Mid-Season Draft/ Trade Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SunburySaint
Club Player

Mid-Season Draft/ Trade Period

Was discussed at the CEO's meeting yesterday around the possibility of a mid season trade period.

This had been in place before, I personally think it would be a good idea. Imagine if it was in place now and with the lack of Ruck options we have, we could get someone like Hamish McIntosh who is struggling to get a game at Norf...

Not sure of the logistics but I think it would have both positives and Negatives.

Thoughts?

Now lives in Geelong...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its a good idea but are you sure it means we get players from other AFL clubs. It previously had nothing to do with AFL clubs. Anyway i wouldnt be going for a ruckman. We have a great one and you only need one these days. I tough onvballer to replace Lenny would be my go. A bit of pace would help.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Mid-season draft? I think a pre-round game of musical chairs might be more fun. Geez, imagine the potential exodus from our club half-way through this season...Collingwood would have had 800 players on their list and no-one to play!

That's my 'round about way of saying, I don't really see a point to it when cases like McIntosh's are rare. Besides, unless you're close to the individual or the club, you'd have to take that case as media speculation, not fact.

SunburySaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Its a good idea but are you sure it means we get players from other AFL clubs. It previously had nothing to do with AFL clubs. Anyway i wouldnt be going for a ruckman. We have a great one and you only need one these days. I tough onvballer to replace Lenny would be my go. A bit of pace would help.
Yeah it was discussed at an AFL level and they weren't sure how it would work for VFL SANFL WAFL etc....

I agree with the fact that we have a great ruckman already... But what would happen if he get injured? IMO we have been lucky in that regard.

Although a replacement for Lenny would be nice, but I think we currently have enough midfielders doing their jobs well.

Now lives in Geelong...
shmic_s
Club Player

I like the idea of a draft, NOT the trade.

Allow players who are in the VFL/WAFL etc, or anyone that had nominated for the draft 6 months earlier but didnt get picked up, to be eligible.

Everyone has one spot on their list that opens up. Clubs can then upgrade a rookie or pick up someone in the mid-season draft. Also can replace a spot on the list for a player that has been put onto the LTI.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

AFL drop a few timely bombshells out of the meeting yesterday to take the heat off tanking..

Bring back the Lockett era
Grantaire
Opposition Fan

shmic_s wrote:I like the idea of a draft, NOT the trade.

Allow players who are in the VFL/WAFL etc, or anyone that had nominated for the draft 6 months earlier but didnt get picked up, to be eligible.

Everyone has one spot on their list that opens up. Clubs can then upgrade a rookie or pick up someone in the mid-season draft. Also can replace a spot on the list for a player that has been put onto the LTI.
Agree. The thought of players representing different teams during the season leaves me cold.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:AFL drop a few timely bombshells out of the meeting yesterday to take the heat off tanking..
That is exactly what this is...

Nothing more than a smoke screen.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:I like the idea of a draft, NOT the trade.
If this is what they are proposing, in the fashion of a GWS mini-draft, it does make sense. Trade, there is little call for it.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Draft idea has some merit - all upside, with no real downside risk.

I don't like the idea of a Trade, with players changing Clubs mid year. What will happen, is that after 4 - 5 games, media "speculation" will intensify about who may move where. This in turn, is likely to cause irritation within Club player groups. Let's just focus on the main game - football for a change.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I suppose we could draft a rookie to take the place of Gaertner. It would be of no assistance to the Senior team though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The Draft idea has some merit - all upside, with no real downside risk.

I don't like the idea of a Trade, with players changing Clubs mid year. What will happen, is that after 4 - 5 games, media "speculation" will intensify about who may move where. This in turn, is likely to cause irritation within Club player groups. Let's just focus on the main game - football for a change.
Yep, people got upset when Zac took Max's place in the 2009 and Zac was actually a Saints player.

Imagine someone coming in from another club half way through the year and displacing a team favourite.

I know it may be the difference between winning a flag and not winning one. And I know players often change clubs anyway.

