The singing of the St.Kilda theme song

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

The singing of the St.Kilda theme song

There is something that's been erking me for quite a few years now.

It's the way the boys sing the song. Stephen Milne makes a rhythmical error when he leads the boys into the call and response section of the song. He goes straight into "Oh WHEN THE SAINTS" on the beat immediately following the last line of the chorus, when in actuality he should wait two beats before he comes in.

It wouldn't be such a big issue, but it is, because this is what has happened as a result of it: Whenever we, the saints supporters, spontaneously break into singing the song at games, which, by the way, I am all for, as it would be great if we could invent more of our own songs and chants to hype up the players, but what happens is the song breaks down amongst the crowd when it reaches this point in the tune. I've heard it happen many times, and unfortunately for Milney it's all his fault, because half the supporters come straight in to the bridge section a la Milne, while the other half stick to the original, true rendition of the song, so the rythem of the song gets thrown out of whack.

I'm a full time muso, so may I be so bold as to suggest that even if Milney keeps singing it the same way, when we in the crowd sing the song, after the last "oh when the saints go marching in" of the first chorus, everyone WAIT TWO BEATS before the beginning of the call and response section of the tune. It has more impact this way. A two beat pause, followed by half the crowd each singing "oh when the saints" "oh when the saints" "go marching in" "go marching" in, and then everyone together again with a thunderous "OH WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN."

I just had to say this because it would be so great to hear the theme song echoing around the walls of etihad but everytime it gets to that call and response section half the crowd come straight in because they've heard Milne sing it that way so many times and the rythem gets lost and the song doesn't even make it to the end.

The original version is the way its meant to be.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SunburySaint
Club Player

Re: The singing of the St.Kilda theme song

hungry for a premiership wrote:There is something that's been erking me for quite a few years now.

It's the way the boys sing the song. Stephen Milne makes a rhythmical error when he leads the boys into the call and response section of the song. He goes straight into "Oh WHEN THE SAINTS" on the beat immediately following the last line of the chorus, when in actuality he should wait two beats before he comes in.

It wouldn't be such a big issue, but it is, because this is what has happened as a result of it: Whenever we, the saints supporters, spontaneously break into singing the song at games, which, by the way, I am all for, as it would be great if we could invent more of our own songs and chants to hype up the players, but what happens is the song breaks down amongst the crowd when it reaches this point in the tune. I've heard it happen many times, and unfortunately for Milney it's all his fault, because half the supporters come straight in to the bridge section a la Milne, while the other half stick to the original, true rendition of the song, so the rythem of the song gets thrown out of whack.

I'm a full time muso, so may I be so bold as to suggest that even if Milney keeps singing it the same way, when we in the crowd sing the song, after the last "oh when the saints go marching in" of the first chorus, everyone WAIT TWO BEATS before the beginning of the call and response section of the tune. It has more impact this way. A two beat pause, followed by half the crowd each singing "oh when the saints" "oh when the saints" "go marching in" "go marching" in, and then everyone together again with a thunderous "OH WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN."

I just had to say this because it would be so great to hear the theme song echoing around the walls of etihad but everytime it gets to that call and response section half the crowd come straight in because they've heard Milne sing it that way so many times and the rythem gets lost and the song doesn't even make it to the end.

As a muso I can see where your coming from, however when the boys sing it, they do it their way...... In any case more important things to worry about than the way the song is sung mate

Now lives in Geelong...
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Just glad when they can sing it.........

makes it original

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I like milney's version - retire it when he does.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

hungry for a premiership wrote:There is something that's been erking me for quite a few years now.

I have to concentrate in case I forget the words

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Don't tell us, tell Jack Steven. He's probably gunna take over when Milney retires !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

St Lenny
Club Player

Oh dear, go have a cup of tea.............

avid
Club Player

Not much chance of changing current habits I'd say.
But in the cause of futile pedantry I'd also say this :
It bugs me the way they sing the second last line too -- "Oh how I long to be at St Kilda" with "St Kilda" shortened almost to SnKidda. It makes the last line of the song just drop off to nothing.
That last "St Kilda" should be long and proud -- extended and emphasised .
Then the last "SAINTS" - when the SAINTS go marching in -- could be hit loud and proud too.

Is anybody following me?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Did you consider Milney might be right and Louis Armstrong got it wrong?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I have always noticed this as well. Maybe if he got it right we'd win a Premiership?

But for now, Milney still has an accute case of WMD (white male disease). Another words, a bad sense of rhythm.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Born in Moorabbin
Club Player

Listen to the Cats singing their song, and I think you'll agree our boys are streets ahead with their musicianship, not to mention enthusiasm!!!!!!

Allwewantisaflag
SainterSoul
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:Oh dear, go have a cup of tea.............
Was going to say the same thing. Surely there are other things worth worrying about?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

"Hungry for a Premiership" - you have a point. The problem will be in getting some action taken on it.

Send your comments directly to the Club - the Football Department and see what, if anything, happens.

Trouble is, I can't see Ross having singing lessons after their Thursday pre-match strategy meeting!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:"Hungry for a Premiership" - you have a point. The problem will be in getting some action taken on it.

Send your comments directly to the Club - the Football Department and see what, if anything, happens.

Trouble is, I can't see Ross having singing lessons after their Thursday pre-match strategy meeting!!
Should singing skills be included in the Draft Camp? :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Doc said :
Should singing skills be included in the Draft Camp?
Maybe that's what our Recruiters have been focusing on for the past few years, instead of kicking skills :wink: :wink:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So what will happen I wonder when Milney retires. Will he hand over the duty to somebody else?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Yeah, like I said in the OP, I dont mind the way the boys sing it, what really gets my goat is when the crowd sing it and never get to the end because they dont know whether to sing Milne's version or the original.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:Did you consider Milney might be right and Louis Armstrong got it wrong?
Quoted for truth!

The Saints are coming!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Did you consider Milney might be right and Louis Armstrong got it wrong?
Don't be dissin' Louis. The man had music flowing through his DNA.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What about if we go back to singing

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside
I do like to be beside the sea!
I do like to stroll upon the Prom, Prom, Prom!
Where the brass bands play:
"Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"
So just let me be beside the seaside
I'll be beside myself with glee

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Milney has changed the club song...quite a legacy.

I prefer to hear the original among the supporters, but there's nothing quite like hearing his scratchy voice cackle out "Owenthesaints" to finish it off in the rooms.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I like the Yee Hah part at the end. :D

SaintDebi
Club Player

It sounds perfectly fine to me
.......then again I am tone deaf

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Well, I was sitting on the members wing tonight, and in the last quarter some people in the back yelled "KNOCK KNOCK," then came the response "WHOSE THERE" "OWEN" OWEN WHO?" "OWEN THE SAINTS" and the theme song got sung.

Lo and behold, when the call and response section came in, eveyone came straight on, ala milne, and got through the whole song without incident.

LOVE IT!!!

I wonder if this thread made a difference......

PaytonPlace
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:Well, I was sitting on the members wing tonight, and in the last quarter some people in the back yelled "KNOCK KNOCK," then came the response "WHOSE THERE" "OWEN" OWEN WHO?" "OWEN THE SAINTS" and the theme song got sung.

Lo and behold, when the call and response section came in, eveyone came straight on, ala milne, and got through the whole song without incident.

LOVE IT!!!

I wonder if this thread made a difference......
As a follower of all kind of Saints around the world, St Johnstone in Scotlands fanzine used to be called "Wendy Who?", a variation on that very Owen who reference...

I wouldn't criticise anything Milne does though, he's my hero, he could sing it in Swahili if he wanted...and I saw on Lunch with Lenny he can speak it!

Becca