SS Walsh hype meter this week..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
People think I am an idiot anyway but I hope he doesnt get a game. That would probably mean a 10 goal win.
Who is going to kick them? We're asking a lot of Milney these days.
Personally I'd prefer to see Roo and/or Kosi have a blinder up forward.

But then again I'm obviously out of step with the mainstream on here.

It's apparently more important to worry about what might happen in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 thatn for us to get up a head of steam whilst we consolidate our position in the 2011 Final 8 and even consider an unlikely tilt at this season's premiership.
I don't think you're out of step, just not too smart, if you reckon the "mainstream" here wouldn't like to see Roo or Kosi have a "blinder". We'd also like Blake to kick 50 goals a year playing at CHF and for Gilbert to get back to his 2008/2009 form and never miss targets, etc, etc, but maybe some of us just don't see these things happening in time for us to be a genuine threat in this years premiership race. Hence the call for Tommy to be given a crack, as it seems pretty clear we're one "power forward" light, in our forward line and he may give us something that we need in time for the finals.
With Roo so badly out of form and Milne's inability to have a major impact against the top 4 teams this season, plus his inability to deliver in big finals, do you seriously see our current forward line being good enough for us to win 4 finals, including most likely having to beat Essendon (our bogey team), Hawthorn, Geelong and then Collingwood, in consecutive weeks?
I doubt we have anything to lose by playing Tommy and he seems to have done a lot more in the VFL this year than many of the others that have been promoted ahead of him.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 21 Aug 2011 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
People think I am an idiot anyway but I hope he doesnt get a game. That would probably mean a 10 goal win.

It's apparently more important to worry about what might happen in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 thatn for us to get up a head of steam whilst we consolidate our position in the 2011 Final 8 and even consider an unlikely tilt at this season's premiership.
I don't think you're out of step, just not too smart, if you reckon the "mainstream" wouldn't like to see Roo or Kosi have a "blinder". We'd also like Blake to kick 50 goals a year playing at CHF and for Gilbert to get back to his 2008/2009 form and never miss targets, etc, etc, but maybe some of us just don't see these things happening in time for us to be a genuine threat in this years premiership race. Hence the call for Tommy to be given a crack, as it seems pretty clear we're one "power forward" light, in our forward line and he may give us something that we need in time for the finals.
We maybe a goal kicker short in the forward line but it doesnt actually have to be a power forward. Hawthorn are going OK with one main foward, Geelong seem to be doing well with really only one and the pies have played the last 7 weeks with only 2 talls. WCE and the Blues seem the same. It isnt as if we need 3 talls we just need our 2 talls in form which they arent. Kosi will never be good enough and Rooy is struggling. Im still unsure how 3 talls in the forward line would help our defensive skills.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Personally I'd prefer to see Roo and/or Kosi have a blinder up forward.

IMO we have structural problems that need to be addressed now, not next year or later.

The kick-it-to-Roo mentality has been well and truly worked out by opponents and is easily countered.

He looks jaded and our forward line looks impotent.

Kosi is better value as second ruck and we are short a true key forward.

I'd take the risk on Walsh.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 21 Aug 2011 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:plus his inability to deliver in big finals
Can't believe this myth still persists after 2010!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't think you're out of step, just not too smart, if you reckon the "mainstream" here wouldn't like to see Roo or Kosi have a "blinder". We'd also like Blake to kick 50 goals a year playing at CHF and for Gilbert to get back to his 2008/2009 form and never miss targets, etc, etc, but maybe some of us just don't see these things happening in time for us to be a genuine threat in this years premiership race. Hence the call for Tommy to be given a crack, as it seems pretty clear we're one "power forward" light, in our forward line and he may give us something that we need in time for the finals.
With Roo so badly out of form and Milne's inability to have a major impact against the top 4 teams this season, plus his inability to deliver in big finals, do you seriously see our current forward line being good enough for us to win 4 finals, including most likely having to beat Essendon (our bogey team), Hawthorn, Geelong and then Collingwood, in consecutive weeks?
I doubt we have anything to lose by playing Tommy.
That's a surprising comment coming from you.
I didn't think you were capable of forming your own opinion, rather just parroting and supporting the comments of your fearless leader, Captain Hindsight'.

The thread seems to have become a 'demand' for Walsh to be selected in the hopes of us becoming a much better team..

Personally I reckon that we'd becaome much more dangerous (and better) if 2 of our current tall forwards were to regain form.

