St Kilda has appointed Terry Dillon from Hawthorn as COO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda has appointed Terry Dillon from Hawthorn as COO

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but just saw this grab at the bottom of an article in the Age today.

Is this a newly created position?

Meanwhile, St Kilda has appointed Terry Dillon from Hawthorn as its new chief operating officer

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z1b4ogYnz4

I didn't know much about him, other than he was Hawks COO, so he is a number cruncher?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Not sure if its same bloke but seems to be only Terry Dillon that comes up in a google search in Australia : http://au.linkedin.com/pub/terry-dillon/23/30b/b97

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

new position to my thinking..

but we had lost a couple in the finance over the last couple of years...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Marcus van Lint was the General. Mgr. Finance & Company Secretary for the past few years.

I wonder whether he has gone, or it's a new role?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

this list was adjusted just recently- with in days- as some new names in differant areas
http://www.saints.com.au/staff/tabid/5410/default.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

WANTED:
Person with previous experience in working with a calculator, to assist with St Kilda FC list/contract management.

Ross who?
Club Player

dragit wrote:WANTED:
Person with previous experience in working with a calculator, to assist with St Kilda FC list/contract management.
What will they do with the Abacus that they are using now :shock:

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Q5
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Marcus van Lint was the General. Mgr. Finance & Company Secretary for the past few years.

I wonder whether he has gone, or it's a new role?
I'd say same role, just with new title. COO tends to be responsible for the 'operations' of the org, namely finance...

Legendary
Club Player

Good appointment, we continue to build up some real strength in our executive team ...

COO basically runs the place whilst the CEO does all the meet and greet and marketing and PR side of things (which Nettlefold is better at).

Will give us someone with an eye for detail overseeing everything. Good get Saints.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Legendary contributed :
Good appointment, we continue to build up some real strength in our executive team ...
COO basically runs the place whilst the CEO does all the meet and greet and marketing and PR side of things (which Nettlefold is better at).
Will give us someone with an eye for detail overseeing everything. Good get Saints.
In financial terms, the horse has certainly bolted and there is no excuse for that. Let's hope that the new appointee can can slow down and stop the leakage. :roll:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

COO's have also been known to be toecutters...at least two at my work most certainly were

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Legendary contributed :
In financial terms, the horse has certainly bolted and there is no excuse for that. Let's hope that the new appointee can can slow down and stop the leakage. :roll:
Horse bolted when you bunch of sheeple ousted the most successful admin in financial terms in the clubs history.

I warned this would happen but was shouted down by the mindless majority who just wanted to SACK THE BOARD.

Well you reap what you sow. We are up the spout in debt (even after our most successful 4 year of the modern era), our SC means we will lose more players, we have no major sponsor, and we are looking at not competing for years.

Hope the frenzy of stupidity in putting in Westaway and his band of economic incompetents has been worth it :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St Lenny
Club Player

You know exactly what goes on behind the scenes do you Joffa? What a load of bollocks you talk.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I await the alternative ticket that Joffaboy and Barks are assembling for the imminent board spill! (register now for tickets to the AGM)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny if you know Barks and Joofaboy you'll know how daft a question that is :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:You know exactly what goes on behind the scenes do you Joffa? What a load of bollocks you talk.
I can read a Financial Statement, they are not "behind the scenes" but are published audited accounts.

Maybe get an education before you start spouting things you obviously have very little idea about.

Facts are, this Admin has sent the club broke after Butterss and his Admin had a sustained period of financial success.

Even someone as ignorant as yourself must be able to see these simple facts :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I await the alternative ticket that Joffaboy and Barks are assembling for the imminent board spill! (register now for tickets to the AGM)
Want nothing to do with the board. I am not going near their finances with a ten foot pole.

The place is a shambles, brought about by the numpties and financial ignoramouses who couldn't wait to oust Butterss and his admin (the admin BTW that resuced the club from financial ruin).

I am not going to clean up someone elses absolute mess.

However if there was an alternative, someone with the financial nous and expertise as we had under the Butterss admin, I would be voting for them in a shot.

This admin has let us down badly, farked our finances, lost a coach, lost major sponsors and have totally put us back to the dark days of the 90's.

good on you, you lot of financial numpties.

