Summary of our Trade week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Summary of our Trade week

GAINED: Terry Milera, Ahmed Saad, Pick 25, Pick 35, Pick 37, Pick 68
LOST: Tom Lynch, Tommy Walsh, Pick 20

THE TRADES:

TRADE: Terry Milera (Port Magpies), Ahmed Saad (North Bullants) and pick (25) from GWS to St Kilda for pick 20

TRADE: Adelaide trade Ivan Maric to Richmond for pick No.37; the Crows then exchange pick No.37 to St Kilda for Tom Lynch

TRADE: Tommy Walsh goes to Sydney. The Swans give St Kilda picks 35 and 68.

hmmmmmmmm.....

Sainter for life.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Happy with the two new guys....could've been alot worse, got compensation for Walsh who was set on leaving by the sound of it.

Nee!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ripper!!

so we got a bunch of picks in a weak draft that GWS own anyway, free up no real capo space and lose a KPP prospect that had been in the bests for rserves numerous times this year but previous knob coach decided he shoudnt be played?

right on!! :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
saintlee
Club Player

Good trade week if you exclude the Walsh trade, not happy about that, but life goes on...

westy
Club Player

The club could still stuff-up the paperwork yet!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Saints94
SS Life Member

We did pretty good, Saad im really excited about :)

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

It's disappointing we lost Walsh but apart from that I'm happy. With all these draft picks gained get ready for a few shock but neccessary and inevitable delistings.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Hype....this is the word to describe Tommy Walsh.

He is unproven, untried, and may well turn out a dud!

Sainter for life.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Lost a couple of prospects, added a couple of prospects, added some draft picks.

At a guess I'd say the team went in looking for interest in mid-tier players for picks and didn't get it. Both players that were traded out were reported as requesting the move. That's probably not a bad thing.

Where's the salary cap relief going to come from? More interesting times ahead.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Lost a couple of prospects, added a couple of prospects, added some draft picks.

At a guess I'd say the team went in looking for interest in mid-tier players for picks and didn't get it. Both players that were traded out were reported as requesting the move. That's probably not a bad thing.

Delistings presumably....or maybe the salary cap issue isn't that bad?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Lost a couple of prospects, added a couple of prospects, added some draft picks.

Delistings presumably....or maybe the salary cap issue isn't that bad?
A couple of regulars at Sandringham could be shunted back onto the rookie list. I guess Clarke and Blake are still contenders for delisting, although I assume that Gardi, McQualter and Baker going would have freed up some space.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

When is the deadline for delistings?

I imagine Gamble & Polo might be nervous.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:With all these draft picks gained get ready for a few shock but neccessary and inevitable delistings.
yeah. we now have:

probably four picks there which are worth using, but we still only have two free spots on the list, so we'd have to cut the two worst players on the list. i can't see us cutting the third worst to use 60 in this draft.

most likely we move heyne down to the rookie list to free up one spot, which leaves us with one rookie spot free (i think), then we only have to delist one.

one other rookie question is archer. he's been a rookie for two years so his initial contract will be up. we'd either have to re-rookie him, promote him or cut him. i can't see him being promote in place of a player currently on the list, so probably re-rookie, as i wouldn't think pick 120 in this draft (second rookie pick) would be any better than him.

so using this plan we cut one player, take four national draft picks and three rookie draft picks (the last two of which are archer and heyne).

possible players for the cut: gamble, johnson, smith, cahill.

in context, with lynch and walsh gone, johnson and cahill have to be safe. that leaves gamble and smith. i'd give smith another year and assume that gamble's place is taken by some combination of them, stanley, siposs, saad and milera.

but all this assumes that we're fine with the salary cap. summary:

IN: Milera, Saad, pick 25, pick 35, pick 37, pick 42, rookie pick
OUT: Baker, Eddy, Gamble, Gardiner, Lynch, McQualter, Walsh, Heyne (to rookie)

six new players on the list doesn't sound too bad to me.
Last edited by bergholt on Mon 17 Oct 2011 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckysaint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:so using this plan we cut one player, take four national draft picks and three rookie draft picks (the last two of which are archer and heyne).
Since we received 68 in a trade, don't we have to use it? It would mean we would be using 6 picks in the ND.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:so using this plan we cut one player, take four national draft picks and three rookie draft picks (the last two of which are archer and heyne).
Since we received 68 in a trade, don't we have to use it? It would mean we would be using 6 picks in the ND.
i think that rule doesn't hold any more. richmond picked up 79, i don't think they'll use that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:ripper!!

so we got a bunch of picks in a weak draft that GWS own anyway, free up no real capo space and lose a KPP prospect that had been in the bests for rserves numerous times this year but previous knob coach decided he shoudnt be played?

right on!! :roll:
yep....that.s ball, lynch and tommy lost as a direct result of our late departed coach..... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.