Will Saints Trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Will Saints Trade?

Does anyone think the saints will trade this year?

With Monday's deadline you'd think the weekend would be spent setting trading strategies...

Anyone heard what the Saints may do?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
sRaf
Club Player

Has there been any speculation at all? Normally you'd hear a rumour or two but I haven't heard any (not saying much considering I've been avoiding media).

Would have liked to snatch up Bachar Houli, but his intentions are at Richmond. If we were to trade, I hope the mentality will be to trade for the future, not the next couple of years.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Only rumour so far has been that we're after Sam Sheldon from Brisbane but thats it. Very disappointed so far.

karnak
Club Player

and Travis.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

karnak wrote:and Travis.
Geez I hope not...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:
Geez I hope not...
Johnstone not Cloke.

It's ok you're safe. :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Very disappointed so far.
Why? Ablett is tied to Gold Coast. Swan is tied to GWS. Who do we want? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Only rumour so far has been that we're after Sam Sheldon from Brisbane but thats it. Very disappointed so far.
well if we gain nothing from trade week at least we won't have any extra duds in the side.

That's a small win!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MadSaintFan
Club Player

Alot of people upset by the lack of action, but if theres no one available who can add anything to our team then theres no point trading. Far better off to keep our picks, inject some young and re-generate.

The improvement in our team next year will come from Armitage, Stanley, Miles, Geary, Heyne, Lynch. Not from B/C Grade players from outside clubs.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I want us to trade some of our slow players for draft picks. Surely some lowere club would like a player with multiple grand final appearances?

Furphy
Club Player

Unforunately we haven't had any early draft picks for the last seven years. Our only hope is we can come across a "dark horse" in the draft. We won't be finding diamonds in the footy scrap heap. This is why some clubs decide to become underacheivers for a couple of years.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Furphy wrote:Unforunately we haven't had any early draft picks for the last seven years. Our only hope is we can come across a "dark horse" in the draft. We won't be finding diamonds in the footy scrap heap. This is why some clubs decide to become underacheivers for a couple of years.
It's getting to the point where you just about HAVE to have a few years at the bottom and a number of top 5 draft picks to challenge for the flag I think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Furphy wrote:Unforunately we haven't had any early draft picks for the last seven years. Our only hope is we can come across a "dark horse" in the draft. We won't be finding diamonds in the footy scrap heap. This is why some clubs decide to become underacheivers for a couple of years.
It's getting to the point where you just about HAVE to have a few years at the bottom and a number of top 5 draft picks to challenge for the flag I think.
Well that's a matter of opinion.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
That will happen in it's own course most likely in about 3 years time when our stars become older, less infleuential players

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
That will happen in it's own course most likely in about 3 years time when our stars become older, less infleuential players
So what is the general concensus here? Is our "window" of premiership opportunity still open?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
So what is the general concensus here? Is our "window" of premiership opportunity still open?
For me, it depends heavily on whether or not Lenny can go again next year. And I don't me go again as in play, but as in play as well as he did this year. The rest of our top 10 will be right to go, but Lenny might start to slow down.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
For me, it depends heavily on whether or not Lenny can go again next year. And I don't me go again as in play, but as in play as well as he did this year. The rest of our top 10 will be right to go, but Lenny might start to slow down.
He's not showing any signs of that.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
He's not showing any signs of that.
Agree, but it can happen suddenly. Hopefully Armo can take up any slack.
But we can't keep expecting the same from Lenny for another 2-3 years, he will have to slow down at some point.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I don't see how we can just reload with under 18's from the draft and expect improvement next year,unless they have scanned the major leagues interstate and have their eye on a couple of players.If there are any decent mature age recruits out there then most clubs would be aware of them anyway.

it's all wait and see from here...if there are no trades then the de-listing phase will be VERY interesting...i want to know who Ross thinks doesn't cut it...

We may well slide a bit next year...unless our depth is better than we think...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:I don't see how we can just reload with under 18's from the draft and expect improvement next year,unless they have scanned the major leagues interstate and have their eye on a couple of players.If there are any decent mature age recruits out there then most clubs would be aware of them anyway.

it's all wait and see from here...if there are no trades then the de-listing phase will be VERY interesting...i want to know who Ross thinks doesn't cut it...

I think your last point is the big one. I think our improve will come from within.
Any of these players could make a real impact next year:
Armo
Raph- Starting to look really good before injury
Stanley
Walsh
Miles
Smith
Lynch
Geary
Steven

It only takes 2-3 of them to really step up, and all of a sudden our 'bottom 6' becomes a 'bottom 3'

Furphy
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I don't see how we can just reload with under 18's from the draft and expect improvement next year,unless they have scanned the major leagues interstate and have their eye on a couple of players.If there are any decent mature age recruits out there then most clubs would be aware of them anyway.

I think your last point is the big one. I think our improve will come from within.
Any of these players could make a real impact next year:
Armo
Raph- Starting to look really good before injury
Stanley
Walsh
Miles
Smith
Lynch
Geary
Steven

It only takes 2-3 of them to really step up, and all of a sudden our 'bottom 6' becomes a 'bottom 3'

I hope you're right, I really do.

BallBanger
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I want us to trade some of our slow players for draft picks. Surely some lowere club would like a player with multiple grand final appearances?
Bottom clubs don't want them on their list how did they play in our grand final side?
Sandy missed finals!

Our list mangement has been very average and if we had developed some youngsters over the last 5-6 yrs we would not be in this position and possibly won the grand final...very hard when you don't develop then finding you don't have time to.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I want us to trade some of our slow players for draft picks. Surely some lowere club would like a player with multiple grand final appearances?
Why would they?
Why should they?

If they did trade they would only give up pick 80 odd anyway which is of little use to us.

I think the Saints still may trade...but only if someone is going for cheaper than they are worth. So something may present on Monday.

Looking at our 22...and players like Stanley, Miles, Steven, Armo, A Smith etc I have not seen a lot of players so far that we could have gained that would be any better than this group anyway.

We are tight on salary cap..so cannot afford big $$$. Therefore the players that could make a real difference where not availble to us.

Equally our fringe players are not likely to excite other teams much...except the oes that we want to keep like stanley and Steven.

Krakour interested me...but with Fraser to GC, the Pies had the inide running there.

Improvement for 2011

* Mainly needs to come from our young fringe players of which we have quite a group of at an age where they should be capable of stepping up. Don't need them all to. But yes need say at least two to become regulars in 2011.

* Getting Gram's body right. He had little impact in 2010.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kalsaint
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:
Geez I hope not...
Johnstone not Cloke.

It's ok you're safe. :wink:
Not sure that "safe" is the word I would use. There are surely better options to increase midfield strengths?!!

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency