The old days at Saintsational

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:The first site I found about the Saints was I think 'Back to Moorabbin'. It was probably more a blog. Must have been about 1998/99.

Seem to remember another site that had 'chat', but I didn't get involved. Can't remember when I first saw Saintsational, but it was well before 2004 when the 'Crash' happened, and we all had to re-register.

Whenever I see a post with terrible spelling I think of Spelly. Stinger, Loris and Dan Warna were there way back. I miss Rogerwa....and where's Firthy gone?

do you remember "jars'...what a prick.....i got back at him big time...had his adelaide site closed down.....in those days it was all in...anything went.....especially towards f*** wits like jar....yeah i was there.....as loris said..we all had a few nicks in those days.....and you could actually sign in using someone else's nick...hence my unusual posting style....i wanted to make it difficult to copy as someone was using my nick....stinger was my dark side..... used that nick to get rid of trolls...... it (he)eventually consumed the good me.... :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted: 8-) ..morefun that way though... 8-) :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

What about "Paulie"................... gee he was the original 'glass half empty' poster..................must have been hit around the head with a misery stick when he was a babe :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:What about "Paulie"................... gee he was the original 'glass half empty' poster..................must have been hit around the head with a misery stick when he was a babe :wink:
ah the memories loris......you dropped the wa at some point....where have the years gone......must have wasted one or two here unfortunately.....good fun in them olden days...and fewer really nasty pricks than we have now unfortunately.....still ...we are all sainters...or at least most of us are.... :wink: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas was prolific and met him and his dad a few times at the footy.

Disappeared some time back.

kalsaint was another that has gone by the wayside and of course riccardo.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:barks...rave on for 20 pages??
serious?? :shock:

friggin no way!
that woulda been great to see.

8-)
"Is Grant Thomas a sacred cow?" is an all time classic SS thread. Went at least twenty pages.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

you know

id prob read the bastard lol

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger I can remember the barney I had with you over Spider............ I called him a cancer in the club and should be got rid of. You gobbled me up and spat me out in lots of little pieces. Though I did take on the sentiments behind what you had said. I might have been ahead of the mob in calling for Spider to be out of the club, but I wasn't showing much loyalty to a player whilst he was still playing for us.

It all happened the year one of those Scott twins threw Lenny into the fence & broke his arm/wrist. Spider was reported the same match. To all intents the club were not jumping up and down about Lenny's treatment as it appeared they didn't want to upset Spider's appearance at the tribunal. Or so I thought

I had steam coming out of my ears, after a few days. I sent and e-mail to GT, telling him how disappointed I was that the club was showing no respect for Lenny by not going in to bat for him and I wouldn't blame Lenny if he didn't re-sign when his contract was finished. I also said to him Spider was a cancer in the club....gee it's embarassing now that I come to think of it. :oops: GT e-mailed me the following day. He outlined all the behind the scenes efforts the club had gone to on Lenny's behalf, but told me it wasn't for SS site info. And said on the other matter I raised, things would work their way out and I might be pleased with the outcome. I knew then Spider would be gone at the end of the season.

So then I tried getting to be more friendly with you stinger................ i didn't want to be chewed up by you again. :wink: :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote: What bout that looney Kenny?...
You mean that Scottish drunkard twat St.Kunny dont you? :wink:
lol yer thats him...what a feral!

Liked Pooch...many didnt...but he was different...

“Yeah….nah””
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I might be wrong but ...

Doc Hollywood = Holly Valance = SENsational?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Personally I miss that AwayInUSA fellow. His 30 page analysis of everything St Kilda put everyone to sleep when he was posting in the last century.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Harvey desciple? - didnt he turn into a journo?

no wonder he went awol...

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Seemed like a good forum back then, what happened to all of you. Turned feral or something? :lol:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Also, does anybody know what happened to a poster called "The Walrus"?

The Saints are coming!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I actually have a theory on why the forum turned feral.

In the early days of the forum Tim Watson had just taken over and to be honest we were pretty much all of a like mind - coming off heartbreaking defeat in 97 and a rollercoaster dud of a year in 98. What then transpired over the next 2 years was almost a return to the 70s and 80s mentality where we all had to stick together and stay true even in the bad times.

With the Malcolm Blight blow up - we were back to square one.

When GT came along slowly but surely he raised our expectations and for the first time we were saying it was seen as premierships and even 2nd was failure. The higher the expectation became, the more individual players were targeted for criticism and the more arguments started to generate and quickly turn personal.

It was during the 2005/6/7 era that this degeneration of respect for other posters (their opinions and their personal feelings) accelerated that there soon became the absolute need for unofficial and then official moderation and rules. It was the development in that era of an expectation of success that generated bitter disappointment and plain bitterness as fans became unable to cope with failure and lashed out at coach, players and other fans as their coping mechanism.

Can you believe that pre that era - there were no forum rules, there were no moderators, disputes were self mostly moderated or diffused with humour.

Bottomline is I think getting so close to the success that we all so crave, actually ignited a passion that helped destroy a comradery built from decades of coping with failure which was replaced with coping with being so close to success year after year and yet still failing by lashing out.

loris
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I actually have a theory on why the forum turned feral.

