Drafting and Player Development

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

Drafting and Player Development

I think we have improved our effort, pressure and gameplan this season. Our big issue is we overate our players and list. Our drafting has been poor and player Development worse. We have changed our recruiting team which is a tick but I would like to know how our player Development has improved. Clarke and Coffield are top 10 picks and should be better and developing in the ones like the Cats are doing. I hope we use this year to develope our young players give them lots of opportunities. Like Reiwoltd recently we need to give our top 10 picks every chance to reach their potential not keep them out of the team because we play ok players that will always be C grade and B at the best. We are doing a lot of things better this year, King, Coffield and Clark are a big part of the future.

plugge12

Re: Drafting and Player Development

What has happen to Coffield. I rated him better than Hunter.
Give Coffield a chance in the seniors , also bailey rice.
White should also be playing in the seniors.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Jury is still out on our drafting from the National Draft IMO. We needed genuine elite midfielders we got 2 x HBF and a FF in the best mids draft in 18 years. Paton is the one positive only at this stage.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time we drafted an A grade star? Lord knows we’ve had plenty of high draft picks since Lyon left...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintadamski
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 11:25pm Jury is still out on our drafting from the National Draft IMO. We needed genuine elite midfielders we got 2 x HBF and a FF in the best mids draft in 18 years. Paton is the one positive only at this stage.
Completely agree.

IMO I don't think Clarke or Coffield are as incredible as the Saints marketing department make them out to be - and I also don't believe that they were the right types of players that the club needed.

We are often smashed in centre clearances and contested ball - we need gun midfielders.

On the bright side, I think Matthew Parker is a revelation.