New Linen House facility in Seaford - update and video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:The picture Seaford painted in my head was of a nice,slightly upper class bayside suburb,then I ventured into the housing market and saw it...

Wowee,that suburb would have to be the worst outer suburb in Melbourne. If it wasn't bayside you might as well burn it down. I got flash backs of some of the terrible streets I'd see when I was living in Darwin....at least Darwin has coconut trees and Gecko's to keep you amused.

Why would any of the players want to travel out there. It's common sense to not want to
LOL '"if it wasn't bayside" i think what you mean is "if it weren't bayside"
and if your mrs didn't have tits she'd be your brother.
it hits the acropolis mansions and air traffic of moorabbin for six mate.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hey barks, I'm sure there is a brothel you could visit in Seaford.

Dunno what your obsession with St Kilda as a suburb is based on.

We haven't played there for nearly 50 years.

Get a grip!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:For comparison the longest trip for Victorian Based clubs would supposedly be Geelong- and some players do live in Melbourne- I have just taken Port Melbourne as a ;point for referance- and knew that some Saints had lived in that area.

Port melbourne - Skilled Stadium
1 hour 8 mins Princes Fwy 73.6 km

Port Melbourne - Linen House Centre
47 min Eastlink and Monash Fwy 53.3 km
1 hour 6 mins Nepean Hwy 40.0 km
1 hour 14 mins Nepean Hwy and Beach Rd 43.3 km

Sandringham- Linen House Centre
42 mins Nepean Hwy 26.4 km
South Rd - Linen House center
44 mins Nepean Hwy 28.0 km
So Melbourne to Seaford is a tad shorter than Melbourne to Geelong and not 20 minutes as the SepticSaint suggested earlier.

In any case, the travel time wouldn't be so much of a big deal if the facility was as good as it gets.

That is the most pertinent point here IMO. Footballers will travel far and wide if it meant being paid top dollar to play for a successful club and a training centre is pivotal.

However, all things being equal, most footballers would pick an inner-city club over one based in Seaford.

Training centre costs after a quick google:

Adelaide - 21 million
Carlton - 19 million
North Melbourne - 15 million
St Kilda - 11 million

At least we're trying to stay in touch which is a good thing but I must admit a 20 million dollar facility would've been a massive statement from the club. Although, spending within our means is probably more important I guess.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The one thing about Seaford is it will be easy to park, living in the inner city is a pain in the arse when it comes to parking. You try parking anywhere near Visy and you're doing good. It takes 20 mins just to park around there.

If they could get Lin Fox to drop them in seaford in his copter we're all good.
You obviously haven't been there. There's nowhere to park.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Like I said on the previous page, if you'd care to scroll back Sir,
I'd question the accuracy of the quoted figures on travel time.

1. Because I know for a fact that it takes less time than that quote and,
2. If we all relied on GPS and didn't take into account that things change over time we'd all be stuck in a blogging cave.

I maintain that Seaford to the CBD is approx. 21.5 mins

EDIT:
3. It can be done in 10mins with no respect for the speed limit.
Last edited by ChicagoSaint on Wed 13 Oct 2010 9:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
saintbrat wrote:For comparison the longest trip for Victorian Based clubs would supposedly be Geelong- and some players do live in Melbourne- I have just taken Port Melbourne as a ;point for referance- and knew that some Saints had lived in that area.

So Melbourne to Seaford is a tad shorter than Melbourne to Geelong and not 20 minutes as the SepticSaint suggested earlier.

In any case, the travel time wouldn't be so much of a big deal if the facility was as good as it gets.

That is the most pertinent point here IMO. Footballers will travel far and wide if it meant being paid top dollar to play for a successful club and a training centre is pivotal.

However, all things being equal, most footballers would pick an inner-city club over one based in Seaford.

Adelaide - 21 million
Carlton - 19 million
St Kilda - 11 million

At least we're trying to stay in touch which is a good thing but I must admit a 20 million dollar facility would've been a massive statement from the club. Although, spending within our means is probably more important I guess.
If bloody no-hopers North can spend 4 million more than us, you have to wonder.

I can only assume they will have better facilities than us, unless the costings include land acquisition.

But in the case of North, it's on Arden st, which is there turf, so I don't think that's the case.

Am I missing something???

How can North afford 4 million more debt than us????

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Seaford to the CBD can be done in 10mins with no respect for the speed limit.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Beej wrote:

Adelaide - 21 million
Carlton - 19 million
St Kilda - 11 million

I can only assume they will have better facilities than us, unless the costings include land acquisition.

