Is the footy too loud.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Is the footy too loud.....

Interesting opinion piece in the age over the weekend suggesting that the football is losing it's natural atmosphere because of the loud ads, voice over announcements and music.

So I open this up to people. Is the scoreboard too loud, do they show the right information. What would be better. Should there be entertainment pieces before or during the game?

What could the club do to make the match day experience better? More club colours, old players etc.
Last edited by Solar on Tue 31 May 2011 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Lenny
Club Player

THe fans could make some more noise, thats what I would like to hear.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Get that idiot bloke who keeps the polo shirt of each club in his wardrobe off the big-screen. Stop the music and contrived sound, I want to enjoy the build up with the warning sirens and a natural lead in with the crowd's noise to every quarter.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saints43
Club Player

Definitely. I own an ipod. If I want to listen to shite music I'll download it myself.
Before the melbourne match I was teying to listen to SEN on my phone but couldn't hear it - with in-ear headphones - over the SEN preview on the scoreboard.
Surely people can fill the void when players aren't on the field by having conversations etc. Do we need to be 'entertained' every f'n moment of our lives?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I have noticed that when they're playing Foo Fighters/Coldplay/Dropkick Murphys right until a few seconds before the first bounce, there's no noise from the crowd or buildup of tension for the start of the game. the crowd used to go wild as the players all took their positions and had a big of push and shove, but that just isn't there anymore.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Get that idiot bloke who keeps the polo shirt of each club in his wardrobe off the big-screen.
That would be James Sherry. He must be contracted by the AFL. I got more than a little pyssed off with him at our home game v Essendon where he interviewed Daniel Harford, and all they discussed was the Hird/Thompson coaching team. Lets hope the club has done/is doing something to ensure a St Kilda theme/feel at our HOME games in future !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the crowd could chant 'DEFENCE" throughout the game.

Serioulsy though I used to love a sunny day at Moorabbin. Get to the ground at half time of the ressies and you could listen to the trannie and chat to regulars around you (they are referred to as SS posters these days). Then the noise when the teams run out was a great build up. The warm up and just before the bounce in the outer was great.

Unfortunately the marketeers have stolen the game. It's what makes the world go round I suppose.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Cairnsman wrote:I used to love a sunny day at Moorabbin. Get to the ground at half time of the ressies and you could listen to the trannie and chat to regulars around you (they are referred to as SS posters these days). Then the noise when the teams run out was a great build up. The warm up and just before the bounce in the outer was great.
Fond memories :)

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As cairnsman said, the Marketeers have stolen the game.

The noise/music is incessant and far too loud, right up to the bounce.
I thought that I was the only one pissed off with it, but it seems not.

Somehow, the collective feelings of the crowd need to be made known to the AFL and/or Ground Management. - not sure how though?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

corporate money says > NO

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

this is precisely why I take the VFL any day of the week.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Get that idiot bloke who keeps the polo shirt of each club in his wardrobe off the big-screen.
That would be James Sherry. He must be contracted by the AFL. I got more than a little pyssed off with him at our home game v Essendon where he interviewed Daniel Harford, and all they discussed was the Hird/Thompson coaching team. Lets hope the club has done/is doing something to ensure a St Kilda theme/feel at our HOME games in future !!
There's also the other bloke, Pete Lazer

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The music at the G is better than at Jihad.

I like the music, adds atmosphere at gets the theatre goes going.

Footy crowds are sanitized and soft now but that's good for families.

Kids like the music also.

But I miss the feral outer of Moorabbin, Vic Park and Princess Park.

I don't miss the sewer of a ground that the Western Oval was though!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

NO, IT'S NOT TOO LOUD

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

its the main reason I hardly ever go and don't take the kids anymore...exhaustingly loud.

Nee!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I went to my first game the other week at AAMI. After the first goal was scored on came this crap loud music. I yelled to my friend, "WTF IS THAT?".

Aweful, just aweful. :x

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
lurker#134
Club Player

To quote TISM

Now it’s advertisements, and pop videos will whine –
We can’t afford the beauty of a silent quarter time! –

From a TV viewers perspective, the crowd needs to be turned up a lot more like it is on the radio.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

spert wrote:NO, IT'S NOT TOO LOUD
SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE OF THE LOUD MUSIC.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont go too the footy, because it is too loud :roll: :roll: They are trying to make it entertaining and not a boring build up to the game. I think it is good and engages the fans.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ridiculously loud. Clarky no-one complains about the crowd being too loud b/c that's what the crowd is there to do - be loud. How is some inane i/view with a halfwit at 1/4 time about how the saints are going getting you fired up? I couldn't care less what some dead beat in the crowd thinks about the game. I don't need my ears blasted by rubbish ads either, with volume turned up about 100 decibels too high.

Americanisation of sport where the organisers of the sport treat us all like dills believing that the actual game itself isn't enough to entertain us.

And saintspremiers - what makes you think kids give a stuff about the music/crapoloa dished up? I not only take two kids every week, but their friends as well on occasions. Have never noticed the kids very interested in the rubbish displayed on the screen or played over the speakers.

markp
Saintsational Legend

No, but it needs more cowbell.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:No, but it needs more cowbell.
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell! :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Maybe the crowd could chant 'DEFENCE" throughout the game.

Serioulsy though I used to love a sunny day at Moorabbin. Get to the ground at half time of the ressies and you could listen to the trannie and chat to regulars around you (they are referred to as SS posters these days). Then the noise when the teams run out was a great build up. The warm up and just before the bounce in the outer was great.

Unfortunately the marketeers have stolen the game. It's what makes the world go round I suppose.
Yep yep and yep...

Being from north of the border to Cairnsman you - like I - appreciate this more than most thanks to the Suns ....

Shite.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If that is all we have to worry aboutthen the game is in pretty good order. Footy is great and I suggest has never been better.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I couldn't agree more... And also I may be looking through rose coloured glasses but I remember more colour and atmosphere in the crowds in the past.... Etihad often seems so sterile... Like I'm in a doctors waiting room or something. It only really goes off these days when something special has happened.

And where are all the home made flags? I really miss different types of home made flags scattered through the crowd instead of every kid having the same generic flag.

I took my massive home made flag to the Grand Final... It was great to wave the old girl around again... when BJ took that speccy and goaled, I was going nuts.