"Strength Through Loyalty"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

"Strength Through Loyalty"

In the aftermath of Ross Lyon's treachery it is interesting to reflect on his assertion that not once in his time at St Kilda did he implore his players to consider loyalty to either each other particularly or the team in general.

That tells me that he was never really truly committed to his club because the club's motto "Fortius Quo Fidelius" has been the ethos of our beloved team since its foundation over 100 years ago. It goes some way to explaining why he deserted the club so impassively, and as far as I am concerned Fremantle (the graveyard of coaches) are welcome to him because he is never going to be a premiership coach.

I have always wondered why he showed so little emotion during a game - it is obvious now that for Ross Lyon coaching is a job like being a senior bureaucrat or company CEO. He failed to understand that football clubs consist of young elite athletes who are driven by passion to become the best they can be on the fields of play, to conquer their opponent(s) and claim the ultimate victory.

And to our new coach I would like to say this: show us your true feelings and impart these to your players in no uncertain terms. Tell us that you are part of this team and that you want to be there; acknowledge by example that passion and loyalty are infectious and essential to the success of the team. It is all very well to develop KPIs and employ other corporate jargon tools to bring the best out of the players and the team, but please, please demonstrate to the supporters that you are not just there for the money and link arms with the players after a stirring victory to belt out the team song!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just hold back from going the full Thommo and hanging out then bagging umpires in Pressers.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

And to our new coach I would like to say this: show us your true feelings and impart these to your players in no uncertain terms. Tell us that you are part of this team and that you want to be there; acknowledge by example that passion and loyalty are infectious and essential to the success of the team. It is all very well to develop KPIs and employ other corporate jargon tools to bring the best out of the players and the team, but please, please demonstrate to the supporters that you are not just there for the money and link arms with the players after a stirring victory to belt out the team song!! COULDN'T SAT tHIS ANY BETTER! +1

saintwill66
Club Player

To those of you who use the rationality that since modern football is an "industry", players and coaches are justified in deserting their clubs and chase the big dollars, the following article by Greg Baum very poignantly argues the opposite:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 1ke1i.html

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the only loyal people are the fans...when will some of you people wake up ?
Don't get me wrong , I just love latin logos but let's get fair dinkum.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

in the same way that footy is 'more than a game', it's also more than a business.
yes loyalty still exists - but if we remain silent and accepting it will disappear as an expectation from sport. as it is some feel it to their club, some only to themselves and their family.
it'll be a sad day when the likes of trevor barker no longer exist. tnat day isn't here yet.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:the only loyal people are the fans...when will some of you people wake up ?
this

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the only loyal people are the fans...when will some of you people wake up ?
this
this this

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
this
this this
this x3

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
linmarnic
Club Player

Re: "Strength Through Loyalty"

saintwill66 wrote:In the aftermath of Ross Lyon's treachery it is interesting to reflect on his assertion that not once in his time at St Kilda did he implore his players to consider loyalty to either each other particularly or the team in general.

That tells me that he was never really truly committed to his club because the club's motto "Fortius Quo Fidelius" has been the ethos of our beloved team since its foundation over 100 years ago. It goes some way to explaining why he deserted the club so impassively, and as far as I am concerned Fremantle (the graveyard of coaches) are welcome to him because he is never going to be a premiership coach.

I have always wondered why he showed so little emotion during a game - it is obvious now that for Ross Lyon coaching is a job like being a senior bureaucrat or company CEO. He failed to understand that football clubs consist of young elite athletes who are driven by passion to become the best they can be on the fields of play, to conquer their opponent(s) and claim the ultimate victory.

And to our new coach I would like to say this: show us your true feelings and impart these to your players in no uncertain terms. Tell us that you are part of this team and that you want to be there; acknowledge by example that passion and loyalty are infectious and essential to the success of the team. It is all very well to develop KPIs and employ other corporate jargon tools to bring the best out of the players and the team, but please, please demonstrate to the supporters that you are not just there for the money and link arms with the players after a stirring victory to belt out the team song!!
This reminds me of Clarko. He knocked back a 5 year deal from the Dees and may have also been contacted by Freo for big money. Despite being stuffed around by the Hawks all year finally re-signs no doubt for less money then offered by Dees and Freo. Has all the qualities we are after. Pity we ended up with a deceitful mercenary like Lyon.
I guess it is all about the St. Kilda journey but I guess you can't help but look at other clubs and ask why don't we get a bit of luck on and off the field like that.
Never mind I still believe it will all come together for us one day, maybe sooner than we all think. Lets give our full support to the club and team.

Never give up