Is there a phonetics expert in the house?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is there a phonetics expert in the house?

There has been much discussion about the Collingwood Vs St Kilda Chants. It seems like popular belief on here that the Collingwood chant is easily killed off by the St Kilda chant and this seems to be coming from people that were mostly sitting down on the lower levels. I can tell you that from almost the back row of Q50 that the Collingwood chant beats the St Kilda chant hands down. It also beats it on the TV. This has been troubling me since Saturday and in actual fact I was dreading their chant before the game because you knew it was coming after their preliminary final.
Is there somebody on here that knows something about phonetics? Maybe this might be a question for Dr Kruszelnicki. I’m thinking that it has something to do with the fact that both the St Kilda and Collingwood words have three syllables however we chant St Kilda with pauses in between each syllable whereas the Collingwood chant does not have pauses and is joined rhythmically with a singsong intonation to give it one melodic sound. The Collingwood chant I’m thinking would be easier on the larynx to as the St Kilda chant has to be yelled out.

From what I’m reading on hear the Saints fans don’t have any trouble coming together for a chant however I think it’s time we reviewed what we chant because this C o l l i n g w o o o o d thing is here to stay and we need to counter it.

karnak
Club Player

COLLLLLIIIIIWWWOBBLLLEEESSS

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

KILL IT ON THE SCOREBOARD.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:KILL IT ON THE SCOREBOARD.

S C O R E B O A R D D D D !

like that?

philtee
Club Player

7 goal first quarter would stop it fast.
It's so annoying because it's very effective - curse the Collingwood CS genius who came up with it, or rather,
stole it from English football. It only really comes out when they're on a roll, but when it arrives you feel that
the Pies "own" the stadium.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:7 goal first quarter would stop it fast.
It's so annoying because it's very effective - curse the Collingwood CS genius who came up with it, or rather,
stole it from English football. It only really comes out when they're on a roll, but when it arrives you feel that
the Pies "own" the stadium.
Thankyou. I was starting to think I was the only one.
It is effective. That's why I know it is here to stay. We have to get with the times.

sainta
Club Player

I think we need a constant SAINTS, SAINTS, SAINTS combined with perhaps some foot stomping, clapping or banging of flag poles on the ground and it can build up in speed.

That would stand out rhythm-wise compared to theres. Bit like the jungle drums if the stomping/flag banging took off (of course the club might not give out another 100 or so free ones this week!).

Helio
Club Player

Re: Is there a phonetics expert in the house?

Cairnsman wrote:There has been much discussion about the Collingwood Vs St Kilda Chants. It seems like popular belief on here that the Collingwood chant is easily killed off by the St Kilda chant and this seems to be coming from people that were mostly sitting down on the lower levels. I can tell you that from almost the back row of Q50 that the Collingwood chant beats the St Kilda chant hands down. It also beats it on the TV. This has been troubling me since Saturday and in actual fact I was dreading their chant before the game because you knew it was coming after their preliminary final.
It was barely noticeable at ground level of Southern Stand but might have been for the players.

I reckon "Saaaaint Kiiiildaaa" in the same pattern as their slow Collingwood, timed to start in the gap between theirs would ruin the effect completely & be enough to shut them up. We live in hope.

karnak
Club Player

Cutting into the Colllliiiinnngggwoooddd with St Kilda Clap Clap is effective. We could tell this by how Pie fans were then picking up the Collingwood clap clap chant in the bays around us.

However; I think that even a Saaiiiinnnnttt Kkiiiilllldddaaaa chant would be great.

We're not used to being as vocal as the premier league, however the great thing about the melodic chant (as already mentioned) is that it is easy on the voice. Doesn't require clapping (so that we could raise our scarves as well as sing with it)

I did here a bay near me start with a St Kilda melodic chant toward the end of the game. All it takes is a few people in a few bays to start it and it will catch on.

The key in the beginning is to keep it simple, we're not organised enough yet to have poems etc, but I'm sure they'll come in the future.

missgez
Club Player

Anyone know where to get hold of some vuvulezas? :wink:

Saggsy

karnak wrote:The key in the beginning is to keep it simple, we're not organised enough yet to have poems etc, but I'm sure they'll come in the future.
In the EPL, Tottenham sing "When the Spurs go marching in", but a little differently. They start off really slow, like the "Collingwood" chant, then speed up. With enough people singing, it puts the hairs up on the back of the neck, but that is Bristish soccer.

On you tube:

skip first 15 seconds.

Maybe this is simple enough to get us started, but a little different.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

missgez wrote:Anyone know where to get hold of some vuvulezas? :wink:
:lol: not a good idea, it may make cloke kick straight

philtee
Club Player

Vuvulezas ?
Prahran???

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our cheer squad should take some sheets of cardboard - about 75 cm long to the footy and then roll them into cones, just tape them together - that they can each chant into - that should raise the decibels a few notches.
Like makeshift megaphones.

Maybe someone could fashion some up and hand them to the cheer squad !

karnak
Club Player

That is briliant Saggsy!

Wish I was sitting at the St Kilda CS end. Would be more than happy to key up to start something like this with a few of you guys and gals.