Dean Polo!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I dont mind Dean Polo as a player. He always seemed to do well against us. I could'nd understand why he was not playing regularly under Hartwig.
I think his game against us was the reason he got picked
It was basically his career best, so obviously stuck in Lyons' mind
yeah we got him as a bottom of the barrell pick, but if true that we are salary capped out, then a 24yr old 56 game player will always cost twice as much as a 18yr old kid
We actually were after him about a year or two after he was drafted to the Tigers. They wouldn't entertain the deal back then - but Polo to St.Kilda was on the cards for quite a while.

saint64
Club Player

I don't think we actually meant to draft him. Someone said "Marco", we said "Polo"- and that was it! :D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A mate of mine who is a Tiges fan said he got over 30 possessions in his first game. Said the way he played was reminiscent to Koutoufides.

Perhaps RL can straighten him out and get him to recapture some of the promise he displayed a couple of years back.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:A mate of mine who is a Tiges fan said he got over 30 possessions in his first game. Said the way he played was reminiscent to Koutoufides.

Perhaps RL can straighten him out and get him to recapture some of the promise he displayed a couple of years back.
That's the thing isn't it. I mean he must have some ability.

I don't wan't to pick on Eddy, but guys like him, and we've had a few, are never going to have games where they are B.O.G., or close to it. Sure they can play a role but they never make you sit back and go "wow"!

Whether RL can return Polo to Koutaland of course remains to be seen :?

gurubob101
Club Player

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... _Polo.html

Pick 20 2004
Best year 2009
Last game in 2010 was against Collingwood and he did ok.
Out of favour with Hardwick but then so was Tuck...

An experienced inside mid at Pick 103... and lord knows we need some depth in the middle of the park... not a bad pick up IMO.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... _Polo.html

Pick 20 2004
Best year 2009
Last game in 2010 was against Collingwood and he did ok.
Out of favour with Hardwick but then so was Tuck...

An experienced inside mid at Pick 103... and lord knows we need some depth in the middle of the park... not a bad pick up IMO.
What does that say about Hardwick?

Tuck was just about out the door and now he's one of their prime movers

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well he was a naughty boy, perhaps the happenings this year woke him up a bit...seemed to have convinced Ross he wants another chance.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well he was a naughty boy, perhaps the happenings this year woke him up a bit...seemed to have convinced Ross he wants another chance.
what did he get up to?

Another opportunity awaits!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
SainterK wrote:Well he was a naughty boy, perhaps the happenings this year woke him up a bit...seemed to have convinced Ross he wants another chance.
what did he get up to?
Well he was involved in that "boozy night" in Sydney early in the year, along with Cousins, Connors & McGuane, but there may be more.
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Sun 21 Nov 2010 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IIRC

weren't we close to trading for him 3-4 years ago in exchange for Troy Schwarze?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Nick will take him along to the polo over the Summer :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Moccha wrote:
what did he get up to?
Well he was involved in that "boozy night" in Sydney early in the year, along with Cousins, Connors & McGuane, but there may be more.
No that is what I was referring to Doc, got suspended for a week, but seemed to fall out of favour.

lewdogs
Club Player

Interested to see that Polo has adveraged 16 possessions a game in his career. I mean, Lyon would happy with that at St Kilda as long as its efficient. I think we're looking for ball-winners, which is what we need (as opposed to the likes of Eddy, McQualter, who genearlly average 9 or so possessions). Hopefully Polo can improve his efficiency and become a solid contributor to our first team.

I think this is why Eddy was de-listed - he can't win the ball, and a player like that is useless in todays game.

All part of becoming a better (and more attacking) side all over the park.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:(as opposed to the likes of Eddy, McQualter, who genearlly average 9 or so possessions)
nah. mcqualter's averaged 14 and 13 the last two years. eddy's averaged 11 for his entire career. i agree that neither get it enough, but they're not as bad as you make out.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
lewdogs wrote:(as opposed to the likes of Eddy, McQualter, who genearlly average 9 or so possessions)
nah. mcqualter's averaged 14 and 13 the last two years. eddy's averaged 11 for his entire career. i agree that neither get it enough, but they're not as bad as you make out.
It amazes me that here we are in the age of google and people can't be bothered to get their numbers right.

The idea of being happy with 16 from a "ball-winner" has me stumped too. In the forward line at least there's the excuse of "feast or famine", where you need the game to be coming to you. If you're on the ball in the middle, 16 touches a game and a single tackle is lacklustre to say the least.

Cheap acquisition and all... but I'd see Polo as having quite a bit to do to be more than a depth option behind guys who aren't in the 22.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Furphy
Club Player

Reminds me of a certain Irish guy we got from Brisbane a while ago, the outcome will probably be the same. But hey, nothing ventured...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bergholt wrote:
It amazes me that here we are in the age of google and people can't be bothered to get their numbers right.

The idea of being happy with 16 from a "ball-winner" has me stumped too. In the forward line at least there's the excuse of "feast or famine", where you need the game to be coming to you. If you're on the ball in the middle, 16 touches a game and a single tackle is lacklustre to say the least.

Cheap acquisition and all... but I'd see Polo as having quite a bit to do to be more than a depth option behind guys who aren't in the 22.
you need guys who average in the 20's ...not teens....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint4Eva
Club Player

IMO he will have more impact than Eddy so why not pick him if he come cheap?

avid
Club Player

skeptic wrote:IIRC

weren't we close to trading for him 3-4 years ago in exchange for Troy Schwarze?
I think I remember in a phantom draft (ie in 2004?) that St Kilda was expressing an interest in drafting him.
(With that, I think I was half bonding with him!
So I'm sort of 1/4 interested now!)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:I don't think we actually meant to draft him. Someone said "Marco", we said "Polo"- and that was it! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

genuine funny

no idea about this dude.
just know he has a cool name and we got him for nothing.

in the big picture - across the afl - over many years - its funny how some guys have say one good game in twenty and gets dumped by his club the team that was the one often recruit them. just human nature for sure - but not that professional. im just talking in general by the way.

either way i dont mind guys like this with late pics. just use ur early pics on kids please!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint4Eva wrote:IMO he will have more impact than Eddy so why not pick him if he come cheap?

+ 1. yep. thats a straight fact.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
bergholt wrote:

you need guys who average in the 20's ...not teens....
i dont want to go back to slating players but in 2010 we continually played dudes averaging in the 0's. somehow we justified it as a "role playing". but outside an s & m club i dont go in for role playing.

we nearly won the whole thing despite these guys not because of them.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

TwoTowers wrote:Always had time for Polo. Was a highly rated youngster. Ross can shape him.
Shape him into what?

I haven't seen him change any reject that he's recruited. Every reject has arrived with flaws, and those flaws still exist as bad as ever. Even players on the list when Lyon arrived, haven't had their flaws fixed or shaped.

What makes you think 'Ross can shape him'?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:Always had time for Polo. Was a highly rated youngster. Ross can shape him.
Shape him into what?

I haven't seen him change any reject that he's recruited. Every reject has arrived with flaws, and those flaws still exist as bad as ever. Even players on the list when Lyon arrived, haven't had their flaws fixed or shaped.

What makes you think 'Ross can shape him'?
Every player has flaws RF. Maybe RL can instill a work ethic that is missing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: Every player has flaws RF. Maybe RL can instill a work ethic that is missing.
Sure, the question was in relation to the statement that 'Ross can shape him'.

I haven't seen him shape anyone - particularly his rejects. So I was just curious as to why the poster thought he could do it with Polo.