Coff

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Special
Club Player

Coff

Mediocre footballer.

Not a Port teenager. Not in a million miles

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coff

Was rubbish. What is meant to be so good about him. Drop him to Sandy until he puts in a string of good games.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Not a good game to come back into the side.
When he first came into the side last year I thought he looked OK. They gave him a week off, went back to the VFL and when he came back late last year I thought he'd gone backwards. Still hope he comes good.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Shocking haircut. Way too early to call his footballing career.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

WTF, people target a 19 year old, an emergency call up & asked to stop a rampaging Port midfield? I'm sorry, your idea of development is worse than the club's. That's saying something!

Port wingers began lining up on the forward side, that's how bad our mids are. Yet he's copping it. Look at the chosen spuds who week in, week out serve up varying degrees of mediocrity.

We have AFL tampons playing in our seniors, once every four weeks they are valuable but somehow they stay in there despite 3 weeks of uselessness.

<1 day ban for demeaning players>

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Not bagging the kid for getting picked but how the selectors brought him in over white I do not know

As far as coff is concerned you would’ve hoped to have seen more for a pick 8 second season

#1 Ryder fan
older saint
SS Life Member

Crikey if we got rid of players after a poor game we would have no one left.
Drafted younger than all others . Give the lad time not all develop like Stephenson, Bontempelli, Judd, Cripps
Some take time like Hodge, Billings, Fyfe, Dal Santo, Montagna

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Another HBF who hardly looks interested this year? What's happened to the kid?

saintadamski
Club Player

Ok so the signs are not good for a player picked at number 8...yes he doesn't look particularly talented.... and true, the back line was under siege due to the worst midfield in the comp.

My main gripe though, is when a spud like Newnes keeps getting selected week in week out.

I pray that this ends once Richo has been shown the door.... please oh please let this end, and start giving more talented guys like Brandon White a few games.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:52pm Not bagging the kid for getting picked but how the selectors brought him in over white I do not know

As far as coff is concerned you would’ve hoped to have seen more for a pick 8 second season
I agree White should have played but he would have been crucified as much as Coffield. Let's look at our 40+ game players.

Who in the 22 today can you see being in our best 22 when (if) we play finals again? That question probably deserves its own thread and should include the rest of our list.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Seriously....a 2nd year player and a 19 year old getting pillared after having to deal with a Port avalanche and half his team mates not being 100%.

Give these kids a break.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cordz2
Club Player

Special wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:13pm Mediocre footballer.

Not a Port teenager. Not in a million miles
Just got off a 12 hour flight as a late call to tropical conditions to play for a team that is limping. Give the kid a break!!!!!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s what happens when you set ppl up to fail... not that it’s done intentionally.

I genuinely believe that Richo has no idea why calling up a 19yo that’s not tearing it up in the VFL, at the last minute to Shanghai to play in the heat with his team mate of lethargic players affected by a bug isn’t ideal development.

Bet Richo’s notes are... well Coffield’s not ready... needs another 7 weeks
Last edited by skeptic on Sun 02 Jun 2019 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:49pm WTF, people target a 19 year old, an emergency call up & asked to stop a rampaging Port midfield? I'm sorry, your idea of development is worse than the club's. That's saying something!

Port wingers began lining up on the forward side, that's how bad our mids are. Yet he's copping it. Look at the chosen spuds who week in, week out serve up varying degrees of mediocrity.

We have AFL tampons playing in our seniors, once every four weeks they are valuable but somehow they stay in there despite 3 weeks of uselessness.
This

No point targeting a weak scapegoat when the answer is quite simple. This football club needs a new head coach.

If there are issues with our players fitness, or skills, or understanding of gameplan, or cohesion with other backs and mids or preperation and attitude then questions need to be asked of The Head Coach

The new assistant coaches and the new players (especially the mature agers) have provided enthusiasm and have been the main reason we have performed ok in 2019, but the club cannot keep pretending that 2018 didn't happen.

2018 was such a disaster and the pressure on senior coaches and on senior players meant that certain areas of player development probably suffered. Last year will probably have some negative affects on several players and perhaps also be quite negative on the younger players who were at the club during that period of crisis.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I believe the club has underperformed in development of youth but kids are not only developed by the coaching staff they are mentored and developed by the clubs senior players.

Look at what Hodge is doing at Brisbane, he’s not worth a game as a player but is an onfield coach.

IMO we have a dearth in mature players with leadership qualities, they are probably not secure in their own positions and thus are not mentoring the young brigade.

Perhaps that’s why we were so desperate to bring in Hannebery.

Look at our senior core of players who played today 24 & above plus 50 games and tell me who is a strong inspirational leader?

Geary, Ross, Bruce, Newness, Brown, Savage, Membrey, etc.

Probably only Geary rates as a leader where good teams have 5 or 6 guys who could captain.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 8:36pm Seriously....a 2nd year player and a 19 year old getting pillared after having to deal with a Port avalanche and half his team mates not being 100%.

Give these kids a break.
Agree 100%

i think he will be a decent footballer.

Worth pick 8 ?

Either way it's way too early to call.

I remember flogs flagellating over Lenny Hayes in his first couple of seasons saying he is too slow and just a hack... seriously, not joking unfortunately.

Naturally i was already stating he would become a superstar.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good point Joffa

The key to a rebuild is to find a core group of draftees and young recruits and back them in so that they develop and grow together. As you say, they must get support from senior players who will mentor them in the seniors or at VFL level.

Watters had an opportunity to do a proper rebuild and focus on developing our next successful finals squad, but he was SACKED

The senior players at that time were more interested in what was benefecial for them as individuals instead of what was beneficial for the team. That was evident on match day. Take for example, the way our captain regularly behaved when things didn't go his way during that period or when one of the younger players didn't kick it lace out to him.

If you give too much control to senior players who are close to the end of their careers, their priority will be different to the CLUB's priority. The senior players want match day payments ahead of the younger blokes. They also pushed hard for the team to try and play finals as soon as possible. Perhaps this was also unrealistic and meant coaches were not looking after the next generation or pushing the senior players hard enough to be mentors of the next generation.

I think Roo was very good as a mentor for the last 2 years of his career but prior to that he was poor. As a player and as an embassador and as a representative of the St Kilda FC he is a living legend. As captain, he was inspirational during the Lyon years, however I feel that he was not the best person for the job once we bit the bullet and had to rebuild.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 02 Jun 2019 10:06pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crossy66
Club Player

Looked lost out there and was directly responsible for two port goals. Last year he showed he has very good foot skills though.

Too early to call but expected to see much more from him

Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

I do think he has regressed but it must be said for someone that ran a 2.92 20m in the combine, the size of muscle he has put on makes him look really slow. He used to instincitvely look to take the game on but I feel that has been coached out of him. Wasn't great today but went at 100% efficiency. I think he will come good; second year blues aren't uncommon...

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 8:39pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:49pm WTF, people target a 19 year old, an emergency call up & asked to stop a rampaging Port midfield? I'm sorry, your idea of development is worse than the club's. That's saying something!

This

No point targeting a weak scapegoat when the answer is quite simple. This football club needs a new head coach.

If there are issues with our players fitness, or skills, or understanding of gameplan, or cohesion with other backs and mids or preperation and attitude then questions need to be asked of The Head Coach

The new assistant coaches and the new players (especially the mature agers) have provided enthusiasm and have been the main reason we have performed ok in 2019, but the club cannot keep pretending that 2018 didn't happen.

2018 was such a disaster and the pressure on senior coaches and on senior players meant that certain areas of player development probably suffered. Last year will probably have some negative affects on several players and perhaps also be quite negative on the younger players who were at the club during that period of crisis.
Sitting with the Comrades this arvo, late in the 2nd stanza, unanimity - Coffield will be the 'sacrifice' at the alter of 'Rank Player Development' and, even worse, the 'Get Out Clause for 'Hierachical Systemic Failings Across the Board'.

The Comrades will be proven correct.

We have absolutely no idea if kids like Coff might be able to play, or not, because both the off and on ground leadership is just not commensurate with a $20M (protected) revenue institution.

Simply explained by the coach abandoning his players to go and 'comfort' his personal 'he's a bewdy' down in the catacombs well before the game was over.

The Comrades and I weren't shocked at such abandonment, but we were disgusted.

Interestingly, a Comrade who chose to evaluate the new game day watching facilities at RSEA Park, and arrived here at the off reservation bar facility once 'she' was all over, was asked upon arrival for todays seminal moment. His response, shock freakin' horror, was 'the coach abandoning his charges to check on his 'bewdy' down in the catacombs.

Just - not - viable.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

100% disposal efficiency

Josh Battle
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 11:29pm

This

Sitting with the Comrades this arvo, late in the 2nd stanza, unanimity - Coffield will be the 'sacrifice' at the alter of 'Rank Player Development' and, even worse, the 'Get Out Clause for 'Hierachical Systemic Failings Across the Board'.

We have absolutely no idea if kids like Coff might be able to play, or not, because both the off and on ground leadership is just not commensurate with a $20M (protected) revenue institution.

Simply explained by the coach abandoning his players to go and 'comfort' his personal 'he's a bewdy' down in the catacombs well before the game was over.

Interestingly, a Comrade who chose to evaluate the new game day watching facilities at RSEA Park, and arrived here at the off reservation bar facility once 'she' was all over, was asked upon arrival for todays seminal moment. His response, shock freakin' horror, was 'the coach abandoning his charges to check on his 'bewdy' down in the catacombs.

Just - not - viable.
Thanks for the reminder

I was also disgusted at how Richo deserted the playing group. There is now a seperate thread on this topic.

Could you imaging a leader of troops at war abandoning his soldiers to visit the medical tent during the fighting?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 9:59pm Good point Joffa

The key to a rebuild is to find a core group of draftees and young recruits and back them in so that they develop and grow together. As you say, they must get support from senior players who will mentor them in the seniors or at VFL level.

Watters had an opportunity to do a proper rebuild and focus on developing our next successful finals squad, but he was SACKED

The senior players at that time were more interested in what was benefecial for them as individuals instead of what was beneficial for the team. That was evident on match day. Take for example, the way our captain regularly behaved when things didn't go his way during that period or when one of the younger players didn't kick it lace out to him.

If you give too much control to senior players who are close to the end of their careers, their priority will be different to the CLUB's priority. The senior players want match day payments ahead of the younger blokes. They also pushed hard for the team to try and play finals as soon as possible. Perhaps this was also unrealistic and meant coaches were not looking after the next generation or pushing the senior players hard enough to be mentors of the next generation.

I think Roo was very good as a mentor for the last 2 years of his career but prior to that he was poor. As a player and as an embassador and as a representative of the St Kilda FC he is a living legend. As captain, he was inspirational during the Lyon years, however I feel that he was not the best person for the job once we bit the bullet and had to rebuild.
Seriously? Roo and and Joey were fantastic for the younger blokes in their last couple of years. Could easily be argued that our continued poor form coincides with both players retiring. We were only ever a threat to other teams when Roo was playing and playing well.

Watters was a disaster. Laying it all on Roo is incredible. This rebuild crap is sold to supporters to keep them patient. How many rebuilds have Geelong had? The Swans? The pies? WC? Even the Hawks. Our issues go far deeper than Roo.

We overpaid ALL our senior players, hence were forced to offload them. Also it caused us to fail to build any real depth or talent throughout the list once a couple of guys retired. The fact of the matter is, a lot of the young blokes that we are told to be patient with have not met expectations for various reasons. Off the top of my head I'm referring to McCartin, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Hugh Goddard, Hickey, Longer, etc etc. Our best player in the last 7-8 years has never made an AA team (and is currently on sick leave, appears likely to never play for the club again) and our next best retired 2 years ago and was deep into the back end of his career. I have zero confidence that Coffield will be any different to a crop of young players that we have drafted. They show promise but rarely become elite. Sure they get games, some of them. Billings is the most talented player we have drafted in the last 10 years, yet as far as I'm concerned, has still failed to reach close to my expectations of him. It's not entirely his fault.

But to blame Roo for this mess??

Crossy66
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 3:34am
The OtherThommo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 11:29pm

This

Just - not - viable.
Thanks for the reminder

I was also disgusted at how Richo deserted the playing group. There is now a seperate thread on this topic.

Could you imaging a leader of troops at war abandoning his soldiers to visit the medical tent during the fighting?
Poor comparison, and you are easily disgusted

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:02am 100% disposal efficiency
10 disposals and zero tackles. Newnes got a full season on those stats

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.