The slow news day story- Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:It doesn't matter what any of us think should be the players' attitude towards training at Seaford: Raph's comment indicates that it's quite clearly an issue for them and the club will need to address it or it will be in trouble.

Modern day footballers are prima donnas. Operatic prima donnas (the late great Maria Callas being perhaps the prime example) are known to demand all sorts of unreasonable things or else they won't sing. Childish, silly, selfish - call it whatever you like - but the story always ends the same way: you have to give in to their demands, or they don't sing.
Yeah, it's fine to ask "what are they whingeing about" and say "I'd swap jobs with them anyday" etc.

The problem here is not that the players compare themselves to the rest of us but compare themselves to other players in the competition. If all Melbourne clubs had relocated to Seaford it wouldn't have been such an issue. But our guys were taken out of their comfort zone while the majority of oppostion players got to continue at their inner city training venues.

I'm not saying they were right to sook a bit; I'm just accepting the reality of human emotions.

Anyway, the main point is that they now seem to have accepted it and moved on.

Maybe a few on here could follow their lead :wink:

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

changing a routine is a big deal especially where location is involved
we all thought the new training facilities would instantly boost us
but it's clearly taken time for the players to adjust
let's just hope that they now have, and we start to see the benefits

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
spert
Saintsational Legend

Just think, in 40 years when the Saints move out of Seaford to their new complex in the outer suburb of Seymour, many will say "we should have stayed at Seaford"

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Great cafe on the seaford beach.....go there a lot with my wife and enjoy a sinny latte.....Whilst looking out onto the bay
Try the one across the rd - opposite the post office - awesome coffee!!

Mrs Seaford_Saint

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

spert wrote:Just think, in 40 years when the Saints move out of Seaford to their new complex in the outer suburb of Seymour, many will say "we should have stayed at Seaford"
Nah...... Tootgarook.

It's on the peninsula.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Winmar
Club Player

We've got it pretty easy too if we have the luxury to whinge about football players. Others have more significant things to think about, like getting enough money for more than one meal a day or bombs going off at their local market.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
B W and R all over wrote:Are they also aware that most of the working population quite often spend at least nine hours straight at their place of work, five times a week for a fraction of what AFL players are paid?
My sentiments exactly and I hope Raphs comments were taken out of context. I travel 40 ks each way to work and including travel time am away for 12-13 hours per day and god forbid I work with the same people every day, it's so damned hard...
Most of the population are not elite professional sportsmen and travelling for extended periods in cramped cars is not good for athletes. I'm sure Iceman and BWR don't have to exert themselves to much physically during the working day.
When at Moorabbin it was easy for them to go home for a couple of hours between sessions. It's easy for you all to say just move, but it's not that easy to just move.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:travelling for extended periods in cramped cars is not good for athletes.
Surely they can afford something bigger than a Toyota Yaris?

Bit rough they have to car pool six in a car in one of those?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:travelling for extended periods in cramped cars is not good for athletes.
Those F1 blokes seem to cope ok 8-)

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Those F1 blokes seem to cope ok 8-)
Yeah.... but they're all rovers.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Players also have to work every weekend, both in preparation, gameday, and recovery.

As we use football as weekend recreation, it is their workplace. They may get days off during the week, but they get maybe one weekend off a season.

I can see why some people woulfd think they are pampered, and yes most of us have to travel on average an hour each way to-from work, but working as an elite sportsman is much more taxing and they have a much shorter working life as a professional sportsman.

Then they have to go and earn a living like the rest of us.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that when at Morrabbin, they could "take a break" from things and people and relax between training sessions.

Having to hang around at the Seaford complex all day in somewhat confined space, would be a bit like living with 40 other people in a submarine - it can get a bit tricky from time to time, as "small" differences and habits become greatly magnified.

Huzzad
Club Player

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews