Clark and Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Clark and Coffield

Seems like they are developing pretty good after all. A fair bit of time in the 2's never hurt anyone.

Clark's first quarter was one of the best I've ever seen from a young draft pick for a very long time. He was tough and hungry but his tank died out a bit which is normal for a 19 year old. He is very good in traffic. That is natural ability at its finest. Very hard to teach.

Coffield was equally just as good and it was a top first game back. He is poised and quite kick. Good skills too.

Both need to play all year now for development purposes for 2020. They will both end up having break out years very soon but patience is required.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Re: Clark and Coffield

Absolutely correct. Young players need time to build confidence and this is best achieved when they have a significant block of games.
Clark delivered what Saint supporters had been hoping for. He was cool under pressure and keen to take the heat. Very encouraging.
Coffield took time to calm the nerves and regularly passed the ball back to safer options. But as the game progressed so too did his confidence. He became more daring and showed us he is a player with a good future.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Club Player

the quicker these 2 come on the better we will be. Hunter is a two sided player, with a good side step (OK, a baulk) that gives him time to dispose of the pill. Compare Dustin Martin- who showed up the weakness of our kicking game with Seb Ross. Ross unable to pierce the man on man set up of the tigers as he will not kick on the right foot, always bails to the left and is so predictable opposition coaches easily corral him into sideways movement. Dunstan is similar.
Coffiield is also a good kick, once he gets a few games he will move up to the wing. No Newnes!
There is no point in going back to the tried and failed.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Who was on Sydney Stack?

saintbob
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 8:47pm Who was on Sydney Stack?
There were a few that ended up having a crack, but I think the same bloke that Cameron got hold of the week before started on him

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 8:47pm Who was on Sydney Stack?
Dan McKenzie, that's twice in two weeks he has been absolutely murdered by his direct opponent.

Crossy66
Club Player

I thought it was clark then wilke.
FWIW, I thought clark was very good, but I dont think he is a backman

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 12:21am I thought it was clark then wilke.
Hunter Clark was loose man in defence for most of the first quarter (hence the number of possessions). He then went onto Sydney Stack and later it was Callum Wilkie. Daniel McKenzie was beaten by a larger opponent. However, the best way to teach the defensive side to a potential mid is to play him in defence.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 12:12pm
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 12:21am I thought it was clark then wilke.
However, the best way to teach the defensive side to a potential mid is to play him in defence.
Very correct. It's a classic way to develop a kid that you want to be a true mid. Well done to Richo and the coaches for this round on the development front for Clark.

Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Agree draft picks need to be given time to mature.

It would be nice to see top ten pick play a handful of games in season 1 & 2, show some signs and then cement a spot in year 3 and start to impact in year 4.

There are some that explode earlier and some take longer but patience and good development is required.

It is premature to write off a young player early and just as naive to claim their bonafide development after one good game.

Let’s assess performance after stringing together 6-8 games in a row and gaining consistency over the next 12 months or so.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lethlean needs to tell Richo that Clark, Coffield and a few others stay in the senior team for the rest of the year. We need to fast track these guys.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 12:12pm However, the best way to teach the defensive side to a potential mid is to play him in defence.
I don't agree with that necessarily.

Defence as a midfielder, is different to defending as a defender.

I think the intention with Clark is to allow him to get the ball unopposed. Easy ball, basically.

That's the best way to develop someone - facilitate them utilising their strengths. I think in years 1 and sometimes 2, you need to hide them a bit. Get their head in the right spot, then once they learn to use their strengths at AFL level, you can develop their deficiencies. I think this is why the 2nd Year blues is often a thing.

Clark physically isn't ready to complete with grown men. But on pure skill he is - so we need to let him use that. In a year or so when he' knows he's a player, and his body catches up - we Cho him into a defesnive 'pressure' plodder with no instance if we want. But for now, let him play.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I thought Clark began the game shoulder to shoulder with Rioli. When Stack took that mark over him, it was because Hunter had to back into him as Stack had lost his opponent, hence the free run and jump.

I'm also not sure Clark got many easy possessions in that first quarter. Clark was simply where the ball was, good reading of a pack situation and what appeared a real desire to be involved and make an impact.

I look forward to seeing Clark and Coffield play a few more games in defence, then move up to the wing and hopefully joining the midfield rotations next year after another pre season.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

GT used to say his preference for young mids was starting them on a HBF where the ball came to them as opposed them having to go get it whilst adjusting to the speed on the game

food for thought

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Love to see both stay in the side for the rest of the season. Might help Coffield finally play in a win too!

barneyboyz
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 8:37am I thought Clark began the game shoulder to shoulder with Rioli. When Stack took that mark over him, it was because Hunter had to back into him as Stack had lost his opponent, hence the free run and jump.

I'm also not sure Clark got many easy possessions in that first quarter. Clark was simply where the ball was, good reading of a pack situation and what appeared a real desire to be involved and make an impact.

I look forward to seeing Clark and Coffield play a few more games in defence, then move up to the wing and hopefully joining the midfield rotations next year after another pre season.
We've been cut bad by the small forwards lately. I'd say to Robbie Young, "mate, wanna play seniors? here's a job for the rest of the year. We want you to play alongside Josh and kill off those pesky little bastards. Oh, and next year when you BOTH go back forward, you'll know what he looks like and stick real close"

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I was quite impressed by Coffield in the first half. Displayed a very cool head and was never flustered. Lost that a little in the second half, when the Tigers pounced in our half-fumbles.

Still, we got a window into the future and I was pretty happy with what I saw.

Saint supporter since '62
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think both Clarke and Coffield have shown good awareness, vision and decision making. I'm just hoping that equates to them both going on and becoming really good players for us.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Trixilver
Club Player

Is McKenzie a defender? If he is I doubt he's a lock down type defender. He's almost more valuable in the middle, just instruct him to hunt the ball from a tight situation and get it out. That's where I've seen him shine, this year he's been made to play on some dangerous small forwards I'm not sure that's his best role.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 8:22pm Is McKenzie a defender? If he is I doubt he's a lock down type defender. He's almost more valuable in the middle, just instruct him to hunt the ball from a tight situation and get it out. That's where I've seen him shine, this year he's been made to play on some dangerous small forwards I'm not sure that's his best role.
I'm with you there Trix, hope it doesn't cost him his spot

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: