Rose Coloured Glasses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Rose Coloured Glasses

For all the (supposed) Saints fans here who dont believe we have salary cap issues and think that all journalists just make sh1t up, take off your rose coloured glasses FFS.

The sooner you all do this and accept that there will be changes next year and we may well be without one or two big names as a result of trading to reduce salary cap pressure, then the sooner we can ALL move on and support the club and its players (whoever they may be) in a manner in which they deserve.

Whilst I agree that some journos are knobs and some cant spell properly most of their articles are generally not far off the mark.

And for those who will invariably abuse the board and administration for getting us into the situation where we have had to trade as a result of salary cap pressure, it's all part of the cyclical change that is inevitable after a sustained period of success and not the making of the club's management.

Join with me in being excited about impending change at the club and the exciting new period which will no doubt follow, for we all know that the only constant in life is change. Dont resist it, EMBRACE it!!

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Rose Coloured Glasses

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:For all the (supposed) Saints fans here who dont believe we have salary cap issues and think that all journalists just make sh1t up, take off your rose coloured glasses FFS.

The sooner you all do this and accept that there will be changes next year and we may well be without one or two big names as a result of trading to reduce salary cap pressure, then the sooner we can ALL move on and support the club and its players (whoever they may be) in a manner in which they deserve.

Whilst I agree that some journos are knobs and some cant spell properly most of their articles are generally not far off the mark.

And for those who will invariably abuse the board and administration for getting us into the situation where we have had to trade as a result of salary cap pressure, it's all part of the cyclical change that is inevitable after a sustained period of success and not the making of the club's management.

Join with me in being excited about impending change at the club and the exciting new period which will no doubt follow, for we all know that the only constant in life is change. Dont resist it, EMBRACE it!!
im not looking though any glasses but as i have said in other posts after 4yrs of finals i have no doubt the cap it tight but the same can be said for 80% Clubs

and yet i will quote Pelchen in today's paper

"I wouldn't say that we're over the cap - that would be wrong. Basically our cap is in a strained position, that's a fair assumption to make, but at the same time, we're not over the cap. We'll be under the cap in 2012. All we're trying to do is manage it in a professional manner."

So as it stands right now we will be under the cap next year

So if taking what the list manger says as the truth then put me down as a mark

End Of An Era
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:For all the (supposed) Saints fans here who dont believe we have salary cap issues and think that all journalists just make sh1t up, take off your rose coloured glasses FFS.

Are you NeXus_Helen??? :shock: :lol:
I couldn't have said it better myself. :shock: :shock:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Excellent post.

I keep going back to Plugger leaving & thinking that it was the end of the world.

No one wants to lose a great player to another club. I have great faith in Chris Pelchen to deliver a positive result to the club if that does eventuate.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Let me get this straight...

Apparently, we are over a non-existent salary cap?

Do people not realise there is no salary cap as yet, as the AFL have not set one due to the AFL and AFLPA not coming to an agreement yet.

It's suckers like you who the media love.

They walk amongst us...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

HSVKing wrote:Let me get this straight...

Do people not realise there is no salary cap as yet, as the AFL have not set one due to the AFL and AFLPA not coming to an agreement yet.

I think the AFL have let all clubs know what the cap will be... it'll be released to the media sometime today.

It's been confirmed by Pelchen that the cap is tight & "There will be changes to the list... they won't be reactionary but there will be changes to the list this week"- quoted directly from audio of CP on SEN as I type!

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:

I think the AFL have let all clubs know what the cap will be... it'll be released to the media sometime today.

It's been confirmed by Pelchen that the cap is tight & "There will be changes to the list... they won't be reactionary but there will be changes to the list this week"- quoted directly from audio of CP on SEN as I type!
I can understand that. But it's the media who are running these "Saints are $500k over the cap" etc crap stories. They would know nothing.

Everyone needs to stop believing the stories they write. Until there is an 'announcement' it is all speculation, and nothing more.

They walk amongst us...

Buckets
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote:

Clubs will be told today what the Cap is. So at the moment there is technically no salary cap.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Chris Pelchen, Head of Football on Trade Week Radio "I wouldn’t say that we are over the cap, that would be wrong."

https://www.facebook.com/stkfc

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no......and...of course journos make things up.....

...me i couldn't wait to see plugger, hall and spider retire...hated seeing them playing in the enemy's colours.....same for ball now....don't want to see another star saints player play against the saints as long as i live actually...seen too many already......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

...me i couldn't wait to see plugger, hall and spider retire...hated seeing them playing in the enemy's colours.....same for ball now....don't want to see another star saints player play against the saints as long as i live actually...seen too many already......
Could be worse, you could barrack for Melbourne!! :lol:

I got so angry at Ch10 throughout the year with their band of serial Saints haters. I don't get angry at the papers, they are just reporting on what they've heard, and speculating to sell a paper.

We are under some sort of salary cap pressure as we need to adjust things and are being investigated by the AFL. Doesn't mean we are going to lose all our draft picks (hello Carlton), but honestly, do we expect them NOT to write about it? Footy is number 1 in Melbourne and any news is good news.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

You're spot on mate... I think the original point was that in all likelyhood (as backed up by Pelchen himself) changes will be made due to issues with the cap. Whether that is Dawson, Ray, Gilbert or one of the top liners we'll find out sometime this week.

As disappointing as losing someone will be, the club will go on, we'll still sign up & eventually we'll have another crack at the holy grail.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Could be worse, you could barrack for Melbourne!! :lol:
that's a fate that only just escaped me.....my dad played for the dees....and the picture i have of my first birthday party shows me in a dees jumper...lovingly knitted for me by my mum...fortunately...or unfortunately.....dad joined the saints cricket club....and his membership got him into games at the junction oval..took us all along...........no one else was really an option for me but my brother...who is older is still a dees supporter....

..my earliest memories are of players like peter bennett, keith drinan...brian gleeson, paul todd and the late but great les foote....plus many many more....

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Someone talked about being shattered when Plugger left.
I just didn't believe it.
Couldn't believe it.
Until it was official, and he was presented in a Swans jumper.
It's a team game, but he was my hero till then.
And then, honestly, a little part of me died that day.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Someone talked about being shattered when Plugger left.
Couldn't believe it.

as it did for me when big carl left under the ten year rule...and ian stewart was traded for reason i won't go into.....or russell green given away for two used frangas....hurt by the s*** decision on big val perovic as well....

...but ditterich and plugger were the two that hurt the most...like losing family actually..... :cry:

too many given away for nothing....that has to change....

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

markinUSA wrote:Someone talked about being shattered when Plugger left.
Couldn't believe it.
+1 :cry:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Err...Just a qusetion, Why aren't GEELONG in this sort of strife :?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Or the Filth for that matter?

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:Err...Just a qusetion, Why aren't GEELONG in this sort of strife :?
Because they let one G Ablett go to GWS thus freeing up plenty of $$$$

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Err...Just a qusetion, Why aren't GEELONG in this sort of strife :?
And in 2009?

And in 2010?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the thread. Next year will be bad and the next 5 will be IMO.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:
And in 2009?

And in 2010?
It was well reported that all their players signed on for less than market value contracts so they could all stay together.

sainter35
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:
And in 2009?

And in 2010?
It was well reported that all their players signed on for less than market value contracts so they could all stay together.
And our players haven't?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

tweedaletomanning wrote:
And in 2009?

And in 2010?
they also lost Mumford
they also introduce first year players that hold down a regular spot

Seeya