However if we are to grab that elusive second flag I'd want to do it with players who have been at the club all the way through from the pre season.

Perhaps that's just me. :?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think a mid season draft would have little to do with current AFL players. Although people like Lovett and Fevola would be considered I imagine.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

That's the point Bazz, a mid-year Draft wouldn't do much damage, as the choices would have been "on-the-market" so to speak in the past and it could give some young guys and/or rejects, a new opportunity.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

been done before...was failure...and contrary to what some would have you believe it did involve some players changing clubs...phil krakouer went from the roos to footscray for example...we picked up bernie harris and brian wlson. plus 3 other dropkicks......whoopie.... :roll: ....from memory we lost rod owen to melbourne in a round about way.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PLUGGER14
Club Player

stinger wrote:been done before...was failure...and contrary to what some would have you believe it did involve some players changing clubs...phil krakouer went from the roos to footscray for example...we picked up bernie harris and brian wlson. plus 3 other dropkicks......whoopie.... :roll: ....from memory we lost rod owen to melbourne in a round about way.....
Silvio Foschini & Paul Morwood came to us from Sydney mid season which created some controvesy from memory. Think one (or even both) were deregistered by the then VFL. Was this in the era you are referring to stinger?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
stinger wrote:been done before...was failure...and contrary to what some would have you believe it did involve some players changing clubs...phil krakouer went from the roos to footscray for example...we picked up bernie harris and brian wlson. plus 3 other dropkicks......whoopie.... :roll: ....from memory we lost rod owen to melbourne in a round about way.....
Silvio Foschini & Paul Morwood came to us from Sydney mid season which created some controvesy from memory. Think one (or even both) were deregistered by the then VFL. Was this in the era you are referring to stinger?
Didn't the former spend most of the remaining season in court for breach of contract as a result of the move?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
no...they were not part of any draft...we just stole them and played them at a time when we were challenging the afl and threatening to sue them for restraint of trade...they still hate us to this day.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Didn't the former spend most of the remaining season in court for breach of contract as a result of the move?
Don't think they even had a draft back then.

Players could simply change clubs up to a certain cut off date, assuming a deal was done. Unfortunately in the Morwood/Foschini case a deal couldn't be done but that's another story.

The Saints regularly brought kids down from Ballarat during the first part of the season (no limits on lists back in those days :) )
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Fri 05 Aug 2011 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep, as Stinger said, it was a Restraint of Trade issue. Lindsay Fox was Saints Chairman at the time and the threatened court action did frighten the s... out of the VFL - was successful for the Saints.

This issue was the end of the "friendly" VFL, pushing it into a more professional/legally concious approach to things.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

TRADE - most shithouse idea since Hitler seized power in Germany. Hand in hand with free agency, they would go along way to completely destroying the fabric of club culture that seperates us from pleb codes around the world where players change clubs like they change clothes.

DRAFT - not AS bad, but utterly unecessary. So you have a few injuries mid year, so f****** what. You deal with what your dealt in this game and work your way through it. MUST WE DREAM UP LITTLE FIXES AND CONTINGINCIES FOR EVERYTHING ?? :twisted:

Heres a radical idea Anderson, how about leaving the fooking game alone for 5 minutes? 5 MINUTES? beggars belief. The very fact a god damn lawyer is f****** with the game like this is a massive problem in itself. Deserves the hardest of punches upside the head.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
I remember all the argy bargy over those 2 coming to us. Both were quite good players for us from memory.( please feel free to correct if me judgement is clouded)
I think Moorwood may have even returned to play with Sydney.

I love this club
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
PLUGGER14 wrote:
I remember all the argy bargy over those 2 coming to us. Both were quite good players for us from memory.( please feel free to correct if me judgement is clouded)
I think Moorwood may have even returned to play with Sydney.
He did, then went to Collingwood. Won a B&F with us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Let me guess trade Gram, Raph, Kosi, Gilbert and get Ablett, Swan and Cox?