Ok a bit of objectivity- Where to from here?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ok a bit of objectivity- Where to from here?

Seems like we cant win it this year.

After 5 rounds we look very ordinary.

Do we cue it in the rack for 2011 and continue to play smith, cripps, steven, etc and keep injecting the youth, or do we continue the quest for the flag this season?

My view is that we should reload for 2012. Players like Steven and Armo are showing that they are benefitting from an extended run.

We need to persist with Smith and Cripps who did a job tonight, and players like Winmar and Sipposs should get a few games in the seniors to see what they are capable of.

Tommy Walsh need to be elevated and given a run.

This, of course means more games like tonight, a poor loss, but at least we will be building towards 2012.

We had a s.hit preseason after three GF's. We had the terrible nude photo distraction and we lost lenny for the year.

We need to finish up early and reload with a full preseason, Lenny back, and players like Roo and Goddard and a couple of others still in their prime.

Yup - AFAIAC it is time to pull the plug, have a dissapointing 2011 and see if we can regain the hunger next season.

Early to write them off in April but can anyone really see us threatening this season?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

It was either this year or bust. The era is finished, now we need to find our next group.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
fingers
Saintsational Legend

How dare you bring that "objectivity" here.

Disgraceful.

;)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There is a very frightening aspect to the OP !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Richter
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:There is a very frightening aspect to the OP !!
That he is correct?

:(

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok a bit of objectivity

joffaboy wrote:Seems like we cant win it this year.

After 5 rounds we look very ordinary.

Do we cue it in the rack for 2011 and continue to play smith, cripps, steven, etc and keep injecting the youth, or do we continue the quest for the flag this season?

My view is that we should reload for 2012. Players like Steven and Armo are showing that they are benefitting from an extended run.

We need to persist with Smith and Cripps who did a job tonight, and players like Winmar and Sipposs should get a few games in the seniors to see what they are capable of.

Tommy Walsh need to be elevated and given a run.

This, of course means more games like tonight, a poor loss, but at least we will be building towards 2012.

We had a s.hit preseason after three GF's. We had the terrible nude photo distraction and we lost lenny for the year.

We need to finish up early and reload with a full preseason, Lenny back, and players like Roo and Goddard and a couple of others still in their prime.

Yup - AFAIAC it is time to pull the plug, have a dissapointing 2011 and see if we can regain the hunger next season.

Early to write them off in April but can anyone really see us threatening this season?
Don't totally disagree with that however I doubt the coach or players will accept our finals chances are over til they're actually over.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Players like Baker are gone....

I hate to quote Walls...but he only ever goes backwards.

You need your defenders to generate drive...and not to always just concede and go neautral. It just allows the opposition these days to press.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:It was either this year or bust. The era is finished, now we need to find our next group.
Not true.

We will still have Fisher, bj, Roo, Joey, Lenny, still in their prime. I reckon we still have a shot in 2012 if we get the mix right, and recruit a ruckman and some run.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Eastern wrote:There is a very frightening aspect to the OP !!
That he is correct?

:(
Yes, but don't tell him/it :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

If we do nothing else for the rest of the year we must play players who will be part of the future

More importantly we must pick 22 each week who are committed to 100% intenstity and 100% application.

Any player who can't get their minds around doing this should play at Sandy for the rest of the year and then be traded / delisted

I can put up withing watching us get beaten by more skillful sides but I become a step closer to my wife having me committed in a mental institution watching this level of intenstity and application but moreso the ever apparent struggle to move on from the last few years near misses..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JB you are spot on.

It's bleeding obvious now.

And Spacey - if a Miracle happens and we make the eight it won't be top 4 and most likely an early exit.

It ain't worth it.

Our preseason for 2012 begins now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints43
Club Player

Re: Ok a bit of objectivity

Dr Spaceman wrote:Don't totally disagree with that however I doubt the coach or players will accept our finals chances are over til they're actually over.
RL shouldn't put the cue in the rack til we can't make the 8. We have enough premiership age players to be a chance from anywhere. Obviously the top level players would need to be performing significantly better.

I wouldn't mind if he started putting a line through players who cannot improve on tonights performance. And work through the younger pool of players until we get acceptable performances.

Jones. McQualter. Dempster. For starters. These blokes have no significant attribute such as height, pace or footskill that makes them difficult to replace.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

There is always a bit of conjecture about the first coach to be given the flick during any given year.
Maybe Ross will be the first.
The start to 2011 is TOTALLY unacceptable.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote:There is always a bit of conjecture about the first coach to be given the flick during any given year.
And neither is Kim Duthie.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote:There is always a bit of conjecture about the first coach to be given the flick during any given year.
Here we go.

So typically loser mentality of St.Kilda. Lyon got us closer than anytime since 1966 and we have the halfwits speculating on his future :roll:

You cabbage.

Lance or James??

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
clarky449 wrote:It was either this year or bust. The era is finished, now we need to find our next group.
Not true.

We will still have Fisher, bj, Roo, Joey, Lenny, still in their prime. I reckon we still have a shot in 2012 if we get the mix right, and recruit a ruckman and some run.
Well i hope you are right.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree JB, give it one more big shot next season, see if any of these kids are worth perservering with.
Get rid of the guys who can't kick such as Jones, Dawson ( which is sad because I thought he was really going somewhere but has gone backwards) Dempster Mcqualter.
I would keep Gilbert because he still can offer something once his head is over KD.
We need to be smart with Free Agency and get a decent ruckman as well as more midfielders.
I am looking forward to how Ledger goes tomorrow because I was very impressed with what I saw in the NAB Cup.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok a bit of objectivity- Where to from here?

joffaboy wrote:Early to write them off in April but can anyone really see us threatening this season?
I'll wait one more hour - then Ill write them off in May :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Need to take a step back to go forward.

Blood the new blokes and Tommy Walsh. Get rid of the deadwood and give 2012 a red hot go.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintDippa
Club Player

One problem is only 10 games under the dome in 2011. 12 outside in the wind, rain and dew (cue missed target).

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Still too early to write off the season.

We are battling but we have only been thumped once. We are still a competitive unit, and if we are in finals contention we need to keep fighting. 1-3-1 is better than where we were 5 rounds in to 97. I don't think it will change, but wholesale change is not yet worth it given re-building is a huge process.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

it's so difficult to let go, we have had a great run and been ever so close..i think the coaching staff and the playing group acknowledge this also and are treading water while we work out where too next.

I admittedly haven't seen a lot of the new blokes play reserve football, but the ones who have had chances so far have struggle to impress. Throwing them in the deep end for old, over hill or just plain ordinary players can't hurt.

We must cull the likes of Dawson, mini, Bakes (i do love him but..) in order to move forward.

we won't win a flag with them so we may as well work tirelessly with youth and hope we unearth a few gems

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok a bit of objectivity- Where to from here?

joffaboy wrote:Early to write them off in April but can anyone really see us threatening this season?
Well, we won last week, we threatened tonight. All depends how the team takes tonight's loss and recovery from two hard weeks on the road. The ability is there, but I'm not sure how things are functioning upstairs.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote:One problem is only 10 games under the dome in 2011. 12 outside in the wind, rain and dew (cue missed target).
Don't worry. We are more than capable of missing targets inside the dome!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am going to add Baker to the cant kick list. He looks to kick it sideways or backwards all the time, it is embarrassing. I am afraid his day is well and truly gone.