St Kilda current situation, in General: Yellow Alert?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

St Kilda current situation, in General: Yellow Alert?

This was originally a response to another post, but I thought I'd make a new thread with more of a holistic look at our current situation and future.

Misso's departure: Internally, bit of a worry. Supposed to be AFL leader in conditioning and player manangement. Definitely had a positive effect and our players have never been in better condition. Bit annoyed about his book release but he seemed like a key reason we were doing so well.

Berba's departure: Internally, no great shakes and inevitable. As said previously, any new coach would bring in their own assistants, this year's assistants not anything special.

Externally, both losses with Ross are a PR nightmare. Looks really bad, everyone jumping off, despite the reality. The club must put on a strong and positive front here or it will create a suckhole of negativity and fear. It must also be realistic and credible, not just ignoring the setbacks, but acknowledging them and dealing with them positively.

Seems like a real schism has developed between the board and the football dept. Could this be the Pelchen effect, the Seaford effect, the money effect, the culmination of a bad year, or just that the board are not giving anyone in the club real confidence?

I wouldn't say I'm getting on the Barks4Eva ticket but questions have to be asked of this organisation. The toxic Thomas/Butterrs soap-opera aside, things did seem a bit more positive under the previous administration, (although they did make a few mistakes, chiefly appointing Archie Fraser and they did have Brian Waldron in there, so...)

I really don't know, but something smells off here. There needs to be a lot of good news coming out in the next few weeks. Major Sponsor and Senior Coach would be a nice start. New Fitness team perhaps.

3+ of the Football staff's exit (including the 2 most important positions) a few months after Pelchen's appointment can be looked on as a mere coincidence, but I'm not sure. Reeks of noses being put out of joint. Got a feeling we're gonna see a lot of delistings/attemped trades too. Got no inside info, but just from reading, you get the feeling that not many people are excited about working with the new guy.

As far as the location goes, I would have liked them to stay in Glen Waverley/Moorabbin, I would have liked them to keep their deal in Tassie, I would have loved it for them to move back to St Kilda. Yeah I know it was impossible, but at least the Butterss crew seemed to capture the imagination of the Brighton elites and give them something to get behind. Seaford is a whole different social set. Sorry Seaford people, but I can't remember getting too excited about the place when I was in Victoria. What's that old saying? "When you've been to Paris, you can't go back to the farm"?

Those who are saying "it's their jobs, they should harden up" are making the mistake of imagining that the players are obliged to stay at St Kilda. We need to provide reasons for them to want to stay. Success is a reason. Club history and culture is a reason. Attractive working environment is a reason. Money is a reason. Good times and continuity are reasons. What does Seaford offer, as opposed to Blacktown NSW or Southport QLD? It must be a bit dreary down there for the young players, and work or not, environment is a big part of morale. I can remember most of the jobs I've had, and the shittier the workplace, the lower the morale would be. The facilities are reportedly better, but the place has no history and soul yet, like the Docklands. It will get better and in 5 years, who knows, we may start seeing the benefits. If I was into starting a hospitality business, I'd be starting up a cafe restaurant down there in Seaford, seems like you'd get some instant clients!

Stay cool, Saints fans. We need to stick together right now to prevent our club from entering the red zone.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: St Kilda current situation, in General: Yellow Alert?

Austinnn wrote: As far as the location goes, I would have liked them to stay in Glen Waverley/Moorabbin, I would have liked them to keep their deal in Tassie, I would have loved it for them to move back to St Kilda. Yeah I know it was impossible, but at least the Butterss crew seemed to capture the imagination of the Brighton elites and give them something to get behind. Seaford is a whole different social set. Sorry Seaford people, but I can't remember getting too excited about the place when I was in Victoria. What's that old saying? "When you've been to Paris, you can't go back to the farm"?
Agreed, a move back to St Kilda would have been ideal, but how realistic was it? Archie Fraser and Butterss had big plans for Moorabin but fell out with the council (over a miserable three poker machines) and then had their eyes on Casey. No better than Seaford IMO.

Frankston Council made the Seaford deal too good to refuse. Unfortunately the Saints just don't have the money to go where they like. We're getting bent over something shocking by the Etihad deal and the AFL isn't helping. The Bulldogs and North are suffering, too, but they're taking big handouts. For some reason (self-determination?) St Kilda isn't accepting handouts at this stage.

wolfpup
Club Player

i thought moving to port melbourne was on the cards as well, sharing with the burroughs and also including a large cash injection from the government. not sure how far that went

would have been handy as there are a lot of the lads living around port, see them all the time

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Austinnn wrote: As far as the location goes, I would have liked them to stay in Glen Waverley/Moorabbin, I would have liked them to keep their deal in Tassie, I would have loved it for them to move back to St Kilda. Yeah I know it was impossible, but at least the Butterss crew seemed to capture the imagination of the Brighton elites and give them something to get behind. Seaford is a whole different social set. Sorry Seaford people, but I can't remember getting too excited about the place when I was in Victoria. What's that old saying? "When you've been to Paris, you can't go back to the farm"?
Agreed, a move back to St Kilda would have been ideal, but how realistic was it? Archie Fraser and Butterss had big plans for Moorabin but fell out with the council (over a miserable three poker machines) and then had their eyes on Casey. No better than Seaford IMO.

Frankston Council made the Seaford deal too good to refuse. Unfortunately the Saints just don't have the money to go where they like. We're getting bent over something shocking by the Etihad deal and the AFL isn't helping. The Bulldogs and North are suffering, too, but they're taking big handouts. For some reason (self-determination?) St Kilda isn't accepting handouts at this stage.
I still fail to get the location of training being a problem. More than half the list now live within 15 minutes of Seaford and within probably 4 years 95% of players will live within a small drive from Seaford. There is nothing wrong with a suburb like Mentone and then you are a 15 minute drive to the ground. Or you could go down to Mt Martha and be about the same distance away. Both nice areas to live. You could even be in Wheelers Hill and be only 15 minutes away. No one watches training these days so it shouldnt worry supporters. And remember when we moved into Moorabbing a lot of that area was market garden area. Things do change.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I'm being overly positive here, but isn't it worthwhile to remember that what we had in place over the past 4 years didn't work?

It failed.

It came close, but wasn't good enough. So why the freak out about losing people that were involved up to their necks in that failure?

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

[quote="Austinnn"]Seaford is a whole different social set. Sorry Seaford people, but I can't remember getting too excited about the place when I was in Victoria. What's that old saying? "When you've been to Paris, you can't go back to the farm"? [quote]

I find this offensive on so many levels - Yes I agree the area had a bad wrap going back 10-15 years as did suburbs like Parkdale, Aspendale, Mordialloc and those suburbs are now high priced, this is the last suburb to have resonable house prices near the water ( we are less then 500mtrs away)

Whilst I won't go around saying what our net income is to shatter your bubble we live in the bracket of top 5% earners in the country ( and I drive a shiney new German FWD) - all of our friends who are local are professionals who own multiple properties.

The demographic is changing dramatically and frankly I saw more nuffies when we lived in Sandringham!

Yes I took it personally and I don't apologise for the rant I am just over people having a dig when half of you have probably never been here or know it from it's past - and let me be clear the training ground is the arse end of Seaford - beach side is a whole other story!

kaos theory
Club Player

[quoteI wouldn't say I'm getting on the Barks4Eva ticket but questions have to be asked of this organisation. The toxic Thomas/Butterrs soap-opera aside, things did seem a bit more positive under the previous administration, [/quote]

You are kidding right?

- Hire Blight on big dollars, no process, sack in first yr and forced to pay out salary.
- Hire GT through sham process
- GT gets out of control and open fight between coach and pres
- Sack GT & go through another process, get RL (which was one good thing)
- Footy department run into the ground, 10+ soft tissue injuries per week
- Bungle the new training facility program with moorabbin and only left with cranboune as option.
- Archie Fraser/Brian Waldron issues

saintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:

I still fail to get the location of training being a problem. More than half the list now live within 15 minutes of Seaford and within probably 4 years 95% of players will live within a small drive from Seaford. There is nothing wrong with a suburb like Mentone and then you are a 15 minute drive to the ground. Or you could go down to Mt Martha and be about the same distance away. Both nice areas to live. You could even be in Wheelers Hill and be only 15 minutes away. No one watches training these days so it shouldnt worry supporters. And remember when we moved into Moorabbing a lot of that area was market garden area. Things do change.
I tend to agree with Plugger on this. And besides, the move has been made, we arn't going anywhere else anytime soon.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

On the issue of Seaford. I am of the opinion that "we have what we have" and there is nothing to be gained from rehashing that particular argument now. Fair comment regarding the Moorabbin debacle and damn straight it was ridiculous to lose all that potential over pokie machines! Seaford is (I'm informed) a good facility and is LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we had at Moorabbin, the point now is to MAKE IT WORK! that will require a certain amount of goodwill and flexibility on the part of the players and coaching staff.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintlee I agree!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:[quoteI wouldn't say I'm getting on the Barks4Eva ticket but questions have to be asked of this organisation. The toxic Thomas/Butterrs soap-opera aside, things did seem a bit more positive under the previous administration,
You are kidding right?

- Hire Blight on big dollars, no process, sack in first yr and forced to pay out salary.
- Hire GT through sham process
- GT gets out of control and open fight between coach and pres
- Sack GT & go through another process, get RL (which was one good thing)
- Footy department run into the ground, 10+ soft tissue injuries per week
- Bungle the new training facility program with moorabbin and only left with cranboune as option.
- Archie Fraser/Brian Waldron issues[/quote]

And as a club we were bold, ambitious with chest puffed out.

Quixote
SS Life Member

The Cats are based in Geelong.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

wolfpup wrote:i thought moving to port melbourne was on the cards as well,
From memory Port Melbourne were officially quoted as saying we were more likely to be training on the moon.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Austinnn
Club Player

Fair call you guys, no arguments there. Sorry for offence caused, Mrs SS. I'm sure you're very rich.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BONBEACH>>>>>>seaford. Club should of just set up at the Bonbeach Sharks, much better suburb. But we are stuck with Seaford and now it is going to have to work. I havent heard anything otherwise.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id call it brown alert

we are in the shite

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Maybe I'm being overly positive here, but isn't it worthwhile to remember that what we had in place over the past 4 years didn't work?

It failed.

It came close, but wasn't good enough. So why the freak out about losing people that were involved up to their necks in that failure?
it's the off season....need something to focus on...it's the dead part of the year....it'll liven up come trade week and if we scoop a couple of gumbies the
place will go ballistic....can't wait actually..... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Forget the Seaford stuff. Unfortunately, it's behind us now, or for another day.

If the management was doing it's job, we wouldn't be experiencing the drama and the bad publicity that we are today!

My concern is that if this is what we are getting today, nothing much will change unless we get more professional management! The Board are responsible for that and if the Board members had any respect for themselves, they would be making some positive changes - a poor effort from people such as Ian McLeod, the MD of Coles, Peter Summers, the CEO of AV Jennings, to name a couple of Directors.

The supporters want you to at least deliver a stable Club. We can hang on for the Premierships!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote: We can hang on for the Premierships!
A long wait they can deliver

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:Fair call you guys, no arguments there. Sorry for offence caused, Mrs SS. I'm sure you're very rich.
If I was rich I would be living in my penthouse apartment on Beach Rd in Sandringham - maybe when the kids move out :wink:

jaxons
Club Player

It's funny to think how bad Archie Fraser was, and let's be frank here, you could not get worse, Waldron before him was also terrible, now Nettlefold appears useless as well.
Any danger of getting a great CEO to run our football club?
If the stories are right it is a well paid job!!

philtee
Club Player