Saints march into black with $1.7 million profit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

That all sounds great, now all we need as a flag

I love this club
bigred
Saintsational Legend

"One premiership in 137 years needs to be rectified and it drives us daily."
That should read, "One premiership in 137 yeas needs to be rectified and it drives us crazy"

Great result for the club.

Great result.

Need to build on it now and the only way to do that is to win a damn flag.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
"One premiership in 137 years needs to be rectified and it drives us daily."
That should read, "One premiership in 137 yeas needs to be rectified and it drives us crazy"

Great result for the club.

Great result.

Need to build on it now and the only way to do that is to win a damn flag.

It is a great result, it seems the days of debt are long gone, I can remember in the eighties there was constant talk about our future and financial viability

I love this club
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Many an AGM I sat there waiting for the gloomy figure of the year's losses as the club tried to dig itself out of debt.

What a great response to the year, but yes now we want that flag!!!!!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

We must keep those member numbers up to follow on with this. Need 40K absolute bare minimum again for 2011.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Well done Saints

although wouldbn't it be nice if the edit for the link were the correct :wink:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... with-[b]17[/b]-million-profit/story-e6frf9jf-1225972649562
ah what happens when a full stop disappears.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

what's the point of a $1.7m profit?

footy clubs aren't supposed to make a profit. what's the point in the saints having money in the bank? it's like governments having money in the bank - it's not actually a benefit to anyone at that point.

that's $1.7m the saints should have spent on improving the club itself, whether it's spending more on training facilities, or scouting, or the footy department itself, or on marketing to get more members in the future, or on admin staff to make the club more capable. or even returned to the members as a show of thanks for their loyalty.

yes, a single big profit is a good sign. but if they keep running profits then that's a wasted opportunity.

karnak
Club Player

It's all about Cash Flow,

You don't know what sort of cost blowouts we'll have over the next 5 years. Salary cap increases, Player bargaining agreements. What about when we slip down the ladder in a few years and have a lower membership base.

I agree that you don't want to be wasting cash, but very important to be prudent and keep the cost base as low as possible whilst still competing well.

Hopefully down the track we could then be in a position to begin bringing in some passive income.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
ace
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:what's the point of a $1.7m profit?

footy clubs aren't supposed to make a profit. what's the point in the saints having money in the bank? it's like governments having money in the bank - it's not actually a benefit to anyone at that point.

that's $1.7m the saints should have spent on improving the club itself, whether it's spending more on training facilities, or scouting, or the footy department itself, or on marketing to get more members in the future, or on admin staff to make the club more capable. or even returned to the members as a show of thanks for their loyalty.

yes, a single big profit is a good sign. but if they keep running profits then that's a wasted opportunity.
Profits are not like salaries, they go up AND down.
Profits are high when you are succesful.
Profits are low when you are unsuccessful.
We need to be making profits now so that the loses, that must surely follow the closing of the window, are manageable.

We don't want to give Demetriou the opportunity to relocate us to Beijing in return for financial assistance.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:That all sounds great, now all we need as a flag
Agree. A big profit is great but I'd prefer a million
Dollar loss in 2010 with a flag as the consolation
prize.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Its about banking the money for the inevitable decline.

with 10 million in the bank when the hard times come and they do, look at carlton and essendon for much of this decade, you have your winter fat to protect you while you build up.

Despite not having a premiership we've been in finals in 04, 05, 06, 08, 09 and 10, including prelims in 04, 05 and 08 and 3 grand finals in 09 and 10. THis has been one of the most successful sustained periods of on field success we've had to rival our 60s early 70s period.

Its about putting in the mechanisms to recover because in 2/3 seasons lenny, reiwoldt, kosi, goddard, dal, monty, fisher etc etc will ALL be on the 30 or older, with lenny hitting 33.

WIth the eyes picked out of the draft the next 2 or 3 seasons, we'll be looking for a rebuild.

The window is still definately open, but by 2015, very few of the players we have now will be there, or if they are they will be the 'old men' of hte league.

THe money we put away now, is for when the sponsors stop turning and the gate goes down.

I'm sure many of you remember sitting out in the wasteland in the middle of winter in 94/95/96 with 5 men and a dog watching us getting drilled week in week out, and under timmid in 2000 at TD when 15,000 would turn up watching us get serielly humiliated...

money now is good. and its good the management are banking it instead of pissing it up against the wall carlton style. I suspect there won't be a bob pratt to turn up with 10 million to bail us. everyone knows carlton lied, cheated and stole, as well as holding out its swag bag for handouts from the AFL.

I don't think they'll be so kind to us.

A premiership is worth a lot, I've never seen a day premiership, so is a st kilda that is viable and succesful for my kids to watch.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
oh when
Club Player

CASH FLOW BETTER THAN PROFIT

A good cash flow is more important than a huge profit.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: CASH FLOW BETTER THAN PROFIT

oh when wrote:A good cash flow is more important than a huge profit.
Normally, the bigger the profit the better the cashflow.

If you are continually making losses then the cashflow will dry up.
Eventually you just run out of available money to use to pay the bills.

In theory, if you don't make a profit then you are relying on your ability to collect all monies to use to pay the bills - it doesn't work too well in the real world (ie in actuality and not theory). Invariably you run out of available cash to use, which is when your suppliers (players included) realize that you have 'problems'.

It would be absolute folly to budget on 'breaking even' as the slightest hiccup in your projections will see you plummet into a loss, and thereby put strain on your cashflow.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Re: CASH FLOW BETTER THAN PROFIT

Mr Magic wrote:
oh when wrote:A good cash flow is more important than a huge profit.
Normally, the bigger the profit the better the cashflow.

If you are continually making losses then the cashflow will dry up.
Eventually you just run out of available money to use to pay the bills.

In theory, if you don't make a profit then you are relying on your ability to collect all monies to use to pay the bills - it doesn't work too well in the real world (ie in actuality and not theory). Invariably you run out of available cash to use, which is when your suppliers (players included) realize that you have 'problems'.

It would be absolute folly to budget on 'breaking even' as the slightest hiccup in your projections will see you plummet into a loss, and thereby put strain on your cashflow.
^^ this

SHUT UP KRIME!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

collingwood paid a record amount for this years premiership.

We need lots of cash to compete with that.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Some very nice numbers for the club, especially the TV viewers, crowds & members.

Ample opportunities for a new major sponsor to become part of.

Maybe Jeld Wen didn't offer enough to be numero uno & had to settle for a coaches sponsorship spot.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

All football clubs are run like businesses. The aim of a good business is to make profit. A poor business will go broke, therefore profits are the by product of being a good business. They go hand in hand. You can figure the rest out.

Another opportunity awaits!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Didnt know Jeldwen were'nt renewing for 2011

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No it's not. Money in the bank as you say has a purpose. It can be invested or put away and used in the tough times.

Hazving a go at the club for making a profit! You can't please everyone.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:All football clubs are run like businesses. The aim of a good business is to make profit. A poor business will go broke, therefore profits are the by product of being a good business. They go hand in hand. You can figure the rest out.
the aim of a growing business isn't to make a profit. a growing business will spend all its free cash on foundations for future growth - and that's the correct course of action. the only reason to make a profit is if it the owners want to take the cash out of the club, but who are the owners of st kilda football club?

once again, it's like a government. if we're paying taxes and the government is ending up with a surplus, that portion of those taxes should be returned, because they couldn't find anything useful to spend them on. if i'm paying membership fees to st kilda, and they can't find anything to spend them on, they should return that portion of the cash to me.

i accept the need to store up cash for future hard times - which is why that wouldn't usually be considered as part of the "profit" figure for a football club. profit is cash that wasn't spent or allocated, and the bottom line is that it's not useful for a football club to have that.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Moccha wrote:All football clubs are run like businesses. The aim of a good business is to make profit. A poor business will go broke, therefore profits are the by product of being a good business. They go hand in hand. You can figure the rest out.
the aim of a growing business isn't to make a profit. a growing business will spend all its free cash on foundations for future growth - and that's the correct course of action. the only reason to make a profit is if it the owners want to take the cash out of the club, but who are the owners of st kilda football club?

once again, it's like a government. if we're paying taxes and the government is ending up with a surplus, that portion of those taxes should be returned, because they couldn't find anything useful to spend them on. if i'm paying membership fees to st kilda, and they can't find anything to spend them on, they should return that portion of the cash to me.

i accept the need to store up cash for future hard times - which is why that wouldn't usually be considered as part of the "profit" figure for a football club. profit is cash that wasn't spent or allocated, and the bottom line is that it's not useful for a football club to have that.
the aim of a business IS to make a profit.

growing the business has a purpose, to make a BIGGER profit.

Premierships usually result in more sponsorship, more membership and a BIGGER profit.

have a look at TOTAL turnover, st kilda is one of the leanest clubs in the competition, because we didn't grow the club decades ago, and now we have learnt from the mistakes of the past and aim to be profitable.

The last thing we need to be is like North, fitzroy or the dogs, waiting for government handouts, afl handouts, sympathy trips.

Been there in the 90s, when we went to the wall, wasn't there when we went to the wall the first time in the 80s.

Older supporters twice in hte last 30 years have seen st kilda come within a bees dick of disintergration...with the blessing of the AFL.

I'd love it, in 20 years time if we were one the biggest, most powerful, arrogant clubs in the competition winning premierships year after year.

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

You're confusing profit with retained earnings.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

look it's a great effort and is what is needed.

If I can make the AGM I would like to hear how much more wll be budgeted for football department costs next year. As has been noted our rivals have plowed ALOT of money into their stff and facilities.

Would also like to know if we aregoing to purchase any non football related assets. This can be very good for a long term cash flow objective but can lose you alot of money if done badly (see collingwoods pubs).

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

A great result, and as stated another premiership would be good, what would be better would be a decade of success with 3 or 4 premierships.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.