Zac and the Umpires

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Zac and the Umpires

Doubt weve ever seen a player get so heavily scrutinised by the umpires than Zac. If the umpires can find a way to pay a free against they will and rarely does he receive any protection at all.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Maybe its just the 50/50s are going against him. Seen him get away with some shiz in the past as well though.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think most frees paid against him are technically there.

It just seems from my biased eyes that other defenders seem to get away with a lot more of those 'technical' frees than Zac.

Maybe they're all just better at disguising them?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I think most frees paid against him are technically there.

It just seems from my biased eyes that other defenders seem to get away with a lot more of those 'technical' frees than Zac.

Yep, it's all appearances really. He's like the Milne of the backline in that regard.

If you're going to infringe do it unobtrusively.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Funny you raise that.

It kept crossing my mind that the umpires must be mates with Robert Walls and were getting back at Zac on his behalf!

Some of the decisions were laughable! In particular the deliberate in the last quarter!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

He was crucified yesterday.

I thought he played a really good game - it's fine for the commentators to talk about numbers getting back, but Zac was really strong in a couple of one-on-ones with a clearly bigger, stronger and in-form opponent. But some on here only listen to Dwayne Russell, rather than making their own opinion.

If you're gonna ping a backman with every technical free, then you've got to be happy to pay them the other way.

A couple of times in marking contests Petrie clearly made high contact to Dawson.

And that deliberate......that happens 20 times every game. He was running straight towards the line, made contact with the ball 1m from the boundary. His only alternative was to take possession of the ball, and would have still gone out anyway.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Funny you raise that.

It kept crossing my mind that the umpires must be mates with Robert Walls and were getting back at Zac on his behalf!

Some of the decisions were laughable! In particular the deliberate in the last quarter!
And no free for Thomas' over the boundary sling early on.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Zac's "deliberately out of bounds" free was paid by the same umpire that gave one against Dal for kicking a short along-the-ground ball out of bounds. It was ridiculous, Dal was right in front of me and had no option but to kick low to Montagne I think, just up the road. That it bounced a little "right" ahead of Joey and out-of-bounds, was clearly accidental.

Far too technical umpiring - not needed. .

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I think most frees paid against him are technically there.

Yep, it's all appearances really. He's like the Milne of the backline in that regard.

If you're going to infringe do it unobtrusively.
Zac is utterly hopeless at disguising them. As he doesn't have footy smarts, he gets surprised when he gets pinged for what seem blatantly obvious free kicks.

And what's with all his whinging when he gives away free kicks?

And why does he always give away ill-disciplined free kicks with back-chat and pushing? Looks like he's trying to prove he's oh-so-tough.

These are mental chinks in his game he simply must do away with. Physically, he is already so slender that he needs to be strong on the mental department.

Unfortunately for Zac, Walls is still correct, and while there were some good signs yesterday, I've still got my heart in my mouth every time the ball goes in his vicinity.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Evertonfc said in part ;
And why does he always give away ill-disciplined free kicks?

I have been critical of him for this too. He needs to get it out of his game, which should be easy to do. Saw him "throw one" on the 50 line last night and gave away a free - unecessary in a tight game.

He is a key player for us and can improve a lot more. He needs to build up his body. Petrie and other opponents are consistently much bigger than he is.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How was the commentaters excuse for Petrie being allowed to shove Dawson in the back for there first goal. Tried to say that the hand in the back rule doesnt come into play as the ball was touched and wasnt a marking contest. :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The 50m penalty was pretty stupid by zac don't know why he has to resort to the tough guy stuff. But how on earth he didn't get a free kick when Petrie slung him to the ground and then took the mark is beyond me. It was the most blatant free I have seen in a long time

noob
Club Player

did he actually punch the guy with the 50 metre penalty?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

noob wrote:did he actually punch the guy with the 50 metre penalty?
No, he stuck his forearm into his throat whilst he was lying on the ground

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What about Brent Harvey lining up for goal after tackling a player without the ball and trying to shepherd but gets the free? I was there above it and after he passed the ball he grabbed the player to stop him chasing? On heavy scrutiny Schnierder still takes the cake.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

From the little I saw of Dawson in Geelong game he seems to focus more on his man than the ball, and does not seem to have enough footy smarts to carry it off.[/quote]

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:What about Brent Harvey lining up for goal after tackling a player without the ball and trying to shepherd but gets the free? I was there above it and after he passed the ball he grabbed the player to stop him chasing? On heavy scrutiny Schnierder still takes the cake.
Harvey is past it and spends the whole game trying to milk frees. He also just dropped the ball leading up to North's first goal and somehow got a free for holding the man.

I was so happy when he gave the free away behind play and even happier when the other guy tried to smother Tommy's kick and gave away 50.

Back to the OP, I couldn't work out why Petrie was dragging Zac along the ground leading up to the first goal but neither the 17 umpires or 23 commentators saw a thing.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Strangle 'em Saints

can't believe nobody has brought up the goal Petrie kicked from the goal square after 'marking' the touched kick.. he actually grabs zac by the jumper and slings him into the ground twice!.. cannot believe the umpire missed it twice! Theres gotta be something more to it as suggested by posters above.. Wish people would get off Zacs back his run at spoils and endeavour are second to very few.. fullbacks a tough gig and he does a lot to help out the others in the backline.. look at his one percenter stats also generally pretty good

ace
Saintsational Legend

Zac and the umpires have many things in common.
They both make heaps of mistakes, appear like they don't know what they are doing and clearly do not belong on a footy field.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Strangle 'em Saints wrote:can't believe nobody has brought up the goal Petrie kicked from the goal square after 'marking' the touched kick.. he actually grabs zac by the jumper and slings him into the ground twice!.. cannot believe the umpire missed it twice! Theres gotta be something more to it as suggested by posters above.. Wish people would get off Zacs back his run at spoils and endeavour are second to very few.. fullbacks a tough gig and he does a lot to help out the others in the backline.. look at his one percenter stats also generally pretty good
The umpires had their orders.
The Fueher wants his team, North Melbourne, to stay in Melbourne.
But they are a financial disaster, so they have been forced to sell home games to Tasmania.
This has upset the Fueher.
The Fueher has issued orders that whenever possible umpires are required to assist North Melbourne to win matches.
This must be done with as much subtlety as possible so as not to appear corrupt.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Strangle 'em Saints wrote:can't believe nobody has brought up the goal Petrie kicked from the goal square after 'marking' the touched kick.. he actually grabs zac by the jumper and slings him into the ground twice!.. cannot believe the umpire missed it twice! Theres gotta be something more to it as suggested by posters above.. Wish people would get off Zacs back his run at spoils and endeavour are second to very few.. fullbacks a tough gig and he does a lot to help out the others in the backline.. look at his one percenter stats also generally pretty good
Looks like Zac got votes from Ross so I wouldn't be too concerned about what a few "non selectors" around here have to say about him :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it justifies his giving away 50's though, he needs to cool it.

He played well, but he needs to stop thinking with a victim mentality, and just put the frustration into beating his opponent.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lucky for zac.....sam fisher spent the entire game 10 metres in front of drew petrie.....

One out......petrie would destroy him.....but he destroys many defenders...

Zac needs to focus on his job, he should be an unassuming player, not a wannabe hard man like that thompson from north......

Cloke, hall, petrie and co. Are really not that intimidated by the feminine zac...

But he's not hopeless, just a bit dumb at times

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lucky for zac.....sam fisher spent the entire game 10 metres in front of drew petrie.....

One out......petrie would destroy him.....but he destroys many defenders...

Zac needs to focus on his job, he should be an unassuming player, not a wannabe hard man like that thompson from north......

Cloke, hall, petrie and co. Are really not that intimidated by the feminine zac...

But he's not hopeless, just a bit dumb at times
The push and shove off the ball isn't a big deal - but Zac's crunched some dudes with some seriously well delivered hip and shoulders.

I can never, ever bag a guy for trying to add physicality to his game. It's the difference in a lot of cases, between being good and being really good.