"of" is not "have"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:It's only a footy forum, but surely people can at least get the basics of the English language right? I find such basic mistakes really distracting when I'm reading.
Yah, i fully, agree with, that, i reckon it would make, cleaner reading.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Winmar wrote:It's only a footy forum, but surely people can at least get the basics of the English language right? I find such basic mistakes really distracting when I'm reading.
Yah, i fully, agree with, that, i reckon it would make, cleaner reading.
Meh.

I just look at it for the pictures anyway :P

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

how do you spell tits ?

Johnny Favier
Club Player

And while we're at it, could we teach the same people the difference between "then" and "than"?

miskycat
Club Player

And it's 'separate' not 'seperate.'

:o

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Just appreciate the fact that you have had access to a good education - which not everyone does, this isn't the place for critiquing grammar afterall some of the very best footballers could hardly spell their own name… every knob has the right to rant on a footy forum whether they can spell or not.
Go spruik your amazing grasp of the english language on some grammar forum…

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Just appreciate the fact that you have had access to a good education - which not everyone does, this isn't the place for critiquing grammar afterall some of the very best footballers could hardly spell their own name… every knob has the right to rant on a footy forum whether they can spell or not.
Or perhaps a Polo or Croquette forum :roll:

Saints43
Club Player

dragit wrote:Just appreciate the fact that you have had access to a good education - which not everyone does, this isn't the place for critiquing grammar afterall some of the very best footballers could hardly spell their own name… every knob has the right to rant on a footy forum whether they can spell or not.
Just about every person in this country has access to good education.

When posting on this forum people are asking us to read their views.

Do some think everybody else owes them the extra effort of deciphering their gobbledygook just because they can't be arsed making it legible?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Yep I agree, if it is to much for them maybe they should find an English language forum.

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
And that's not a Dean Polo forum BTW :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Just about every person in this country has access to good education.

When posting on this forum people are asking us to read their views. 

Do some think everybody else owes them the extra effort of deciphering their gobbledygook just because they can't be arsed making it legible?
No, people should not have to decipher gobbledygook.

But please tell me, how does the use of "of" instead of "have", in an otherwise well constructed post, amount to gobbledygook?

That's what this all started out as  :roll:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
And that's not a Dean Polo forum BTW :wink:

Is BTW in the dictionary, if not some ppl might find it to hard to undrstand :)

I love this club
Saints43
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:But please tell me, how does the use of "of" instead of "have", in an otherwise well constructed post, amount to gobbledygook?

Unbeliveably - and apparently infuriatingly for you - the conversation has veered off to include a wider discussion of posting. So my post and the post I was replying to have nothing to do with the first post on Page1.

:roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:But please tell me, how does the use of "of" instead of "have", in an otherwise well constructed post, amount to gobbledygook?

Unbeliveably - and apparently infuriatingly for you - the conversation has veered of to include a wider discussion of posting. So my post and the post I was replying to have nothing to do with the first post on Page1.

:roll:
Nah, I'm cool.

Sorry

No, I'm cool!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

English is such a beautiful language. It's the world's default language. Why butcher it? Treating it carelessly is a bit like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. I know the inevitable tide of abbreviations and acronyms will destroy it eventually, but why not make the effort to preserve it for as long as we can. While we're harping on about spelling, it's definitely, not definately. Just had to slip that in.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

As my old man says: 'Grammar is for people with a sense of purpose. As for the others...well, the world always needs people to empty sanitary bins and fry chips.'

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:As my old man says: 'Grammar is for people with a sense of purpose. As for the others...well, the world always needs people to empty sanitary bins and fry chips.'

absolute rubbish
i do not fry chips and we have cleaners at work already

theres already a spelling nazi about, one that cant spell 8-)

avid
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
A croquette is a small, lightly crumbed and fried savory dumpling. I've got no idea what you mean! You are making absolutely no sense at all!!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Glad you cleared that up, Avid. Your point is well made and it's easy to make the correct presumption when the evidence and answers are obvious. Where good grammar, syntax and spelling come into it, is when you are trying to convey a somewhat complex message, or where the meaning of words may be easily confused. Most conflict arises from a lack of clear communication, or people's inability to express themselves properly. Correct use of the language leads to clear and unambiguous communication. It also minimises the need for assumption. As that great philosopher, Benny Hill, famously remarked, "Never assume, because when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME!" I'm afraid I must go now. I have to get back to my game of croquet.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well someone using 'should of' instead of 'should've' seems likely an easy mistake to me, I think I can work out what they mean, If you can't glean the meaning from that gobbledygook then internet forums are not for you…
Half the time I am writting on here from a phone, where deciding bewteen a colon or a semi-colon is not my biggest concern.
Forums are half-way between text messages and emails - for quick banter, different from your letters to the Queen, asking her to even up the draw.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
A croquette is a small, lightly crumbed and fried savory dumpling. I've got no idea what you mean! You are making absolutely no sense at all!!
What do YOU mean?

Why can't there be a forum for lovers of small, lightly crumbed and fried savory dumplings?

YOU are making absolutely no sense at all!! :roll: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
Thinline wrote:As my old man says: 'Grammar is for people with a sense of purpose. As for the others...well, the world always needs people to empty sanitary bins and fry chips.'

absolute rubbish

there's.............can't....... ffs....... :roll: ...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
philtee
Club Player

Thanks santazzi, I wish you could of told us sooner. It would of saved a lot
of trouble.

faircatfan
Club Player

I'd just like to inform soooooo many people, that there is no "E" in known.... and it is a one syllable word. It is NOT pronouced Knowen. same goes for thrown in by the boundary umpire. It is not throwen

jackson browne
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:

absolute rubbish

there's.............can't....... ffs....... :roll: ...
Looked ffs in the Oxford dictionary. Couldn't find that either. ffs. Looked up loser and liar and saw a picture of an old cleaner with some sort of silly wig on. Interesting.