Demons won well at the SCG. I'm hoping for that same level of aggression and ticker from the boys this week, and if they can replicate that effort we'll be right in the contest. GO SAINTS!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't know where you're posting from WellardSaint but the public transport from the southeast into, and out of, the city has been atrocious the past month or so. Getting to the footy has been a massive testament to our sanity and our patience - with the exception of the Essendon match.
It took me an hour just to get out of the underground car park leaving the ground on Sunday evening, because of the traffic congestion. Then I had to deal with the chaos in the city traffic. All four railway lines from suburban corridors where St Kilda and Hawthorn supporters live were out of action. I reckon maybe 5 or 7,000 people didn't go Sunday due to this.
This weekend will be more of the same with two southern suburban clubs playing, the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines out again, the Frankston line have no trains between Moorabbin and the city, and no Sandringham line trains again for the entire long weekend. Which is bad timing, because it is along these three lines where the majority of both of these teams live.
This time however anyone going has to just hope that the MCG carpark is open, which it isn't always.
Absolute joke. My tax dollars at work.
Margin: Saints by 7 points.
Crowd: 37,000
Last edited by samuraisaint on Tue 16 Apr 2019 11:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:57pm I don't know where you're posting from WellardSaint but the public transport from the southeast into, and out of, the city has been atrocious the past month or so. Getting to the footy has been a massive testament to our sanity and our patience - with the exception of the Essendon match.
It took me an hour just to get out of the underground car park leaving the ground on Sunday evening, because of the traffic congestion. Then I had to deal with the chaos in the city traffic. All four railway lines from suburban corridors where St Kilda and Hawthorn supporters live were out of action. I reckon maybe 5 or 7,000 people didn't go Sunday due to this.
This weekend will be more of the same with two southern suburban clubs playing, the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines out again, the Frankston line have no trains between Moorabbin and the city, and no Sandringham line trains again for the entire long weekend. Which is bad timing, because it is along these three lines where the majority of both of these teams live.
This time however anyone going has to just hope that the MCG carpark is open, which it isn't always.
Absolute joke. My tax dollars at work. My @rse.
I live on the Cranbourne?Pakenham line and I agree that this rail disruption has presented footy fans with huge challenges. For last Sunday's game, I left home at 11:30, walked to the Tram terminus at Carnegie and caught the 67 tram into the city. It was slow, BUT got me there! After getting off at Bourke Street, I then walked to Spencer Street, and met my pal Tom who was coming in by train from Lara. It is a pain in the neck, but this essential work has to be done, and this period of disruption WILL come to an end soon, with train services restored. I'll be using the 67 tram again for the Melbourne game. I'll alight at Fed Square and then walk along the Yarra to the game. It's not easy, but following the Saints AND putting up with public transport disruption makes for an interesting life!!!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:07pm
samuraisaint wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 8:57pm I don't know where you're posting from WellardSaint but the public transport from the southeast into, and out of, the city has been atrocious the past month or so. Getting to the footy has been a massive testament to our sanity and our patience - with the exception of the Essendon match.
Absolute joke. My tax dollars at work. My @rse.
I live on the Cranbourne?Pakenham line and I agree that this rail disruption has presented footy fans with huge challenges. For last Sunday's game, I left home at 11:30, walked to the Tram terminus at Carnegie and caught the 67 tram into the city. It was slow, BUT got me there! After getting off at Bourke Street, I then walked to Spencer Street, and met my pal Tom who was coming in by train from Lara. It is a pain in the neck, but this essential work has to be done, and this period of disruption WILL come to an end soon, with train services restored. I'll be using the 67 tram again for the Melbourne game. I'll alight at Fed Square and then walk along the Yarra to the game. It's not easy, but following the Saints AND putting up with public transport disruption makes for an interesting life!!!
Sure - but you think they'd stagger the closures on the different lines so that people can still use public transport relatively conveniently - Glen Waverley/Cranbourne/Pakenham/ Frankston AND Sandringham lines all weekend?!? Joke. Usually if I drive to the footy on a Sunday it isn't too bad, but if all of the lines are out in both team's suburban catchment it is just a nightmare. Made me hanker for VFL Park again!
This weekend will be the same except that the Glen Waverley line is okay I think. I haven't parked at the MCG for about seven years. The last time I tried we were playing Hawthorn there in 2012 I think it was, and they closed the carpark on that day, so I have no idea about access nowadays.
I just hope that after all this work they are doing to get rid of the crossings and moving the stations on the major lines that the service improves on weekends moving forward, because it has been a joke for the last couple of years, it really has.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

44319 and Demons by 9.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Saints 21

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I put a few gaps in your post to make it a bit easier to read.
WellardSaint was born in Melbourne many years ago, in the glory days of the red phone box with rotary dialler,
the 2 buttons marked "A" and "B",
and moved to Perth when mobile phones were becoming commonplace and SMS had just been unleashed on the public.
Have been back to Melbourne a few times since,
and have seen how horrendous the traffic can be, on a normal day, almost as bad as Tokyo,
so can understand the pain endured during sporting events.

It beggars belief that the major arteries of the train system can be totally shut down.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019 7:29pm

WellardSaint was born in Melbourne many years ago, in the glory days of the red phone box with rotary dialler,
and moved to Perth when mobile phones were becoming commonplace and SMS had just been unleashed on the public.
and have seen how horrendous the traffic can be, on a normal day, almost as bad as Tokyo,

It beggars belief that the major arteries of the train system can be totally shut down.
Kinda like your posts these days, even though we have had differences in the past. :) :D

I remember when my nan's phone number started with BL followed by 4 numbers , before that she has a wooden box with a lever on the side that you had to turn.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think that Dees have had a nice big break and will be looking to get their first win on home soil. Tom McDonald will destroy Nathan Brown and we won't be playing an undermanned midfield like we did against the Hawks. Melborne get the chocoltaes by 36, but...

I'll be there cheering the boys on for a another underdog win

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I THINK the reasons put forward for the works to be carried out in one "hit" was to have the disruption concentrated into one three week period, rather than stretch it out over a longer period...short term pain for long term gain? You're spot-on, it has been painful for Melburnians, but hopefully when this work has been completed, the city and it's public transport will be the better for it.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

In Perth, the crazy insane Saints fans will again congregate to worship at the
church called, appropriately, "The Saint" :lol:
all dressed in our finest religious vestments of R W & B
singing hymns of praise,
turning water into wine (and beer)
and breaking of bread (garlic) :mrgreen:
and offering up numerous prayers to vanquish Demons and return them to hell. :shock:

The plate will again be passed around, as the Western Saints is sponsoring the 2 Saints
Blake Acres (patron saint of midfield clearances)
and Dean Kent (former Demon who has disavowed Satan and all his works)

True story

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019 7:53pm In Perth, the crazy insane Saints fans will again congregate to worship at the
church called, appropriately, "The Saint" :lol:
all dressed in our finest religious vestments of R W & B
singing hymns of praise,
turning water into wine (and beer)
and breaking of bread (garlic) :mrgreen:
and offering up numerous prayers to vanquish Demons and return them to hell. :shock:

The plate will again be passed around, as the Western Saints is sponsoring the 2 Saints
Blake Acres (patron saint of midfield clearances)
and Dean Kent (former Demon who has disavowed Satan and all his works)

True story
I guess to cut a long story short, the public transport issues which will continue through Tuesday next week will impact crowd numbers. I think around 37,000 - definitely under 40,000. And the Saints to raise hell by 7 points.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 17 Apr 2019 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Traffic is more orderly in Tokyo, because, critical mass aside, in Tokyo they have a public transport system which works, is punctual and reliable, so people can use it with confidence.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Saints by 15

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019 8:32pm 38,221

Saints by 15
Everton to win? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaintsForTheFlag

60,000 - 65,000

Melbourne supporters only show up when they think they can win.
Saints by 22 although i'm concerned about our six day break vs their nine day break.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Will be in the MCC.

I'm predicting a nice mix of Camembert, some Manchego, a little Taleggio to go with some Bluefish pate and quince paste.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019 11:49pm Will be in the MCC.

I'm predicting a nice mix of Camembert, some Manchego, a little Taleggio to go with some Bluefish pate and quince paste.
I think I will have the filet mignon a la Notre Dame (= bien cuit).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne by 13 points.

But going to 4-1 would just about have me believing our team is capable of having a crack at the top eight.

This is a genuine test of where we are at. The competition knows we're not easybeats and Melbourne will bring their A-game, buoyed by a massive win last week.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Easter Saturday - Saints and Melbourne fans don't go glamping. Both sets of fans are looking forward to getting the chocolates after two excellent wins. Nice weather. Good venue. So crowd 50k.50,110 actually. We will kick 10 goals if we win so margin won't be great; suggest our average margin this year = 3points.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Apr 2019 7:29pm It beggars belief that the major arteries of the train system can be totally shut down.
Indeed. I grew up in Melbourne through the 60s to 80s, and left in '96 at a time when I thought Melbourne was just changing towards the trajectory we are still flying along. I knew the public transport system was underfunded and treated like a grumpy old maid..strikes, red-rattlers built in the 10s still going around etc., It's good to see it getting some funding but at what time did Melbournians accept that entire lines would shut down for week-end works? Insane!
On the Sandy line in the 70s, they moved Gardenvale station including moving elevatored (is that a passive verb? - it don't look right) a few hundred meters to accomodate the widening of the Nepean highway. Trains kept running. They crawled through the works area but they kept going. Everytime I visit now, I have to check to see which lines are 'down for the day'. It is just incredible.

living here in Japan in an old post-industrial area, decades after the Japan boom has been and gone, it is just unfathomable that an entire line would close for a weekend or even one day. There are works all the time and they take place at night. They are arranged that way. How did it happen that Melbourne has come to this? Don't get me wrong, it is nice they are investing, but really it sounds ridiculous and it must have happened slowly by stealth so that only folks like us, who have moved and come back, really notice it.

Rant over.

Go Saints.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

38k ish

60 + this week.

Our game plan made Melbourne look ordinary last year and we have improved it since then.

Dees can't stop the quick movement out of the backline and defending wide and we are probably the best at swtiching sides quickly and exposing teams in that area to then create the F50 entry, if we can get good delivery into the F50 on the back of that play then we will have a day out.

Ok I admit, I was wrong.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sat 20 Apr 2019 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 4:44pm Crowd: Lots of reborn Sainters! and a few "Terence's from Toorak"

Margin: Anyone's guess!!!

I feel that this will be FAR more of a test for our boys than many are giving credit for. The Demons won well at the SCG. I'm hoping for that same level of aggression and ticker from the boys this week, and if they can replicate that effort we'll be right in the contest. GO SAINTS!!!
I really have no idea who? and by which amount...I do think that these two sides would make a magnificent grand final experience together, and it could be reasonably soon too

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: