Courageous

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Courageous

Half a team out injured playing in the Townsville heat off a bye and we win. Great effort.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
portosaint
Club Player

Re: Courageous

Far from pretty... But it's another 4 points!

HighettMan
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:42pm Half a team out injured playing in the Townsville heat off a bye and we win. Great effort.
Seriously Curly it is a remarkable story building. We are only 1 game out of the 8.

I know this is a sensitive issue for some on SS but I actually think Alan coached brilliantly today considering just how bloody inexperienced the team was and the late injury to Steely. Alan took some risks and it paid off.

So much resilience through adversity.

Imagine what this list could achieve with a bit of luck on the injury front.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Gershwin
Club Player

There must be great team spirit to not give in and to keep fighting it out and therefore the credit must go to the senior coach - Richo.

summertime and the living is easy ........
HighettMan
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:59pm There must be great team spirit to not give in and to keep fighting it out and therefore the credit must go to the senior coach - Richo.
To turn things around the way they did speaks volumes of how the coaches and players are going about it this season. Through all of the adversity they are still believing.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:59pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:42pm Half a team out injured playing in the Townsville heat off a bye and we win. Great effort.
Seriously Curly it is a remarkable story building. We are only 1 game out of the 8.

I know this is a sensitive issue for some on SS but I actually think Alan coached brilliantly today considering just how bloody inexperienced the team was and the late injury to Steely. Alan took some risks and it paid off.

4 of the six wins were against the bottom 3 teams, so apply yourself some of your own pigs arse rub, Cairnsman. We have not beaten anyone in the 8 and we don't even look close to doing so.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 10:22pm

4 of the six wins were against the bottom 3 teams, so apply yourself some of your own pigs arse rub, Cairnsman. We have not beaten anyone in the 8 and we don't even look close to doing so.
Looked like beating Freo over there and but some horrendously biased umpiring could have beat Collingwood and West Coast.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 10:43pm

Looked like beating Freo over there and but some horrendously biased umpiring could have beat Collingwood and West Coast.
Without L Fisher chucking his Saints jumper back on we would have got done by the bottom side :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Some of the best comedy gold from the usual sycophants. I cheered the win and couldn't help but barrack for our boys as we mounted the comeback in the second and third quarters, but you just can't see this current coaching outfit ever achieving anything resembling greatness.

The best we can hope for is wins against the bottom 4 teams, regardless of our injuries and coming up against teams out of confidence and out of form

Our players deserve more

guitars4
Club Player

A wins a win definitely nothing that will make you want to watch the replay .So hard to watch just horrible from both teams :| . I can see why Gold Coast have lost 8 games in a a row I rest my case :(

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not a huge fan of Richo, but I felt sorry for him at times today. Players grubbing the ball along the ground , dropping easy marks and missing gettable goals. Can’t fault the players effort, but clearly the recruiters have prioritised effort over foot skills in recent years and we are paying the price.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There is some serious talent in the team and we have guys who also have some serious fighting spirit.

Marshall was awesome and his clearance work and ability to wrestle and grapple to win the footy went a long way to us getting over the line. Membrey was also crucial in that second half and after his muffed attempt in that first half he was clinical and clean. Both Marshall and Members willed the whole team along for the win today

It's interesting that when Membrey was first recruited to the Saints it took Richo about 18 months to work out that Members was a keeper. He dropped him in 2015 and 2016. There was debate whether he could fit in the forward line with Paddy and Roo and Bruce.

Membrey made it an easy choice for Cho with some outstanding results when he was given extended opportunity. I think Paddy got concussed and Cho was forced to give more responsibility to Tim.

Same thing with Marshall. Rowan was given responsibility and opportunity which was forced on the coach and he has categorically put it beyond doubt that he is THE best ruckman on the list by mile.

Last year he had Weller ahead of several players who were regulars in the VFL. He had Luke Dunstan out of the squad in the early rounds as well as for a large part of the year. He had Clark and Coffield both playing more games than Brandon White and he was forced to play DMac after continual losses with the same line up...not because he thought he was worthy (otherwise why wait until Round 10 when the side is going badly) but once again because the selection was forced upon him.

Unless the door closes shut on some of Cho's favoured players he does not have the aptitude to choose the best option and the best players for the team to improve

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 10:58pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 10:43pm

Without L Fisher chucking his Saints jumper back on we would have got done by the bottom side :)
The AFL admitted there was an incorrect free paid against Billings in the Freo game which cost us a goal. We would be in the eight now if the umpires had made the correct decision.

You know it makes sense.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 11:42pm I’m not a huge fan of Richo, but I felt sorry for him at times today. Players grubbing the ball along the ground , dropping easy marks and missing gettable goals. Can’t fault the players effort, but clearly the recruiters have prioritised effort over foot skills in recent years and we are paying the price.
I like what you've said Zed but I don't feel sorry for him because of the player's skill efforts. The question has to be asked what happens at training, once they get into the St Kilda system that turns once talented kids into the shells they are. Why are players who have been in our system for years not improving these skills?

I happened to find myself watching Collingwood train in 2008. There entire session involved being divided into pairs, 20 to 30 metres apart leading up and kicking to each other, all around the boundary line. At the time I didn't think much of it, thinking what an easy drill. I've watched them closely, they never miss a lead up, players know where to run and know where the 'out' is. They are well drilled. I'd like us to look like that. This is simple but effective in honing skills. Collingwood pick from the same draft we do.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

We have won so few games over the last couple of years so it's always good see one

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

It’s official. With Essendon in the eight, we are a better team than we were a month ago.

Well done Ratts!

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
HighettMan
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 8:43am

It’s official. With Essendon in the eight, we are a better team than we were a month ago.

Well done Ratts!
I'm arguing it was the defining moment of our season and has really put us in a "strong" position.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:56am
Zed wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 11:42pm I’m not a huge fan of Richo, but I felt sorry for him at times today. Players grubbing the ball along the ground , dropping easy marks and missing gettable goals. Can’t fault the players effort, but clearly the recruiters have prioritised effort over foot skills in recent years and we are paying the price.
I like what you've said Zed but I don't feel sorry for him because of the player's skill efforts. The question has to be asked what happens at training, once they get into the St Kilda system that turns once talented kids into the shells they are. Why are players who have been in our system for years not improving these skills?

I happened to find myself watching Collingwood train in 2008. There entire session involved being divided into pairs, 20 to 30 metres apart leading up and kicking to each other, all around the boundary line. At the time I didn't think much of it, thinking what an easy drill. I've watched them closely, they never miss a lead up, players know where to run and know where the 'out' is. They are well drilled. I'd like us to look like that. This is simple but effective in honing skills. Collingwood pick from the same draft we do.
Collingwood and a lot of other teams are continually lucky in the draft.

It’s all just bad luck of course

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 10:48am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:56am

Collingwood and a lot of other teams are continually lucky in the draft.

It’s all just bad luck of course
Bad luck and umpiring

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Well done Ratts!

even i can keep up with that !!

this coaching caper is easy
well done mr ratten

on the march ... go Saints

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.