Is Goddard one of the huanted?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is Goddard one of the huanted?

Goddard's temperament has let him down in the past and I'm wondering if he's one of the players that Gram was referring to in his post match comments from Friday night. He certainly hasn't been energetic in the first two rounds.

And good on Gram for speaking his mind too. A little more drinking from the truth cup will be needed IMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thought Grams interview was terrible, his call of older guys going through the motions in their last year, was almost as bad as Brent Harvey naming and shaming kids.

Goddard is copping attention, and will continue to cop alot of it now he has been identified as one of the comps best. I'd like to see more of our teammates helping each other out, because we want the ball in the hands of those who use it best.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'd be putting Gram in front of BJ in terms of looking more of the haunted of the two.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If Gram wasn't a lazy sh1t then maybe blokes like Goddard would have less pressure on them to do everything.

When he spoke of blokes going through the motions...well Gram is prime suspect #1

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. IMO, Gram could do with a week in the Magoos to make earn a spot in the firsts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Goddard one of the huanted?

Cairnsman wrote:Goddard's temperament has let him down in the past and I'm wondering if he's one of the players that Gram was referring to in his post match comments from Friday night. He certainly hasn't been energetic in the first two rounds.

And good on Gram for speaking his mind too. A little more drinking from the truth cup will be needed IMO.
Are you making that call from your comfy lounge in Cairns again?

Grammy squibbed it in the last when he ran around the ball. I didn't mind his honesty but I thought it sounded a bit funny coming from him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Goddard one of the huanted?

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Goddard's temperament has let him down in the past and I'm wondering if he's one of the players that Gram was referring to in his post match comments from Friday night. He certainly hasn't been energetic in the first two rounds.

Are you making that call from your comfy lounge in Cairns again?

Grammy squibbed it in the last when he ran around the ball. I didn't mind his honesty but I thought it sounded a bit funny coming from him.
Yes I am. But from my postion at the ground on Friday night it looked like Goddard was a little sulky.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Did nobody catch Goddard in the guest spot on Before The Game last night?

He was asked about Gram's comments on SEN and was very quick to distance himself from them. Words to the effect of "he can speak for himself but as far as I am concerned he doesn't speak for the group"... looked very shirty about addressing the subject.

I actually thought the thread was titled "Is Goddard one of the hunted?" which would make more sense, quite frankly.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Did nobody catch Goddard in the guest spot on Before The Game last night?

He was asked about Gram's comments on SEN and was very quick to distance himself from them. Words to the effect of "he can speak for himself but as far as I am concerned he doesn't speak for the group"... looked very shirty about addressing the subject.

I actually thought the thread was titled "Is Goddard one of the hunted?" which would make more sense, quite frankly.
Interesting

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Did nobody catch Goddard in the guest spot on Before The Game last night?

Interesting
Yes. Very interesting. Didn't catch it myself, but would be interested to hear other posters perspective on the i/view (not that I doubt your own view INkersaint)

BJ is clearly out of form. If we're going to sh!tcan Gram and call him a squib, then we should really call it is as it is, and say that BJ has not lived up to pre-season hype at all so far. Even go as far as to say that he is one of the major reasons we are playing poorly. I love BJ but he needs to pull his finger out.

And I thought Gram was one of the key factors in the 1st 1/4 as to why we looked so good. Yes there were a couple of clangers, but there were also some beautiful 60m passes that set up goals. I certainly hope the team isn't turning on itself and playing the blame game.

And yes, whilst I did find Gram's comments interesting, thought they were unnecessary. Leave those comments for the coach or the captain I reckon.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

In or out of form, hunted or haunted BJ gives 100% at every contest. Can't say the same for Gram unfortunately.
Saw Gilbert and Dawson put in some very very weak efforts at the man/ball too and they are hardly playing out their last year.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
defacto
Club Player

the more i think of grams comments. the more i think we should play him next week.

if he wants to make those comments, then back it up with good form. if you cant back it up with form then double the punishment.

so next week:
out: archer, hayes, baker/dempster
in: kozi, steven, scheinder

if gram doesnt have a blinder then he's dropped for two weeks. in comes the best performing midfielder from the seconds.

time has come to upgrade walsh from the rookie list. to put pressure on the back 6.

players under the spotlight:
- dempster: poor disposal and decision making. playing down back, too many backman in the side
- baker: slow. ageing player taking the place of a younger players development. playing down back, too many backman in the side
- blake: see baker
- peake: goes missing for too long especially when the game gets tough
- gram: effort isnt there. as with peake goes missing for too long especially when the game gets tough. unless the ball hits him on the chest he wont go and get it
- gilbert: really worrying. just doesnt look interested

players who are starting to come under the spotlight:
- clarke: had a bad game with bad disposal and bad decision making
- gamble: just isnt providing fwd 50 defencive pressure. isnt helping roo. seagulls too often
- jones: has he been on the field the past two weeks?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Interesting
Yes. Very interesting. Didn't catch it myself, but would be interested to hear other posters perspective on the i/view (not that I doubt your own view INkersaint)

BJ is clearly out of form. If we're going to sh!tcan Gram and call him a squib, then we should really call it is as it is, and say that BJ has not lived up to pre-season hype at all so far. Even go as far as to say that he is one of the major reasons we are playing poorly. I love BJ but he needs to pull his finger out.

And I thought Gram was one of the key factors in the 1st 1/4 as to why we looked so good. Yes there were a couple of clangers, but there were also some beautiful 60m passes that set up goals. I certainly hope the team isn't turning on itself and playing the blame game.

And yes, whilst I did find Gram's comments interesting, thought they were unnecessary. Leave those comments for the coach or the captain I reckon.
Yep he distanced himself, very much so.

I am not sure BJ is out of form, I watched the replay last night, he had one of those nights were nothing quite worked out. Ended up flat on his backside I don't know how many times, he is going to get heaps more attention this year.

Gram spoke about what was going on his own head IMO.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

within the audio/ video from the media post game
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=68387

there are clips of grammy's comment and BJ's response

Video
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=68562

and Grammy's response
gramsy_1 Jason Gram
Don't u hate it when u say something and it comes out the wrong way

I re heard part of grammy's comments on radio and he said 'possibly' the last year

and in reality there are 3/4 players who may well decide to go at tned of year.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 03 Apr 2011 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

S,hit you blokes, dont shoot the messenger.

Gram was echoing what had been said after the game by RL.

His interview was raw and FULL of emotion.

And he did not say he was not part of the problem.

Jesus, instead of attacking Gram, i think he has a valid point, and others have a vaild point about Gram.

As as someone else said, yes play him next week. We are down Lenny, and "outside" players like him and Dal Santo have to step up and take the grunt work a bit more.

there are a few people that have forgotten Gram was almost a Norm Smith medallist in 2009 - the guy can play and play well in huge games.

Time for him to step up and have the courage of his words.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Some players may be haunted, Goddard may be one of them.

But eventually these guys are going to pull their heads out and start enjoying footy again.

Beaten into the dust from whence he came, the metal is ready for the makers hand.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As long as they are being given permission to grieve the losses, and the 'bubble' doesn't become some defence mechanism to pretend everything is OK when it's not.

Grieve, but don't mope, should be the message.

I still think nobody should be retiring people in their interviews, I don't really care how emotional they are at the time.

miskycat
Club Player

Just shut up is what I want to say.
We have enough people bagging the Saints without one of our own doing it publicly.
Shut up and get back to training hard and playing with real heart.
Now, that's a statement.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gram was right to speak his mind like he did. I dont have a problem with that.

Thing is that he was talking about himself as much as anyone else.

He did squib it on Friday, no denying it.

We have far too many passengers. Far too many.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Phew!

Thank you for some of the comments in this thread.

I thought it was just me.

It sounds like the bubble is losing oxygen.

spert
Saintsational Legend

There's an old saying "criticize in private, praise in public" . This needs to be put in place by RL or higher at the club. OK for Gram to say the team is a bit flat in public, but shouldn't go any deeper than that. Having said that, quite a few of our senior players need to pull their collective fingers out, Gram is not the worst offender there.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:S,hit you blokes, dont shoot the messenger.

Jesus, instead of attacking Gram, i think he has a valid point, and others have a vaild point about Gram.

As as someone else said, yes play him next week. We are down Lenny, and "outside" players like him and Dal Santo have to step up and take the grunt work a bit more.

there are a few people that have forgotten Gram was almost a Norm Smith medallist in 2009 - the guy can play and play well in huge games.

Some valid points, mate. The problem with Gram is that his last good game was probably the 2009 GF. I know he had the hip injury last year, but right now he really needs to put those words into action.

Don't get me wrong, I really want him to make the critics eat our words.

I said it before and I'll say it again, this Essendon game is going to be a true test of character.

Can we start to exorcise the demons?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I started to think, well, who are the older players?
To try to work out who he might be talking about.
And here they are - 30 or over:

Baker
Blake
Gardiner
Hayes
Milne

The people who are 29 are:

Fisher
Kosi
Riewoldt

If 28 is old, then they are here:
Montagna
Peake

-----------

That's it... I don't think anyone would say that 27 is old.

So, anyone want to speculate... or do you not believe Gram's comments are accurate?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:S,hit you blokes, dont shoot the messenger.

I'm with you.

I'm wrapt to hear someone getting a bit grumpy and putting it out there!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:(

Goddard, 25, was given three days off in a bid to recharge his desires for the game after three successive poor outings by his lofty personal standards to start his 2011 campaign.

Goddard is regarded as one of the finest players in the uncompromising AFL competition, with some experts even rating the brilliant Saint as a legitimate rival to superstars Chris Judd, Luke Hodge and Gary Ablett as the best midfielder in the game.

Goddard has played 165 games with his beloved Saints, but is said to be one of the most psychologically wounded Saints from last year’s demoralising drawn grand final with Collingwood and then a nine-goal thumping in the replay.