But in the case of North, it's on Arden st, which is there turf, so I don't think that's the case.

did you see today the government announced a funding increase on the requirement that they share arden street with the melbourne tigers.

the tigers ROFL what a bunfight!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
It is because they are almost broke and are constantly being bailed out by sympathetic non-supporters (take the membership drive 2 years ago) and being propped up by the AFL. Will be interesting to see whether or not they are in the red or the black this year. Also, as they don't have the exclusive use of the centre, quite a few other groups would be throwing money into the coffers for the build.

I would rather our club spend within their means as against running at a $5 million dollar loss like the Bulldogs.

Bigger and/or more expensive does not equate to 'better'.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:The picture Seaford painted in my head was of a nice,slightly upper class bayside suburb,then I ventured into the housing market and saw it...

Wowee,that suburb would have to be the worst outer suburb in Melbourne. If it wasn't bayside you might as well burn it down. I got flash backs of some of the terrible streets I'd see when I was living in Darwin....at least Darwin has coconut trees and Gecko's to keep you amused.

Why would any of the players want to travel out there. It's common sense to not want to
It's a training facility FFS!

No one asking any of the players to live there :roll:

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Beej wrote:

Adelaide - 21 million
Carlton - 19 million
St Kilda - 11 million

8 million of North's 15m facility will be funded by the government apparently.

Ours will be "funded by a four way partnership between the Club, Frankston City Council, State Government and AFL"

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saint75 wrote:I would rather our club spend within their means as against running at a $5 million dollar loss like the Bulldogs.

it doesn't matter, smorgen will pay for it wont he.........??

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

It's a training facility FFS!

No one asking any of the players to live there :roll:
Yeah, whether the area is good or bad is irrelevant IMO. It's the standard of the facility and travel time which is most important.

Some massive sporting clubs around the world are based in absolutely dire areas that make Seaford look like Monte Carlo.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

ChicagoSaint wrote:
saint75 wrote:I would rather our club spend within their means as against running at a $5 million dollar loss like the Bulldogs.

Who's smorgen? I know David Smorgon is the pres. :twisted:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:Like I said on the previous page, if you'd care to scroll back Sir,

2. If we all relied on GPS and didn't take into account that things change over time we'd all be stuck in a blogging cave.

EDIT:
CBD to Seaford cannot be done in 21.5 minutes, It is nearly 40km as the crow flies.
You are talking garbage.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:

Who's smorgen? I know David Smorgon is the pres. :twisted:
my bad. 2hrs online and i make one mistake. smorgo will pay for it........??

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:Like I said on the previous page, if you'd care to scroll back Sir,

EDIT:
CBD to Seaford cannot be done in 21.5 minutes, It is nearly 40km as the crow flies.
You are talking garbage.
Going via Eastlink and then the Monash i'd say 35 to 40 mins to the CBD
40-55 via the Frankston Fwy and then Nepean

Although you could reach most of the Southern and Eastern suburbs and most of the Peninsula within 30 mins.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:

EDIT:
You are talking garbage.
give me a high-powered kawasaki with fake plates and the quote is about 8 mins door2door.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
gringo wrote:The one thing about Seaford is it will be easy to park, living in the inner city is a pain in the arse when it comes to parking. You try parking anywhere near Visy and you're doing good. It takes 20 mins just to park around there.

Absilutely right. THere is NO WAY they can have intraclub or a post match gathering like the other Sunday there

NO carpark like Moorabbin, far less street parking than Moorabbin, and the train station is 45 mins walk away id estimate

Im not knocking the facility..but its for training and nothing more

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Ice Wolf wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

EDIT:
You are talking garbage.
Going via Eastlink and then the Monash i'd say 35 to 40 mins to the CBD
40-55 via the Frankston Fwy and then Nepean

Although you could reach most of the Southern and Eastern suburbs and most of the Peninsula within 30 mins.
'pends what time of day.
don't forget the extra lane on citylink and that flow is in opposite direction.
off-peak Seaford to CBD is under 30mins CBD to Seaford off-peak is approx. an extra 4mins.
it can not be forgotten that one experiences no traffic lights whatsoever.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Absilutely right. THere is NO WAY they can have intraclub or a post match gathering like the other Sunday there

NO carpark like Moorabbin, far less street parking than Moorabbin, and the train station is 45 mins walk away id estimate

Im not knocking the facility..but its for training and nothing more
you can have tacos at home then champ :wink:

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:my bad. 2hrs online and i make one mistake.
that's what your old man said after he met your mum on Adult Matchmaker and had you.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

oooOOOOOH NO YOU DITENT!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

:lol: