Rumours Saints are keen on Travis Johnstone.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Spinner wrote:Johnstone has been delisted.

Wouldnt be the worst second hand player we'd picked up.

Ahead of Birss, Gardiner, Peake, Patterson....

f*** it just get him. At least he can kick.
Not ahead of Peake.

Some people forget very easily. Lots of people were really impressed with him during the season. Lots of players played a poor grandfinal.
Should we claim that Johnstone is better than Roo?
Peake also had a 4 game stint at Sandi during the year.... Couldn't have been that good.

Played one good game against the dogs... That's it

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

problem with Peake was he was awful when it really mattered.. 2 weeks in a row

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Peake turned the ball over a bit, but he also struggled with indecision when in possession (as did others) because often nobody was inside 50.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:problem with Peake was he was awful when it really mattered.. 2 weeks in a row
True, but we don't need the likes of this long haired hippy to put the pressure on Peake & Co.

That's where our young guns, plus Raph, come into the picture.

Yeah we're in our "window" and all that but in the absence of someone exceptional, I'd prefer to concentrate on youth in the upcoming Drafts.

onlooker
Club Player

Tom_Sainter wrote:problem with Peake was he was awful when it really mattered.. 2 weeks in a row
In an earlier post I said that the Club rolled the dice with Peake to try and introduce pace. IMO it hasn't worked. He is OK running on his terms in space but he is inconsistent, his delivery by foot is average at best, and his decision making when the pressures on in the crushes is poor. We need to give some of our younger players the opportunity to at least see if they can play at this level and Peake is one of the players who must make way. We will lose nothing.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:That's where our young guns, plus Raph, come into the picture.
It's hard to think that Raph would be capable of playing premiership football, especially with emphasis on defence. He plays better where the 'sting' is out of matches. We need players who are firm under pressure.

But of the young guys, absolutely, looking forward to many of our kids getting a bigger run next year.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 29 Oct 2010 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:That's where our young guns, plus Raph, come into the picture.
It's hard to think that Raph would be capable of playing premiership football, especially with emphasis on defence. He plays better where the 'sting' is out of matches. We need players who are firm under pressure.

But of the young guys, absolutely, looking forward to many of our kids getting a bigger run next year.
I'm a Raph fan but I can understand some still have concerns about him.

Yet, but for a bit of luck he could have been a Premiership player in 2009.

And I was speaking in the context of Peake and his disappointing GFs. On that point perhaps a fit Raph, in place of Peake, could have been a Premiership player in 2010.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

My apprentice plays for Frankston and he says that when Raph plays VFL he is a class above everyone else.Hope Raph can eventually show that at AFL level but it may never eventuate..

the Clarke boys haven't really delivered in the manner expected or hoped...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

I thought in the 2009 prelim against Dogs, under pressure the only one giving us any real drive off the backline was Raph Clarke.

Its not that hes incapable of doing this - he lacks the consistency in his game that a Gwilt has now been able to put together.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I thought in the 2009 prelim against Dogs, under pressure the only one giving us any real drive off the backline was Raph Clarke.

Its not that hes incapable of doing this - he lacks the consistency in his game that a Gwilt has now been able to put together.
Raph's x-factor is his creativity and his natural instincts when he doesn't overthink it...any reason it has to be on the last line of defence?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Raph's x-factor is his creativity and his natural instincts when he doesn't overthink it...any reason it has to be on the last line of defence?
No and I previously had hopes for Raph as that third tall fwd option.......when hes been tried there he hasnt set the world on fire.....thats not to say Ive given up on that idea but right now I reckon Raph needs some confidence and consistency in his footy and the best spot for him to get that IMO is down back for now.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

No and I previously had hopes for Raph as that third tall fwd option.......when hes been tried there he hasnt set the world on fire.....thats not to say Ive given up on that idea but right now I reckon Raph needs some confidence and consistency in his footy and the best spot for him to get that IMO is down back for now.
I'm just not when he turns the ball over and it results in a goal, that it's done much for his confidence thus far. Is there somewhere else he could build his confidence, where his mistakes don't have quite the same impact?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I'm just not when he turns the ball over and it results in a goal, that it's done much for his confidence thus far. Is there somewhere else he could build his confidence, where his mistakes don't have quite the same impact?
Ive seen Sam Gilbert be disastrous and turn the ballover in defence.I think Raph is much maligned cause he got caught with the ball in a GF. IMHO in recent times Raph - when not injured and playing with confidence - has been good down back. Hes a great size, can take a grab and is quicker than you realise.

Playing him in defense has at times been tough but I reckon it will undoubtedly assist Raph's decision making and him as a footballer overall.

“Yeah….nah””
smasherini
Club Player

I have a different view on Travis.I know they are saying we don't have room in our salary cap but surely the exit of Lovett would provide some.Johnstone would come cheap and would be a good bloke to have around in case of injuries,suspensions etc.I know he has some shortcomings but I do think he has enough upside to take into account.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

sorry smasherini he's just too frigging old.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Ive seen Sam Gilbert be disastrous and turn the ballover in defence.I think Raph is much maligned cause he got caught with the ball in a GF. IMHO in recent times Raph - when not injured and playing with - has been good down back. Hes a great size, can take a grab and is quicker than you realise.

Playing him in defense has at times been tough but I reckon it will undoubtedly assist Raph's decision making and him as a footballer overall.

Plus Raphael is a great kick. Doesn't get credit for his kicking.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm a fan of Raph, I just don't reckon the defensive role has been confidence building, IMO.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Still think we havn't seen the best of Raph. On Johnstone, i would prefer the club use younger players and give guys like Geary every game, if they do pick up Johnstone i wouldn't be too against it, however i get the feeling we wont pick him up

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Surely we wont consider another has-been! We are only going to have 2 or 3 picks in the draft, other than rookies. Dont waste them on rejects from other clubs.

saintphantom
Club Player

If Gardiner retires then maybe Saints should be looking at Wayde Skipper...not a hack in HOBO!!!

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Its not that hes incapable of doing this - he lacks the consistency in his game that a Gwilt has now been able to put together.
and that consistency comes from stringing 20+ consecutive games together.

IF Raph can get fit for round 1 and stay fit until the finals then he will be an important player come finals. But as we ll know, he just cant string consecutive games together.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Travis Johnstone is a far better player than Peake. Would have him over Peake anyday. Voss is an imbecile, has no management skills

Another opportunity awaits!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ive seen Sam Gilbert be disastrous and turn the ballover in defence.I think Raph is much maligned cause he got caught with the ball in a GF. IMHO in recent times Raph - when not injured and playing with confidence - has been good down back. Hes a great size, can take a grab and is quicker than you realise.
Great size, but lacks body strength and has awkward positioning. Also has difficulty reacting quickly when the ball hits the deck.

I don't malign him at all for his horrific GF moment - those things are pretty much a weekly occurrence with Raph. The problem is his mistakes are often a catalyst for shifting momentum to the opposition. A goal from a turnover inspires incredible belief in the opposition - it shows how susceptible we are to pressure.

I think your Gilbert example is a good one. He's a turnover merchant; not so much in direct turnovers, but in hospital kicks and hand passes - these are the ones the stats don't capture.

However, when you throw Dawson into the mix as well, that's potentially three players in our backline who can't stand pressure. Add Gram, whose kicking can range between reasonable and diabolical, and it's no wonder we couldn't break the Collingwood zone in GF2.

I simply shudder to think at how Raph would have gone in either match. He'll have the odd good match (2008 PF when the sting went out of game, 2009 PF - showed composure) but he's been superceded by Gwilt IMO.
Look, it probably will. But ultimately, you need results.

He's been at the club since November 2003. How long can you take? And is our compulsive need to see him develop actually taking a place away from our other young defenders?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Teflon wrote:Ive seen Sam Gilbert be disastrous and turn the ballover in defence.I think Raph is much maligned cause he got caught with the ball in a GF. IMHO in recent times Raph - when not injured and playing with confidence - has been good down back. Hes a great size, can take a grab and is quicker than you realise.
Great size, but lacks body strength and has awkward positioning. Also has difficulty reacting quickly when the ball hits the deck.

I don't malign him at all for his horrific GF moment - those things are pretty much a weekly occurrence with Raph. The problem is his mistakes are often a catalyst for shifting momentum to the opposition. A goal from a turnover inspires incredible belief in the opposition - it shows how susceptible we are to pressure.

I think your Gilbert example is a good one. He's a turnover merchant; not so much in direct turnovers, but in hospital kicks and hand passes - these are the ones the stats don't capture.

However, when you throw Dawson into the mix as well, that's potentially three players in our backline who can't stand pressure. Add Gram, whose kicking can range between reasonable and diabolical, and it's no wonder we couldn't break the Collingwood zone in GF2.

I simply shudder to think at how Raph would have gone in either match. He'll have the odd good match (2008 PF when the sting went out of game, 2009 PF - showed composure) but he's been superceded by Gwilt IMO.
Look, it probably will. But ultimately, you need results.

He's been at the club since November 2003. How long can you take? And is our compulsive need to see him develop actually taking a place away from our other young defenders?
Why do people think Zac is dodgy under pressure.
He was equal player of the finals under the B&F rating system, should prove otherwise, once and for all shouldn't it?