Afterall, one of them has been considered to be in the top 5 players in the AFL whilst the other has shown, at times, he is a very damaging player.

But then, given that I'm not 'too smart' I guess you must be right.

It's more important to get a bloke from Ireland, who started seriously playing aussie rules 2 years ago, into the team than hoping those other 2 performing better.

BTW, if all of your 'wishful thinking' were to occur what would you and your fellow accolytes have to complain about?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:plus his inability to deliver in big finals
Can't believe this myth still persists after 2010!
Only believed by some.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't think you're out of step, just not too smart, if you reckon the "mainstream" wouldn't like to see Roo or Kosi have a "blinder". We'd also like Blake to kick 50 goals a year playing at CHF and for Gilbert to get back to his 2008/2009 form and never miss targets, etc, etc, but maybe some of us just don't see these things happening in time for us to be a genuine threat in this years premiership race. Hence the call for Tommy to be given a crack, as it seems pretty clear we're one "power forward" light, in our forward line and he may give us something that we need in time for the finals.
We maybe a goal kicker short in the forward line but it doesnt actually have to be a power forward. Hawthorn are going OK with one main foward, Geelong seem to be doing well with really only one and the pies have played the last 7 weeks with only 2 talls. WCE and the Blues seem the same. It isnt as if we need 3 talls we just need our 2 talls in form which they arent. Kosi will never be good enough and Rooy is struggling. Im still unsure how 3 talls in the forward line would help our defensive skills.
Maybe a goalkicker short? I think that's putting it mildly. Especially since Milne generally struggles in finals and has scored just 1 goal in 4 or 5 games against the top 3 teams this season.
And it certainly doesn't have to be a "power forward", but given the fact Roo and Kosi are both tall but also very light and more suited to leading and using their athleticism, I certainly don't think having Tommy there would make us too top-heavy. The other two get beaten in push and shoves almost every time against quality opponents.
As for the other teams you mentioned, Hawthorn may only have the one up forward (due to the loss of Roughhead, who would be there otherwise) but it helps that the one is Lance Franklin and is dominating and back to his best. We don't have someone like him up forward.
I was under the impression that Geelong had Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly there in recent weeks and that Collingwood will welcome back Dawes with open arms, bringing them back to 3.
And don't West Coast have Kennedy, Darling and Lynch, with one of Cox and Natanui resting there on a regular basis?
Not that it matters what other sides are doing, though. That would only matter to those who just follow the herd and don't think for themselves.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe a goalkicker short? I think that's putting it mildly. Especially since Milne generally struggles in finals and has scored just 1 goal in 4 or 5 games against the top 3 teams this season.
And it certainly doesn't have to be a "power forward", but given the fact Roo and Kosi are both tall but also very light and more suited to leading and using their athleticism, I certainly don't think having Tommy there would make us too top-heavy. The other two get beaten in push and shoves almost every time against quality opponents.
As for the other teams you mentioned, Hawthorn may only have the one up forward (due to the loss of Roughhead, who would be there otherwise) but it helps that the one is Lance Franklin and is dominating and back to his best. We don't have someone like him up forward.
I was under the impression that Geelong had Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly there in recent weeks and that Collingwood will welcome back Dawes with open arms, bringing them back to 3.
And don't West Coast have Kennedy, Darling and Lynch, with one of Cox and Natanui resting there on a regular basis?
Not that it matters what other sides are doing, though. That would only matter to those who just follow the herd and don't think for themselves.
Or want changes made to show some guts. Also sounds like from you are saying that the top sides do have 3 tall forwards that you want to follow the herd where as I would rather pick the best players for our side to win.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't need to be three tall forwards. Two tall forwards and Kosi as second ruck where he has played his best football.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:It doesn't need to be three tall forwards. Two tall forwards and Kosi as second ruck where he has played his best football.
So where does Kosi play when he isnt rucking. Forward of course and that is 75% of the game so he really is a forward so it does make it 3 talls if Walsh plays.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I doubt we have anything to lose by playing Tommy.
Personally I reckon that we'd becaome much more dangerous (and better) if 2 of our current tall forwards were to regain form.
The rest of your drivel isn't worth responding to, but this comment is just stating the bleeding obvious. Of course we would, but given the fact Roo has struggled for the majority of the year and looks to be clearly hampered by an injury and the fact Kosi hasn't played the sort of dominant form we really want from him since 2005, I just don't see it happening in time for us to be a genuine threat this year. If it does then that would be f****** awesome. It would also be awesome to win Tattslotto and to be able to get a refund on the desalinisation plant.
So I'd rather we see what someone like Tommy has to offer, because I believe we'll be a long way off the best sides in September the way we're going.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:It doesn't need to be three tall forwards. Two tall forwards and Kosi as second ruck where he has played his best football.
So where does Kosi play when he isnt rucking. Forward of course and that is 75% of the game so he really is a forward so it does make it 3 talls if Walsh plays.
He could go a kick behind the play drifting forward occasionally.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:[Personally I reckon that we'd becaome much more dangerous (and better) if 2 of our current tall forwards were to regain form.
The rest of your drivel isn't worth responding to, but this comment is just stating the bleeding obvious. Of course we would, but given the fact Roo has struggled for the majority of the year and looks to be clearly hampered by an injury and the fact Kosi hasn't played the sort of dominant form we really want from him since 2005, I just don't see it happening in time for us to be a genuine threat this year. If it does then that would be f****** awesome. It would also be awesome to win Tattslotto and to be able to get a refund on the desalinisation plant.
So I'd rather we see what someone like Tommy has to offer, because I believe we'll be a long way off the best sides in September the way we're going.[/quote]

