HGH/EPO Testing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

HGH/EPO Testing

Footy show confirms tonight that 20 - 30 players are being target tested for HGH or EPO use.

More than one club involved; none specified.

The rumours from Sept last year may have some credence.
Last edited by Fidelis on Thu 12 May 2011 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faithful Even Unto Death
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: HGH/EPO Testing

Fidelis wrote:Footy show confirms tonight that 20 - 30 players are being target tested for HGH or EPO use.

More than one club involved; none specified.

The rumours from Sept last year may have some creedence.

Go Pies!

SaintSimmo
Club Player

BJ said he was tested 2 in three days before round 1 :shock: also said he wasnt too happy about it

Sainter for life.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:BJ said he was tested 2 in three days before round 1 :shock: also said he wasnt too happy about it
was he quoted on the footy show saying that?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:BJ said he was tested 2 in three days before round 1 :shock: also said he wasnt too happy about it
was he quoted on the footy show saying that?
Yep.

Turned up 6am twice, the week before round one.

Adrian Anderson was quoted saying it's common to test players who have excelled, won brownlows, awards, or on the back of big performances....so the fact that he was tested is not unusual following his finals series.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well bj needs to tap back into it!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

he was unhappy at the time being woken at 6 am- and apologised to them tonight for his demeanour.

Blood and urine testing at the time

also said given his current form he would not be worth targeting ;;;

I remember hearing I think it was Steve Monaghetti and Craig Mottram both describe how long it can take to ' produce.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Confirmed- Collingwood cheats

Hand back our premiership,and refund the cost of my replay GF ticket...immediatly!

Bring back the Lockett era
Fidelis
Club Player

AFL targets stars for performance-enhancing drugs testing

HeraldSun picks it up.

Original implication by Footy Show that the AFL were honing in on a new drug scam (my interpretation) seems to have been toned down to news of a new testing regime which is not random but targetted at players whose performance makes them stand out.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6055016594

Faithful Even Unto Death
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Confirmed- Collingwood cheats

Hand back our premiership,and refund the cost of my replay GF ticket...immediatly!
Confirmed. People who believe crap rumours are barking up the wrong tree. We lost the GF through bad luck and not being good enough but hey lets look to other silly reasons.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Confirmed. People who believe crap rumours are barking up the wrong tree. We lost the GF through bad luck and not being good enough but hey lets look to other silly reasons.
Just curious, would we have claims if the say a dozen pies players were found to be using it?

Anyway good on the AFL, about time, As the game has become more and more atheltic they have needed to look at EPO

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Just curious, would we have claims if the say a dozen pies players were found to be using it?

Anyway good on the AFL, about time, As the game has become more and more atheltic they have needed to look at EPO
But who says they are using? We could be or more likely no one from either side but i agree, good to test for.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think this "New" testing would be a bit of hit n miss as the "juice" leaves the system very quickly (6-8 hours). It is probably more proof that the "chemists" are still a step or two ahead of the testers !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

miskycat
Club Player

Yeah, Harry O'Brien suddenly became huge.

Good that they are keeping samples to test later, as the tests improve.

I just feel that even if the AFL did discover some widespread usage in certain clubs, they would be reluctant to reveal it for fear of damaging the 'brand.'

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I have it on good authority that many Collingwood players have very high levels of EPO in their systems.

Eddie Penile Orgasmos that is :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:Yeah, Harry O'Brien suddenly became huge.

Good that they are keeping samples to test later, as the tests improve.

I just feel that even if the AFL did discover some widespread usage in certain clubs, they would be reluctant to reveal it for fear of damaging the 'brand.'
Absolutely totally agree. I think a few of their boys look larger. Swan, Pendlebury, O'Brien. That said it is more likely as a result of more gym less running on account of late finish to season 2010.

But at the end of the day, if an allegation went boom, 70,000 paid up Pies is a lot of brand worshippers to disappoint in one hit.

Not that I'm jumping to unfounded conclusions or anything.

Just pointing out that 'brandism' creates interesting conundrums.

Reality is the game - in fact all sport - lives on through scandal because first and foremost it's a game, not a business.

Baseball, League, Soccer over and over...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

That "Damo" guy made it sound like target testing due to abnormal changes in a players profile.

AFL said it was targetted towards people after awards, medals, a run of excellent form.

Non story IMO.

What nobody said, is that I'm led to believe some people produce higher red blood cell levels naturally?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

They cheated,end of story

Drugs,remote control in the ball,umpires

Evil is only conquered in Hollywood

Bring back the Lockett era
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: AFL said it was targetted towards people after awards, medals, a run of excellent form.
That's just ludicrous.

What about a FB or pretty much any backman! They never win awards or medals.
Forwards much the same.

That would be the most terribly inept testing criteria ever!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote: AFL said it was targetted towards people after awards, medals, a run of excellent form.
That's just ludicrous.

Forwards much the same.

They believe the players most likely to use and benefit from HGH is midfielders.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not a running backman?

unreal
nothing will come of it imo

Sainterman
Club Player

I think we need to remember that this is not something the AFL could cover up even if they wanted to. ASADA are a separate body and the AFL would have no way of stopping a positive test from getting out.

I think it is interesting that as ASADA have now come out and said they have target tested 30 AFL Players, the AFL themselves are forced to come out and say that this is in fact the case. When asked easrlier in the year the AFL said there was no credence to the story and the media should move on.

Sounded to me a little like the AFL coming out early so that if a larger story were to break they would be able to say "Yep, we mentioned this issue back in May".

To me it sounded like two or three teams featured more prominently in the testing, which ones is anyone's guess...I know we all like to point the finger at Collingwood, and they were the centre of these rumours late last year and earlier this year. Who knows if there is any truth to it or not.

I for one would be most upset if this was proven to be true (which is certainly not the case atm) and we lost a GF and premiership after drawing with a side that used HGH. Anyway, all guesswork atm. Where there is smoke...

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:I think we need to remember that this is not something the AFL could cover up even if they wanted to. ASADA are a separate body and the AFL would have no way of stopping a positive test from getting out.

I think it is interesting that as ASADA have now come out and said they have target tested 30 AFL Players, the AFL themselves are forced to come out and say that this is in fact the case. When asked easrlier in the year the AFL said there was no credence to the story and the media should move on.

Sounded to me a little like the AFL coming out early so that if a larger story were to break they would be able to say "Yep, we mentioned this issue back in May".

To me it sounded like two or three teams featured more prominently in the testing, which ones is anyone's guess...I know we all like to point the finger at Collingwood, and they were the centre of these rumours late last year and earlier this year. Who knows if there is any truth to it or not.

I for one would be most upset if this was proven to be true (which is certainly not the case atm) and we lost a GF and premiership after drawing with a side that used HGH. Anyway, all guesswork atm. Where there is smoke...
I'd say the ASADA have found levels that are suspicious but not illegal i.e. they smell something but can't prove it.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
That's just ludicrous.

Forwards much the same.

They believe the players most likely to use and benefit from HGH is midfielders.
More like they don't really want to catch anyone!

StevieSaint
Club Player

Swan and Pendlebury big???

Dane Swan without his top on looks like he's never been in the gym. Average build. Pendles is a lil skinny b i t c h too.

GO SAINTS GO