Dont cry now because the joint is broke its your own doing.

Lance or James??

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Given the broad nature of a COO's role, the appointment reads like succession planning to me.

And, I'll wait until the annual reports come out before I condemn the financial management. Even then, the new AFL distribution model will need to be considered before our impending demise is assumed.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa, I'm confused...

Is this the same administration we are talking about that got the club back into surplus by running a footy department off the smell of an oily rag? Who had the second-lowest spend on recruitment in the league? Who, when they finally realised trouble was brewing in 2007, added $400kpa to the medical and conditioning budget?

Would the club still have been in surplus under this new direction from Butterss? The money couldn't come from revenue because at $21M in 2006 it was the lowest in the AFL!

The club has announced an expected $2M loss this year. If last year's report is to be believed there was a $7.3M surplus which means the club this year will have a $5.3M surplus. Or has this year's report already come out, and I missed something?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Given the broad nature of a COO's role, the appointment reads like succession planning to me.

And, I'll wait until the annual reports come out before I condemn the financial management. Even then, the new AFL distribution model will need to be considered before our impending demise is assumed.
So could he be the one to take Nettlefold's job perhaps???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Given the broad nature of a COO's role, the appointment reads like succession planning to me.

So could he be the one to take Nettlefold's job perhaps???
Any well run business will have succession plans for key roles. Just reads like sound management to me, with an eye to the future.

I reckon the board will have had succession on their routine agenda. Nettlefold will have made a recommendation to the board on how it should be addressed. It looks like he has looked internally, come up short and recommended to the board the creation of a logical stepping stone position of COO. Then they've head hunted the coot to fill it. Or, they advertised and sorted through the applicants.

Alternatively, they may have identified who they wanted and created the position to attract that person.

Just normal business.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

That's not what I meant.

Has Westaway looked at this bloke replacing Nettlefold in the near future, not, say, in a few years.

Either that, or Nettlefold may want out even??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I know what you meant. I just don't see it that way.

But, yes, Westaway may be looking to replace MN. Or, MN may want to go and do something else. More likely to be the latter than the former, I think, but that's just a guess.

Though it still just looks like normal management of a business to me.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:I know what you meant. I just don't see it that way.

But, yes, Westaway may be looking to replace MN. Or, MN may want to go and do something else. More likely to be the latter than the former, I think, but that's just a guess.

Though it still just looks like normal management of a business to me.
Since this board have come in they have been consistent in trying to implement best practice in how the business side of the club is run, part of this was restructuring the board and corporate governance to bring it up to date with modern practice (like term limits ect, staggering the changes of board makeup ect.) modernising the constitution ect. now the are focusing on the management at the club and bringing it more in line with modern stuctures.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I await the alternative ticket that Joffaboy and Barks are assembling for the imminent board spill! (register now for tickets to the AGM)
Want nothing to do with the board. I am not going near their finances with a ten foot pole.

The place is a shambles, brought about by the numpties and financial ignoramouses who couldn't wait to oust Butterss and his admin (the admin BTW that resuced the club from financial ruin).

I am not going to clean up someone elses absolute mess.

However if there was an alternative, someone with the financial nous and expertise as we had under the Butterss admin, I would be voting for them in a shot.

This admin has let us down badly, farked our finances, lost a coach, lost major sponsors and have totally put us back to the dark days of the 90's.

good on you, you lot of financial numpties.

Dont cry now because the joint is broke its your own doing.
I thought they just appointed a coach...has he walked??

Oh...you mean lyin Lyon!! Maybe if he didn't adopt such a boring style and such a defensive game plan, the membership would've been steady or up on last year, the Saints fans and neutral footy fans would flock to the footy, and the sponsors wouldn't have deserted in droves...Did you ever think of that genius?? What about the excitement for members with a new year and new youngsters coming into the team...How excited do you think members were when we learnt he recruited Pattison one year and Polo the next??

Don't talk about going back to dark days, when you still refer to that bloke that; you obviously think was singlehandedly the biggest influence on this core group getting to the last two GF's. As head coach was he bringing in quality youngsters to replace Roo and Lenny and Chips and Dal and provide future leaders and captains for our footy club? Do you see the big picture JB or are you short-sighted and just plain backward?