Personally I'd much prefer my 'drivel' than your 'dribble'.
But each to their own.

And fwiw, I trust the opinions of our coaching panel over the prognostications of 'our fearless leader', parroted on here ad nauseum by you and the other accolytes.

I reckon they may know a tad more about who should/shouldn't play than you or I and certainly more than OFL.

Sam23
SS Life Member

3 Power Forwards doesn't work.

Gehrig-Koschitzke-Riewoldt anyone?

Goddard.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Interesting win today and you want Walsh in next week,does that mean 3 talls in next week,Kosi,Zac and walsh,usually hard to change a winning side

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Has Tommy committed to coming back next year yet?
Nah Tommys is gone, he will be returning to heaven healing the sick and walking on water as he goes

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Or want changes made to show some guts. Also sounds like from you are saying that the top sides do have 3 tall forwards that you want to follow the herd where as I would rather pick the best players for our side to win.
Here you go twisting my words yet again? Who are you trying to impress here? Is there someone out there who you think cares?
I want them to make the brave calls because they're the best calls and because we aren't going to win the flag by being conservative. I understand the difference between "brave" and "stupid", which you clearly don't, given your responses to what I said previously. But then that's no surprise, since I have to explain so many things so slowly for you to understand them.
And I'm certainly not saying I want to follow the other top sides with 3 power forwards, I was just responding to what you said about each one of them, as what you said didn't sound correct to me.
That's funny you talking about me being the one wanting to "follow the herd", too, when it's usually me who's not afraid to suggest something out of the ordinary, or that we haven't tried before, while it's you who always respond along the lines of "when has that ever been done before", or "who has done that successfully before", as though there isn't a first time for everything. You poo-hoo basically every new idea anyone puts forward on here and all you ever seem to suggest is to do what the leading teams of the time are doing, or what has been done before. You are the perfect example I could imagine of someone "following the herd".
You also obviously think you're something really special and that you're the only one here that wants us to do what's "best for us", but it may actually occur to your pea brain at some stage that the rest of us here do, too, but maybe we just believe a different path to that goal would be better for us. Unlike you, some of us are aware that there is more than one way to skin a cat and there is more than one road that leads to Rome.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Sam23 wrote:3 Power Forwards doesn't work.

Gehrig-Koschitzke-Riewoldt anyone?
You're kidding aren't you? Are you genuinely serious?
Have you not seen Collingwood in the past 12 months, for one example? One of the most dominant teams of all time and they've mostly had Cloke, Leigh Brown and Chris Dawes in their forward line and they're all genuine "power forwards", much more physically solid than Roo and Kosi.
Then one of the most improved teams of all time, the Eagles, have gone from the bottom of the ladder last year to top 4 this year with Kennedy, Darling and Quentin Lynch up forward (with Nic Nat and Cox resting up there too). They're just two examples in the last 12 months.
And the Gehrig thing mostly didn't work (in that last year) because they tried to play him in the pocket, near the boundary, with about 10 metres to work in/lead into and hoped he would suddenly start taking pack marks, after kicking the ball on his head, despite the fact that wasn't a strength of his game. Big surprise that that didn't work.
And didn't we previously have Gehrig, Kosi, Roo and Hamill in our forward line, in 2004/2005?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

There's a game about to start fellas :wink: