Jack Steven - R10 Rising Star!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh it just gets better..martin Blake from the Age has just tweeted..

Any suggestions for a better Rising Star criteria, folks? Jack Steven is a 4th yr player. Good luck to him, but shouldn't be eligible...

So what if 2 of those 4 years were spent battling chronic injury? The criterias worked ok for the last 15(?) years Martin...then someone comes along you dont think deserves it so you want it changed?

Pffft

:roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:It is fun imagining what kind of person Plugger 66 is, I imagine him as a lonely stamp collecting type, conservative values and a contrary nature. Maybe in his 50s liberal voter with a dull job and limited social skills? I hope I never meet him because when he lets down my idea of what type of person he is I may never be able to feel a smug resentment toward him. What's your opinion of the carbon tax Plugger? Just that I see Tony Abbott and Aker in there, are you a shock jock? Are you Kyle Sandilands?
And I reckon you are just an idiot. Actually I reckon you got one thing right out of all those stupid guesses. I usually vote Liberal. Big deal. I wont guess what you are like. It seems you arent worth it.

By the way brain dead, what brought that on?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:It is fun imagining what kind of person Plugger 66 is, I imagine him as a lonely stamp collecting type, conservative values and a contrary nature. Maybe in his 50s liberal voter with a dull job and limited social skills? I hope I never meet him because when he lets down my idea of what type of person he is I may never be able to feel a smug resentment toward him. What's your opinion of the carbon tax Plugger? Just that I see Tony Abbott and Aker in there, are you a shock jock? Are you Kyle Sandilands?
:wink: :wink: 8-) 8-) 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Oh it just gets better..martin Blake from the Age has just tweeted..

Any suggestions for a better Rising Star criteria, folks? Jack Steven is a 4th yr player. Good luck to him, but shouldn't be eligible...

So what if 2 of those 4 years were spent battling chronic injury? The criterias worked ok for the last 15(?) years Martin...then someone comes along you dont think deserves it so you want it changed?

Pffft

Exatly.

And it's the "Rising Star" not the "Rising Young Kiddie Who's Playing AFL".

Jack IS a rising star, and he's eligible, so MB should just STFU!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saint66au wrote:Oh it just gets better..martin Blake from the Age has just tweeted..

Pffft

Exatly.

And it's the "Rising Star" not the "Rising Young Kiddie Who's Playing AFL".

Jack IS a rising star, and he's eligible, so MB should just STFU!

+1

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The fact you are trying to get people to respond to the fact that Jack Steven being slow and your constant fishing for responses by posting mischievous statements and opinions. Just amusing myself. Are you Kyle Sandilands though?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"Drug-addled StKilda veteran, steals youth award that he shouldn't even be eligible for,
but,
is"?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:You're being ridiculous. You're comparing things that happened years ago to something that happened to Jack just a few months ago.
I dare say they would have mentioned what happened to Didak for a while afterwards, but then again, he had a high profile, so most would have been already aware of it and hence there would have been less need to keep mentioning it.
Jack doesn't have a high profile, though, so it is not unreasonable to remind those who had forgotten (which includes me, I'd forgotten he was one of those), or those who weren't aware that he was one of those suspended. They are a NEWSpaper, remember, not the publicity department of the St K FC.
And it doesn't have to be taken "negatively". You could also take it as a positive, in that someone was in trouble a few months ago but has gotten himself back on track and achieved something significant.
remind me again the time period when an indiscretion becomes irrelevant, I don't have that hand book?
5 months - ok
2 years - being ridiculous
How about Beams/McCarthy - 7 months?
Steve Johnson's indiscretions are still mentioned. Evidence of a guy who pulled his head in and worked hard to become an A grade player.

Take it as Steven being maligned, take it as Steven being the next Johnson, take it as Steven not having the Eddy war machine that "protected" (suspended, and then refused to comment further while commenting continuously) Didak. That's entirely up to you.

Congrats to Steven who put in the work that was entirely up to him.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The fact you are trying to get people to respond to the fact that Jack Steven being slow and your constant fishing for responses by posting mischievous statements and opinions. Just amusing myself. Are you Kyle Sandilands though?
That was a sarcastic post because a few people said it a couple of games ago when he wasnt playing so well. I have always maintained Jack will be a very good footballer and has very good pace. Some of my posts arent serious and people get that but the worst part is yours seem to be. At least you have that old cleaner, Stinger on your side. That must be comforting.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Well all apologies to you for mistaking your sarcasm, you have potted my opinions a few times in the past and I have built up a profile that may be incorrect based on your prolific posting. I don't always disagree with you but you can be bombastic at times Plugger.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: Take it as Steven being maligned, take it as Steven being the next Johnson, take it as Steven not having the Eddy war machine that "protected" (suspended, and then refused to comment further while commenting continuously) Didak. That's entirely up to you.
Please do not mistake hard-working St Kilda rookie Robert EDDY with d**khead Collingfilth president EDDIE McGuire

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

stkildafc St Kilda FC
Media Moment: Rd 10 NAB Rising Star Jack Steven will be on 3AW radio at around 7:20-7:40.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Well all apologies to you for mistaking your sarcasm, you have potted my opinions a few times in the past and I have built up a profile that may be incorrect based on your prolific posting. I don't always disagree with you but you can be bombastic at times Plugger.

nah...i think you were spot on actually...got him down to a tee....

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:Seems very Swanlike to me.

Odd gait, but very effective.

Quite a lot of ball in midfield.

Goes forward and kicks goals.

Good disposal but not fantastic.
Agreed... His pace seems to have improved in the past fortnight as he has learnt more about footy at the top level, and been involved more...

No coincidence there.... Sure, he isn't lightening, but he has enough strings to his bow to make it as a top liner...

Learning when and where to run...

Quick by mind and hand makes up for foot speed issues...

Play him on Swan this week...

Well done on the nomination Stevo... :D
This is where some posts confuse me. His pace has improved in the last fortnight. Do you really think that? As you said he is learning where to run and when. His pace is the same as when he played in the seconds in round one. He has always had good pace as mentioned by RL yesterday. I hope he doesnt have a couple of bad ones in a row. He will be really slow then.
Thats the point Plugger... His pace 'seems to have improved'...

Obviously he has not become faster over 100m in the last 14 days, but by learning when and where to run, he actually looks faster, as he is getting in the right spots...

He will never be a jet, but doesnt need to... Has the other skills, and will develop the smarts, to become a top line player... Needs to learn the urgency required at the top level...

As for having a couple of bad ones, it is to be expected of a young player... But hopefully he'll learn and develop his game through this...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from today's daily rag "the hun"
...young gun..

jack steven...

the 21 year old has done his apprenticeship and is now playing most of the game in a new look saints midfield. ...he racked up a career high 104 points against the dockers ..........

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:Well all apologies to you for mistaking your sarcasm, you have potted my opinions a few times in the past and I have built up a profile that may be incorrect based on your prolific posting. I don't always disagree with you but you can be bombastic at times Plugger.

nah...i think you were spot on actually...got him down to a tee....
Have you got anything original at all to say. You are as much a lawyer as Elvis was an actor.

A day in court. Prosecutor. He was is guilty because he was seen by 5 wittnesses stabbing him. Defendant ( Stinger) I agree because I have no idea what else to say as i have nothing orginal at all unless of course Judge you let me say rolling eyes, ffs, Old cleaner.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

finally some good news flowing in.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:Seems very Swanlike to me.

Odd gait, but very effective.

Quite a lot of ball in midfield.

Goes forward and kicks goals.

Good disposal but not fantastic.
Agreed... His pace seems to have improved in the past fortnight as he has learnt more about footy at the top level, and been involved more...

No coincidence there.... Sure, he isn't lightening, but he has enough strings to his bow to make it as a top liner...

Learning when and where to run...

Quick by mind and hand makes up for foot speed issues...

Play him on Swan this week...

Well done on the nomination Stevo... :D
This is where some posts confuse me. His pace has improved in the last fortnight. Do you really think that? As you said he is learning where to run and when. His pace is the same as when he played in the seconds in round one. He has always had good pace as mentioned by RL yesterday. I hope he doesnt have a couple of bad ones in a row. He will be really slow then.
Thats the point Plugger... His pace 'seems to have improved'...

Obviously he has not become faster over 100m in the last 14 days, but by learning when and where to run, he actually looks faster, as he is getting in the right spots...

He will never be a jet, but doesnt need to... Has the other skills, and will develop the smarts, to become a top line player... Needs to learn the urgency required at the top level...

As for having a couple of bad ones, it is to be expected of a young player... But hopefully he'll learn and develop his game through this...

Pace is overrated. Good footballers are good footballers.

Regardless Steven is quick. Good to see him start backing it over the last few weeks.[/code]

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps he just looks quicker because his decision-making's improved.

Pace doesn't simply arrive. That's a ludicrous proposition.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jack has relaxed as the day has gone on with the interviews
he has always displayed as a very shy young man.

but probably due to 2 things... 1) when its because yuor being given recognition for doing something right,
2) experience makes it easier-

before training he was interviewed by saints.com.au and comments semed stilted
after training on sports tonight-ch ten- more relaxed and expanded responses
on radio in Much delayed interview- quite relaxed and able to respond to questions without too much hesitation on topics which included NZ, Ban, and ' was he told to say"......( Beva possibly helped realx him before he got to air.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
jays
Club Player

Pffft

what a wank

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Good on you Steven, most deserving, his best game for the Saints against the Docker - let's hope the form continues :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:

Pffft

what a wank
Hardly a terrible thought, I mean Jack himself didn't realise he was even eligible. It's an arbitrary award. Why wasn't Podsiadly eligible last year? Because he was 28, but started on 0 league games.

And Blake is a Saints man anyway.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
avid
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
jays wrote:

Pffft

what a wank
Hardly a terrible thought, I mean Jack himself didn't realise he was even eligible. It's an arbitrary award. Why wasn't Podsiadly eligible last year? Because he was 28, but started on 0 league games.

And Blake is a Saints man anyway.
I think the criteria are fine.

But I'm far more offended by Blake's misuse of "criteria" as singular.
(Good try p66, but "criterias" just doesn't correct it!)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1feok.html
Martin obviously got enough feed back to run with a full article

Personally, I would go for the simpler version, and make it a first-year player award. It's just not right as it is.

but many players who are trying to get into a team doing well may not play in their first year- so does their first year become their second year and why shouldn't they still be eligible- ala Jack.
which may be the very reason the guidelines are as they are...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY