Gardiner probably to play on.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner probably to play on.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... o-play-on/

VETERAN AFL ruckman Michael Gardiner is on the verge of confirming he will continue his career at St Kilda after radical stem cell surgery on his troublesome knee.

Saints big man Michael Gardiner looks set to play on next season

Getty Images
PrevNextGardiner and St Kilda could make his announcement before next week’s AFL national draft on the outcome of recent discussions with Saints coach Ross Lyon.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gardiner probably to play on.

saintly wrote:...after radical stem cell surgery on his troublesome knee.
seriously? how could that possibly fail?

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

absolute champion. never any doubt. first picked. hawks would kill for the big show.

busso mick
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
What do you mean bergholt? I don't think there are any guarantees with any surgery, particularly ground-breaking stuff like this. I presume they are trying to regrow cartilage in his knee from his own cells. FWIW I have just had radioactive injections in both my knees to stop the progression of arthritis, so I will follow Gardis progress with interest.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
bergholt wrote:
What do you mean bergholt? I don't think there are any guarantees with any surgery, particularly ground-breaking stuff like this.
i was being sarcastic. my opinion, without any medical knowledge, is that it sounds like one of those things that will lead to him playing zero games next year. but the lars surgery sounded similar to me when it was first being used, so maybe it's fine?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Need the big fella going around for another year...... hopefully two or three if this stem cell stuff works.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I provided the stem cells. Will work a treat ;)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I provided the stem cells. Will work a treat ;)
Maybe you'll get them back some time in the future - as Premiership stem cells :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If he has been as good as he has been in recent times without the ability to really jump, imagine how good he could be with the worst of his knee troubles behind him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If he has been as good as he has been in recent times without the ability to really jump, imagine how good he could be with the worst of his knee troubles behind him.
Has he really been good? Maybe I just dont like him or something but I reckon he has been a top 5 player 6 times in 3 years which equates to twice a year. To me he is a good ordinary ruckman who happens to play in a side with many other great players and some other ordinary ruckmen.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:If he has been as good as he has been in recent times without the ability to really jump, imagine how good he could be with the worst of his knee troubles behind him.
Has he really been good? Maybe I just dont like him or something but I reckon he has been a top 5 player 6 times in 3 years which equates to twice a year. To me he is a good ordinary ruckman who happens to play in a side with many other great players and some other ordinary ruckmen.
He has been good IMO, maybe you read 'good' as more complimentary than what is intended?

I've had him in my best more often than that....maybe I shouldn't have, not sure?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How many of our side have NOT made the top 5 a couple of times a season? I reckon there would be a few of them. That is part of our problem.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How many of our side have NOT made the top 5 a couple of times a season? I reckon there would be a few of them. That is part of our problem.
Well made point Barry.

I remember so many times in 2009, when I struggled to seperate the best into only 5, with such an even contribution across the board.

To me that was the definition of how St Kilda played their footy, a real team ethic with everyone contributing across the baord.

This year I can only really recall one game like that, and it was Rd 13 against Geelong.

Somewhere, perhaps in the Roo injury and return, and displacement of the team structure through these times, the boys lost this cohesion?

Was too much left to a few, especially late in the season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I reckon for over half a season the Pies thought they might have missed the mark with Jolley also.....till he tore us all a new one toward the end of the year. Jolley hasnt had the injuries Gardiner has.

Point is I dont know to many ruckman (top ones included) who are top 5 in bests week in week out. What I do know is what we paid for Gardiner....SFA...I reckon he's been good (certainly better than King but he to was ok considering what we paid).

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
bergholt wrote:
What do you mean bergholt? I don't think there are any guarantees with any surgery, particularly ground-breaking stuff like this. I presume they are trying to regrow cartilage in his knee from his own cells. FWIW I have just had radioactive injections in both my knees to stop the progression of arthritis, so I will follow Gardis progress with interest.

What do these radioacive injections do.
Are they some form of immune suppressant.

I am on methotrexate but have been told it is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
It seems to have done a good job though, reducing the severity of my psoriatic arthritis..
It has given me back my mobility even a distant view of my mojo has been sighted.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
sainter35
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
busso mick wrote:
bergholt wrote:
What do you mean bergholt? I don't think there are any guarantees with any surgery, particularly ground-breaking stuff like this.
i was being sarcastic. my opinion, without any medical knowledge, is that it sounds like one of those things that will lead to him playing zero games next year. but the lars surgery sounded similar to me when it was first being used, so maybe it's fine?
One thing we do have is very good medical staff and I don't think the offer of another season would be on the table if they felt he couldn't make a meaningful contribution next season.

Like yourself I don't have any medical knowledge but I'm happy to back the people who do. For all the negativity on here there are some things our club does very well.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think he has done a great job for us, but if there is a doubt due to injuries, then let let him retire gracefully. Lets concentrate on new blood.

busso mick
Club Player

ace wrote:
busso mick wrote:
bergholt wrote:

What do these radioacive injections do.
Are they some form of immune suppressant.

I am on methotrexate but have been told it is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.
It seems to have done a good job though, reducing the severity of my psoriatic arthritis..
It has given me back my mobility even a distant view of my mojo has been sighted.
Hi Ace, I have sent you a PM.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

ace wrote:What do these radioacive injections do.
nerve stimulation and/or tissue growth.
with knees all you really need sometimes is internal stimulation.
sometimes no amount of external massage will help and what you need is to get in there under the skin.

(no Dr Spaceman, I said NO! [I'm being serious, yes serious]) :wink:

knees are very complex systems. problems can be very acute. if you have acutely concentrated pain it can be fixed by getting in there and just giving it a bit of stim then allowing the body's natural healing to take over.

before you know it acute knee pain can disappear providing that you buzz it in the right spot. i had sharp pain in my knee for months and months and i fixed it myself. all i did (dont try this at home) was stimulate it (like an accupuncturist) with a syringe and the sharp, shooting pain disappeared in a couple of days. you can try ordinary sewing needles but they must be clean to avoid infection. the chinese have been doing this sort of stuff for millenia.

it's called nerve stimulation and recovery.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

heard the PIes sports medicine guru on SEN this afternoon has been at a conferance where he reported on
-Vibration boards- not a good idea and actually reduced the players initial output,
-something about glute stimulation - which apparently helped with some players-
and also mentioned the altitude work- where the main benefit was seen in First quarter output

the other commentator on the radio had sat in on a discussion on the use of steriods in aiding - they hoped - in reducing breaks in legs and hips in older people- was carried out overseas- This also didn't work- the mucles of the elderly were bigger and stronger But the BONES still broke with the same regularity..

but all agreed that Sport and AFL groups were now becoming the leaders in medicines etc as it is no good following what others do - you need to be bettering it.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
ace wrote:What do these radioacive injections do.
nerve stimulation and/or tissue growth.
with knees all you really need sometimes is internal stimulation.
sometimes no amount of external massage will help and what you need is to get in there under the skin.

(no Dr Spaceman, I said NO! [I'm being serious, yes serious]) :wink:

knees are very complex systems. problems can be very acute. if you have acutely concentrated pain it can be fixed by getting in there and just giving it a bit of stim then allowing the body's natural healing to take over.

before you know it acute knee pain can disappear providing that you buzz it in the right spot. i had sharp pain in my knee for months and months and i fixed it myself. all i did (dont try this at home) was stimulate it (like an accupuncturist) with a syringe and the sharp, shooting pain disappeared in a couple of days. you can try ordinary sewing needles but they must be clean to avoid infection. the chinese have been doing this sort of stuff for millenia.

it's called nerve stimulation and recovery.
Lucky for you CS that I’ve forgotten almost all the stuff I never learned during my studies at the Ho Chi Minh City School of Medicine, thus I can’t dispute your analysis.

Anyway, hopefully in about six month’s time we’ll be able to look at Gardiner’s knee, and our new Seaford facility, and say of both…

“You know, it ain’t a bad jointâ€

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

:lol: nice one tex

yeah i just reckon acupuncture is a big thing nowadays.

when the Xray comes back negative and the MRI comes back negative but you still have localised acute pain that massage can't fix often it's just a pinched nerve that internal stimulation can improve.

shmic_s
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:and also mentioned the altitude work- where the main benefit was seen in First quarter output.
This is something that we seemed to lack last season.

I remember around 10 years ago, we would always start well but almost always got run over in the end.
2009 it was the opposite. No matter how bad we started, we always seemed to run over the top of the opposition by the end of the game.

So if we can keep running out games like we have been, and improve our starts in games, look out.