Surely we would look at Hahn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
saintlee wrote:Too old.
Too shithouse
too bald

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Would be good for 35 goals and would take some focus off Roo. The issue would be whether he could maintain the defensive pressure and 'spread'
Is that figure based on anything or like a lot of things said here just mentioned to boost an arguement?
It's based off the fact that over 2008 and 2009 he kicked a total of 72 goals as a permanent forward. This year he was moved around, the Bulldogs clearly had issues with the playing group and he played less games. With a full season in the forward line he could be a handy goalkicker

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Would be good for 35 goals and would take some focus off Roo. The issue would be whether he could maintain the defensive pressure and 'spread'
Is that figure based on anything or like a lot of things said here just mentioned to boost an arguement?
It's based off the fact that over 2008 and 2009 he kicked a total of 72 goals as a permanent forward. This year he was moved around, the Bulldogs clearly had issues with the playing group and he played less games. With a full season in the forward line he could be a handy goalkicker
In 2008 / 2009 Kosi kicked 78 as a permanent forward....what would getting Hahn really be acheiving?

We need some mobility in the forward line, very much so.

sainter35
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
He never had a lot of pace to begin with but he just looked slow this season. Footy is getting faster, he's getting slower, waste of time.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Geez, CLASS, are we paying attention???

Forward line ain't the problem. If our goals per I50 was down I'd understand it.

Kids kids kids. Bring on the kids. Hope for a gem or two.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Geez, CLASS, are we paying attention???

Forward line ain't the problem. If our goals per I50 was down I'd understand it.

Whilst Hahn isnt the answer, kids are even less of an answer unless you mean guys already at the club. No new guy is going to help us win a flag in this current window.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

NOBODY within our reach is going to help us win the flag within our current window.

Yes P66, that is my point. We have the oldest list in the league. May as well draft a few kids and make the most of it.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

There's a new thread entitled "What will it take to get you excited about 2011".

NOT THIS!!!

Duggie
Club Player

Just look, thats all :lol:

A Saint Forever!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Whilst Hahn isnt the answer, kids are even less of an answer unless you mean guys already at the club. No new guy is going to help us win a flag in this current window.
While it's only part of the puzzle, first year players can add a bit of spark and enthusiasm to a team.

Selwood, Rioli and to a lesser extent Blair helped their teams and there are others. It depends if they are ready or not but it hasn't been part of RL's MO so far.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

While it's only part of the puzzle, first year players can add a bit of spark and enthusiasm to a team.

Selwood, Rioli and to a lesser extent Blair helped their teams and there are others. It depends if they are ready or not but it hasn't been part of RL's MO so far.
Agree SaintPav.

Whether or not any of them actually help us on the field in 2011, a group of 8 - 10 young excitable kids can really help lift the spirits at the club.

This may be important considering we have a core group of blokes who have been at the club for a whaile and are coming off three GF disappointments.

Bring on the tackers! :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A pick 24 will not help us next year. That doesnt mean we dont draft youngsters but the only improvement will come from our second third and fourth year players and if we draft some delisted players.

Schillaci
Club Player

You've got to be kidding...hopefully we won't even look.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The only Hahn we should be looking at is a Hahn Ice

Another opportunity awaits!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Other players having an impact in their first year I think - Hurn, Palmer, Rich, Naitanui and Bastinac :shock:
On topic, I would have no interest in Hahn.........

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Other players having an impact in their first year I think - Hurn, Palmer, Rich, Naitanui and Bastinac :shock:
Were any of them close to pick 24?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:NOBODY within our reach is going to help us win the flag within our current window.

Yes P66, that is my point. We have the oldest list in the league. May as well draft a few kids and make the most of it.
Saints slogan for 2011

Saints 2011 - More Kids and More Mids

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
.......first year players can add a bit of spark and enthusiasm to a team.

Other players having an impact in their first year I think - Hurn, Palmer, Rich, Naitanui, Dustin Martin and Bastinac :shock:
Only Hurn at 13 and Bastinac 28 - also Swallow 44, Beams 29, Harry Taylor 17 :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Other players having an impact in their first year I think - Hurn, Palmer, Rich, Naitanui, Dustin Martin and Bastinac :shock:
Only Hurn at 13 and Bastinac 28 - also Swallow 44, Beams 29, Harry Taylor 17 :shock:
And under RL is there any suggestion what so ever that first year players get many chances. I would suggest no one we pick this season would have any impact next year as there has never been any sign in 4 years that they would get a chance. Apart from Hurn and Taylor on that list, because they had bigger bodies, the others would have been stuck at Sandy. I will stick to what I have said previously, unless we pick and older recruit no new player will have any bearing on our performance next season.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we grab Dion Prestia I can see him playing a role in his first year. He has pace and ability.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If we grab Dion Prestia I can see him playing a role in his first year. He has pace and ability.
Without entering into the debate as to who is/isn't a valuable pick for us, as I really have little knowledge about the ability of players not playing in the AFL, I'd like to ask a question about the statement quoted.

If this guy is so obviously capable of playing AFL in his first year, why would he drop down to us at pick 24 in the draft?

Are there 23 better 'obviously good enough to play AFL in their first season' players in the draft that would allow all other Clubs to overlook him?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well I had another look at him.

Still looks the same but! :wink:

Kilda
Club Player

Surely the club has more sense than to consider Hahn. I think this would be a regressive move.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And under RL is there any suggestion what so ever that first year players get many chances. I would suggest no one we pick this season would have any impact next year as there has never been any sign in 4 years that they would get a chance. Apart from Hurn and Taylor on that list, because they had bigger bodies, the others would have been stuck at Sandy. I will stick to what I have said previously, unless we pick and older recruit no new player will have any bearing on our performance next season.

I'm just saying that there are quite a few draft picks who have an impact in their first year - and not all are high draft selections

No, there is not much suggestion of first year players getting many chances under Lyon - don't you think Swallow and Beams would have played senior footy ?

Is it because they are not physically ready for AFL, or does Lyon want recruits to serve an apprenticeship or trial period ?
That's why I always hope they draft bigger bodied players, ready to play, not project players

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
No, there is not much suggestion of first year players getting many chances under Lyon - don't you think Swallow and Beams would have played senior footy ?

Is it because they are not physically ready for AFL, or does Lyon want recruits to serve an apprenticeship or trial period ?
Well a big factor IMO is that we have had a lot of players already ripe to play, combined with us having been heavy traders for players ready to play. looking to play finals now has probably limited the number of games of some of the younger players with talent, but not ready to completely deserving of their place being given gametime.

In 2011 I am seeing signals that the club will give more gametime to the better young players so that they may progress quicker, and in the firsat part of 2011 I am fully expecting to see several younger players in the starting 22 (though like P66 I very much doubt that our pick 24 will be amongst them).. I think Eddy is casualty of this. His body matured more quickly than some of his cohorts and gained him 13, 10 and 10 games in his 4 years (though he started as a rookie).

However on the kids Lyon was interviewed on this.

I cannot remember his exact words...but certainly was mentioned that if a young kid was exceptionally good that he could play early, and if not then an apprenticeship was likely.

We have unfortunately have not had any stellar young players since Lyon has arrived.

If we had of obatined a really good kid the I suspect that he would have played more that some of our other younger players.

A factor at play here is that we have not had an really low picks since Lyon started.

Of the lowest picks:

* 9, 2006 Armitage, 28 games. With 3 in his first and then 13 his first two years were about what one might expect. that he as only totaled 28 games is less than you would want even allowing for injuries.

* 8, 2007 MacEvoy, 31 games and 5 in his first year...for a big fella has probably played about the football you would expect.

* 13, 2008 Lynch. With 1 game in two seasons his number of games is well south of where you would want. However his form in that two years has been patchy and certainly not demanding to enter a team that has been in the GF in each of those two seasons.

Stanley and Steven, both picks in the forties, and both taken as bottom age players are two rays of hope for 2011, and especially Steven who IMO is likely to become a regular..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....