rooey on the wing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

rooey on the wing

gives a whole new look, feel and dynamic to our team.

Leave him there ross the boss...it is doing wonders.

even tho rooey had a quiet day for his standards yesterday i think a rooey on the wing is a whole lot better than a rooey in the goal square. has opened up our midfielders goal shooting as well!

go saints i can feel something building. I reckon the tweaking has made us more of a threat than perhaps even 2010?? I know we have had an appalling start but with the blooding of kids and the lesser reliance on roo to kick goals I reckon we are a lot more potent in our scoring. One win does not make a season but a good showing and 2 out of the next 3 matches and we are on. 3/3 and the lid will be looking to come off!

if only we had lenny...

#1 Ryder fan
spert
Saintsational Legend

Better player up the ground, and has had an ordinary year at CHF by his standards. Play him on the HFF, and run a decoy CHF.

JohnMac

Roo up the ground provides the link when going forward and he runs his man into the ground; works far better than being parked at FF and manned up by 2-3 defenders.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JohnMac wrote:being parked at FF and manned up by 2-3 defenders.
yep, don't want to see that again

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not a fluke that our mids had more shots either.

battye
Saintsational Legend

As I think plugger66 mentioned in another thread, we want to play Riewoldt where he will be best at the time and there will no doubt be times where having him up forward will be more beneficial. It's not every week that Montagna, Jones and Peake will kick 7.1 between them!

I agree that having him up the ground didn't make us so one-dimensional going into attack, and his work rate around the ground is very good (a lot of pressure from chasing and tackling and he has been a useful link man at half back on occasions too). So I'm all for keeping up the ground if it means we play like we did against Fremantle, but if I'm RL I would have no hesitation in moving him back to CHF if the situation warrants it.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
asiu
Saintsational Legend

#12 to the wing

well eff me.

doh.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Roo can run all day. He is the perfect link between forward and back given he's so strong above his head and opponents worry constantly about him. If he drifted across the middle of the ground all day he would just about dictate the way the game is being played, which then opens up other avenues to bring the ball through transit.

Personally, when the guy gets over 30, I expect him to drop 5 kilos and play this position permanently. Why don't you go ask Rooey where he'd ideally like to play.

Matthew Richardson and Rooey are extremely similar players, Richo played one season as a wingman and almost won the Brownlow. Lost by a vote if I recall.

If we had more cattle up forward Roo would float around the middle of the ground and chew up and spit out opponents all day long.

If he's to play as a forward now, I don't like seeing him lead up to the ball anymore... It's slow ball movement and everyone knows what St.Kilda are trying to do. I'd like to see the mids run the ball through a line or two like they did on the weekend with Rooey leading towards goal more often than him leading up to the ball... pagans paddock style. Kick it over his head to the space. He'd be just about unstoppable and it's harder to get 3 defenders to the contest like most do now if you move the ball like that.

As I said in my other comment it just shows what a gun the guy is that he can play just about any position on the ground....

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Collingwood's halfback line work extremely well together. Using Rooey around the centre frees him up and will enable him to kick deep into our forward 50.

As others have said, his marking will cause some serious problems around the centre. :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Collingwood's halfback line work extremely well together. Using Rooey around the centre frees him up and will enable him to kick deep into our forward 50.

As others have said, his marking will cause some serious problems around the centre. :lol:
Like his 3 did last game and his 7 kicks some of which may have gone into the forward line.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Correct Plugger, he is just learning the position. :!: