VFL SANFL WAFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

VFL SANFL WAFL

Are there many blokes worth looking at from these leauges?

I see Shane Valenti just won another Liston medal, there must be something wrong with him if Melbourne let him go

Ahmed Saad looks a likely type?

The Hawks and Blues seem to have done well with a few VFL/SANFL players this year, Isaac Smith looks like a beauty, Duigan & Curnow are pretty solid… we let Barlow slip by us, surely there are more hidden gems?

Should we be looking for a late blossomer or purely youth now?

The skills seem to be the worry for blokes stuck in these lower comps… and we can't afford to get any more players with dodgy skills.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Yes absolutely.

I watch the occasioanal SANFL match and could not beleive Paul Puopolo got picked up, and I certainly didnt expect him to get a senior game. Have a look at him now.

SANFL is a decent standard with mostly men playing ie you dont get many 17 year old draftees playing senior footy. I havent watched many games this year, but you can bet that there are a lot of players in their early 20's that can step up to play AFL given a chance. Duigan, Barlow, Podsiadsly are standouts from recent years. We've had our own share of success in the past - Sam Fisher taken as a 21 yr old if i recall. Andrew Thomson as a 23 yrd old, Dean Greig, and Im sure there are more.

The real question is - do we have enough decent scouts covering the SANFL, WAFL & VFL ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL SANFL WAFL

dragit wrote:Are there many blokes worth looking at from these leauges?

I see Shane Valenti just won another Liston medal, there must be something wrong with him if Melbourne let him go

Ahmed Saad looks a likely type?

The Hawks and Blues seem to have done well with a few VFL/SANFL players this year, Isaac Smith looks like a beauty, Duigan & Curnow are pretty solid… we let Barlow slip by us, surely there are more hidden gems?

Should we be looking for a late blossomer or purely youth now?

The skills seem to be the worry for blokes stuck in these lower comps… and we can't afford to get any more players with dodgy skills.
i watched a wafl final on the weekend and it seems like a high quality comp. some decent players running around. so by all means any kid playing well in that comp is worth looking at also. i think those 3 comps are decent enough and worth looking at.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Zed said in part :
The real question is - do we have enough decent scouts covering the SANFL, WAFL & VFL ?
That's spot on Zed. If you look at our recruiting in recent years, it has definitely not been good, to say the least!

I get the feeling that the Club is way behind others. It requires a lot of organisation/professionalism to set up, together with a strong financial investment.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If we did cut 8 players, we could still take the 4 best 17-18 year-olds, then try our luck with some early 20 year-olds.

We already have 5 places freed up, with more to come surely?

Cro
Club Player

I was at the Subi game on Sunday, as the boys were leaving the ground I told Rixxy to come back to St Kilda. He laughed at me. :(

Clearly the talent is out there, it's just a matter of if we have someone to spot the talent.
Would gladly let the club hire me to do the WAFL scouting next year. :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I saw the Moorabbin Saints FL under 17s grand final last week and the standard was better than VFL seniors.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure the club could do with volunteers from each state if anyone had the time, maybe they could arrange some benefits like seats when the Saints travel…

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Dragit commented :
I'm sure the club could do with volunteers from each state if anyone had the time, maybe they could arrange some benefits like seats when the Saints travel…
I am not speaking with any experience in this area, but I think that Clubs get "spotters" set-up as wide as they can. Often, past players take up coaching roles and become "spotters." However, I think that in the past, the Saints "structure" has been very weak interstate. Not sure how it looks today.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We seem to have recruited quite well from WA in recent years. I wonder who our man or men are over there

Christian Moretti

There are a few few guys in the Tasmanian State League that could be worth looking at, some maturer aged guys there as well.

yallingup saints
Club Player

There's plenty at subi, take your pick - horsley, blechynden, kerr, waters, joyce, broadhurst all of these would fit in straight away and guess what they can hit a target by either foot. Wouldn't that be handy!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I saw the Moorabbin Saints FL under 17s grand final last week and the standard was better than VFL seniors.
Good win by St Peters. Callum Cathcart may be a chance in a few years.

busso mick
Club Player

yallingup saints wrote:There's plenty at subi, take your pick - horsley, blechynden, kerr, waters, joyce, broadhurst all of these would fit in straight away and guess what they can hit a target by either foot. Wouldn't that be handy!!
I'm a big Broadhurst fan Yallingup Saints, he is mobile, strong and can kick a goal. Wouldn't that be handy :wink:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

There's a few in the NEAFL worth a squizz, but the clear void in fitness simply may not be 'caught up' in a single off season...They're a more old fashioned style of player up here. Strong, tough, fearless but about 8-10kgs over the odds...

Of the Suns delistings, you'd have to look at Joel Tippett if we lost, say, a Gilbo to GWS or some such and Marc Lock was desperately unlucky not to get more of a go and may flourish elsewhere....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
yallingup saints
Club Player

Yep agree Busso Mick - Broadhurst is exactly what we need. Won the WAFL goalkicking award this year and surely some club will pick him up. Just hope it's us and not one of the Perth clubs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know if the Butcher at Gippsland is the brother of Port's Butcher? He seems to be in the best all the time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Does anyone know if the Butcher at Gippsland is the brother of Port's Butcher? He seems to be in the best all the time.
Yes he is.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:I saw the Moorabbin Saints FL under 17s grand final last week and the standard was better than VFL seniors.
If he gets onto the HGH.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Lachy384
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
If he gets onto the HGH.
My brother played in that match for Mordi haha! He kicked the first goal :P

Got to have a look at Tom Tyquin who plays for St Bedes and now Sandy dragons in a couple of years. I coached him for basketball, he's a great kick on both sides and can run all day.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

There is a 17 or 18 year old running around in the WAFL, I think for East Perth, called Shaquelle McKenzie who goes pretty well. Has great speed and can use the ball quite well. Problem is he would no doubt be on the radar of the WA teams already

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Ten Fourteen

Thinline wrote:There's a few in the NEAFL worth a squizz, but the clear void in fitness simply may not be 'caught up' in a single off season...They're a more old fashioned style of player up here. Strong, tough, fearless but about 8-10kgs over the odds...

Of the Suns delistings, you'd have to look at Joel Tippett if we lost, say, a Gilbo to GWS or some such and Marc Lock was desperately unlucky not to get more of a go and may flourish elsewhere....
I agree. Standard of footy has improved immensely in Brisbane. Dayne Zorko - best on the ground in the State game v WA where Qld only lost by 3 points in Perth. He's ready.