Home Game-Home Strip-AFL Policy !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Home Game-Home Strip-AFL Policy !!

I have done some research on this very emotive issue and part of this research was to ask the club and the AFL what, if any policy was in place to cover this issue;

From Adrian Anderson-AFL;

The standard policy is that the home team wears it's home uniform unless there is some arrangement to the contrary

From Michael Nettlefold-St Kilda FC;

St Kilda wore it's clash strip in it's home game v Essendon in 2010 because the traditional/home St Kilda strip clashed with the Essendon clash strip

For mine, Anderson is not only having a bet each way on this issue, he has hinted that there may be some sort of secret deal that has taken place involving St Kilda, Essendon and the AFL

The Nettlefold statement is in some ways very confusing and in other ways it hints that the Admin of St Kilda is very weak and refuses to stand up to the big boys (Essendon) of the competition

I know there are many on here who, like me have very strong views on this (read any of b4e's posts) and others don't care one way or the other. So, do we let the club know (if there is an overwhelming sentiment to stand up for ourselves)? Or do we just lie down like mangy dogs and allow the likes of Essendon to walk over the top of us? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That last paragraph really makes it an even handed approach.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:That last paragraph really makes it an even handed approach.
Even handed? That's all I want !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Home Game-Home Strip-AFL Policy !!

Eastern wrote:Or do we just lie down like mangy dogs and allow the likes of Essendon to walk over the top of us? !!
Could this be rectified by a 10 goal St Kilda victory, by any chance?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:That last paragraph really makes it an even handed approach.
Even handed? That's all I want !!
I’m certainly not as emotional about this issue as b4e however I just think it’s ludicrous that any team does not wear its home uniform when playing a home match.

IF there is an agreement then tell us about it.

IF the Bombers are paying us for the privilege then at least let our supporters know we’re making a buck and the Bomber supporters that their club is recklessly spending money.

BUT, if no money is changing hands then just wear our home gear and let the AFL and EFC sort out the rest. :evil:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Eastern wrote:Or do we just lie down like mangy dogs and allow the likes of Essendon to walk over the top of us? !!
Yep I think that may be better than what jumper we wear. Look at North this week. I reckon they would swap a win for wearing just jocks next time.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Yep I think that may be better than what jumper we wear. Look at North this week. I reckon they would swap a win for wearing just jocks next time.
Surely it's not about that.
Home game home jumper no exception.
They can wear red shorts.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Let's NOT allow ourselves to get confused over two entirely seperate issues !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
degruch wrote:
Let's NOT allow ourselves to get confused over two entirely seperate issues !!
I can't help myself...it's such a non-issue, it's ridiculous. I would like to think there is money being exchanged though...otherwise, rules are rules.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: I can't help myself...it's such a non-issue, it's ridiculous. I would like to think there is money being exchanged though...otherwise, rules are rules.
That IS the issue though. ALL the rules should apply to all clubs. Why wouldn't they?

Sure, some supporters don't mind if we wear a tutu or evening gown, but why wouldn't all the clubs follow the same rules?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
degruch
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
degruch wrote: I can't help myself...it's such a non-issue, it's ridiculous. I would like to think there is money being exchanged though...otherwise, rules are rules.
That IS the issue though. ALL the rules should apply to all clubs. Why wouldn't they?

Sure, some supporters don't mind if we wear a tutu or evening gown, but why wouldn't all the clubs follow the same rules?
The AFL is anything but consistant. I'm more concerned about what a tackle is, after Gram pinned that Richmond player on the weekend and was not awarded holding the ball. Now THAT's a rule that really matters.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
satchmo wrote:

The AFL is anything but consistant. I'm more concerned about what a tackle is, after Gram pinned that Richmond player on the weekend and was not awarded holding the ball. Now THAT's a rule that really matters.
Richmond have a "not being penalised for holding the ball" policy, and apparently it's written into their constitution (the Bartlett amendment), so there' nothing the umpires can do.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Huzzad
Club Player

Sign the petition No CLash Strip For Home Games and send a message to the AFL and the Saints.

http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/ ... games.html

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
degruch
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
degruch wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Richmond have a "not being penalised for holding the ball" policy, and apparently it's written into their constitution (the Bartlett amendment), so there' nothing the umpires can do.
Ahhhh...I wasn't aware of that, but it all makes sense now. Anyway, each to their own...I do find it annoying, but not to the point of exploding. It's just another example of AFL Haves and Have Nots in action, and validates my belief that the whole game is closer to WWF than most punters think.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
satchmo wrote:
degruch wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Ahhhh...I wasn't aware of that, but it all makes sense now. Anyway, each to their own...I do find it annoying, but not to the point of exploding. It's just another example of AFL Haves and Have Nots in action, and validates my belief that the whole game is closer to WWF than most punters think.
Bingo! :D

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

I personally don’t care what we wear if we can win a premiership, as long as it’s some combination of Red, White & Black.

However this is a separate issue.

The AFL Commission was established to run the competition and to take that responsibility away from the clubs. It is simply a very poor look that in this instance a couple of clubs dictate to the Commission what they will wear.

Of course it’s not a totally level playing field. The draw is an obvious example of that. But at least with the draw the Commission can spin it in relation to maximising crowds, maximising television rights and maximising dividends to the clubs.

How does it spin the refusal to enforce the rules relating to clash jumpers? How do all clubs benefit from this refusal?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Without repeating, I am in complete support of Dr Spaceman's comments.

The point to me is at the end of the day, it's not so much about the jumpers and their colour variations, but more the integrity of the Saints board and its Senior Management, with us THE MEMBERS.

Where is the Club's integrity, and professional standards? Simply tell us, The Members, what the situation is - is there a special arrangement? If so, what is it? Is the Club being paid for its acquiescence/compliance?

If given a choice, I am sure that Saints members would vote for the Home Jumper. The Board is there to "represent" the best interests of Members, so please tell us what the position is. :!: :!: :!:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I noticed that James Heard was wearing a Black and Red Essendon jacket that had a white back. What the hell!!!!!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I noticed that James Heard was wearing a Black and Red Essendon jacket that had a white back. What the hell!!!!!!!
I Hird he likes the Saints.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

The saints should run out in their home jumper for this weekend's home game against Essendon.

Just as they would in a home game against any other team.

Just as like any other team, including Essendon has the right to wear its home jumper against us and any other team in its home games.

Simple principle....no argument for more than one hundred years.

If the saints don't wear their home strip, then a deal is being done or the club is bending over. Simple.

Let Essendon deal effectively with the clash issue. Simple

I want to know the answer to this issue and the reason for the perplexing spin/silence on part of the club/AFL around it.

Every true supporter wants the team to do as well as possible...so let's not dilute the logic of argument surrounding this issue by incorporating it with team performance issues or others.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Sign the petition No CLash Strip For Home Games and send a message to the AFL and the Saints.

Thanks Huzzard for this post. I didn't know this petition existed. Never signed a petition before, but I did in this case. It won't save lives, but The Members need some honesty on this from the Board and Senior Saints management. :!:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:...so let's not dilute the logic of argument surrounding this issue by incorporating it with team performance issues or others.
I know we'd all like Essendon to bend over on this issue, but if they won't, and there's nothing we can do about it, I'd rather not have our players confused for Dons players, resulting in a score to them. Logic would dictate there is a difference between the two teams jumpers, no matter which one it is. Saying "lets run out in our home jumper' is not logical, nor sensible.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:Sign the petition No CLash Strip For Home Games and send a message to the AFL and the Saints.

Who wrote this? If you are going to draft a petition use proper English otherwise you look like a proper idiot.

"Given the rules of the AFL, we, the undersigned, find it negligible towards the proud and long history of the St Kilda Football Club and to its past, present and future members to wear a clash guernsey at a game in which St Kilda is the home team."

negligible? not only does the author mean negligent (which also wouldn't be the right word in this context) but use of the word negligible completely undermines the point of the petition. There are other mistakes in it as well, which undercut the petition's seriousness and noble cause.

Carna Saints!!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
sendmehomehappy wrote:...so let's not dilute the logic of argument surrounding this issue by incorporating it with team performance issues or others.
I know we'd all like Essendon to bend over on this issue, but if they won't, and there's nothing we can do about it, I'd rather not have our players confused for Dons players, resulting in a score to them. Logic would dictate there is a difference between the two teams jumpers, no matter which one it is. Saying "lets run out in our home jumper' is not logical, nor sensible.
:?: why would it more likely result in a score for them?

we should bend over if essendon won't! this is logic?

st kilda - willing to take it up the khyber if you can logically argue they should!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
degruch wrote:
:?: why would it more likely result in a score for them?

we should bend over if essendon won't! this is logic?

st kilda - willing to take it up the khyber if you can logically argue they should!
Alright. How about, maybe the club doesn't give a flying Frenchman? I think the eloquently written petition speaks for itself...the issue upsets some people, mainly the 'kick it long' crowd.