In the early days of the forum Tim Watson had just taken over and to be honest we were pretty much all of a like mind - coming off heartbreaking defeat in 97 and a rollercoaster dud of a year in 98. What then transpired over the next 2 years was almost a return to the 70s and 80s mentality where we all had to stick together and stay true even in the bad times.

With the Malcolm Blight blow up - we were back to square one.

When GT came along slowly but surely he raised our expectations and for the first time we were saying it was seen as premierships and even 2nd was failure. The higher the expectation became, the more individual players were targeted for criticism and the more arguments started to generate and quickly turn personal.

It was during the 2005/6/7 era that this degeneration of respect for other posters (their opinions and their personal feelings) accelerated that there soon became the absolute need for unofficial and then official moderation and rules. It was the development in that era of an expectation of success that generated bitter disappointment and plain bitterness as fans became unable to cope with failure and lashed out at coach, players and other fans as their coping mechanism.

Can you believe that pre that era - there were no forum rules, there were no moderators, disputes were self mostly moderated or diffused with humour.

Bottomline is I think getting so close to the success that we all so crave, actually ignited a passion that helped destroy a comradery built from decades of coping with failure which was replaced with coping with being so close to success year after year and yet still failing by lashing out.

Very perceptive ........................ now that is a post I would expect to read from "AwayInUSA" :wink: :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote: ...and where's Firthy gone?
He's sending them down at Wanneroo Bowling Club............. El Presidento I hear...................... and no doubt he's still putting them down, the frothy ones :lol:

Actually bumped into him at the Saints match at Subi this year........... he still looks at site, but rarely posts which is sad........ he always had a quirky point to make.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Verdun66 wrote: ...and where's Firthy gone?
He's sending them down at Wanneroo Bowling Club............. El Presidento I hear...................... and no doubt he's still putting them down, the frothy ones :lol:

Actually bumped into him at the Saints match at Subi this year........... he still looks at site, but rarely posts which is sad........ he always had a quirky point to make.
Seem to remember some feral poster going after him at every opportunity. I could never work out why. His posts were always humorous.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

battye wrote:I remember talking with saintbrat, noddy and a few other people on the old Saints chat on saints.com.au. saintbrat could probably say for sure, but I think it was around 2002 or 2003? In fact, I think Grant Thomas used to drop by off his own accord every now and then which was fantastic.
Yes it was about that time, or earlier. Was that the site with Jeff Dunne, Sicko Boy, George, Spelly, Austinn's Honey, Prince, Da Man.......... :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
james rose
Club Player

loris wrote:
james rose wrote:Spelly.
JR....I can recall when you came on as a youngster and proudly told us of the birth of your sibling.....you were such a proud brother :P
I would have been 15 then. 9 years ago. Still proud today.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
matrix wrote:barks...rave on for 20 pages??
serious?? :shock:

friggin no way!
that woulda been great to see.

8-)
"Is Grant Thomas a sacred cow?" is an all time classic SS thread. Went at least twenty pages.
The "Sacred Cow" thread was about barks4eva and all those who wanted him BANNED from the forum after yet another lengthy rant !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I might be wrong but ...

Doc Hollywood = Holly Valance = SENsaintsational?
Very perceptive of you!! I loved Holly. I often think about going back to her. What a stunner and doing quite well in the UK as we speak.

Doc got himself into trouble at one point and required witness protection. :lol:

I met Noddy in Adelaide once and also Eastern at the Dome in Melbourne....both were disappointed that Holly didn't meet their expectations!!!

Fun times. 8-)

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Time to shine,Kalsaint ...some old names that had slipped out of the grey matter..and Riccardo...there is a Riccardo that rings up SEN every now and then ..wonder is it our Riccardo ?? Still miss Moose ..always had something worth reading ! Glad this thread has stirred up a few memories...amazing how many years have slipped past and the sad reality is though we have gone so close that bloody holy grail is still eluding us !!!!
ONEDAY PLEASE !!! :roll: :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

The SEN Ricardo is different to the Ricardo that posted on here.

From memory, Ricardo's brother still posts here?? Is it Hurricane?? Ricardo left here a few years ago for personal reasons.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote:ctqs
stood for close the quotes saints - we had 66 he wanted a flag in 99. Very clever as a nic back in those days

Teflon wrote:Cant remember the name of the guy that got banned cause everyone said he was negative all the time...????? (he wasnt a troll) felt like he was older but can never be sure....
poochy. Compared to the mentally ill NexXxus and his thousands of nic's he was logical and reasonable.

Yes loris Brian Collis - could tell it was an absolute pisstake, didn't know it was bungi.
I'm only guessing it was Bungi.......because he used to PM me when we were baiting a certain poster (naughty wasn't I), usually it was late Eastern states time(Bungi & I were in WA).......... up would pop Brian Collis posts and some of the comments were very similar to thoughts we had been having in our PM's) but he never actually told me he was the Collis poster...it was just me putting 1 & 1 together and coming up with Bungiton....... I could be way off the mark.

Also remember Doc Holliday........... did that poster morph into Holly Valance?
I very much doubt that Brian Collis was Bungi actually....BC had a nasty homophobic streak to him..and was banned primarily for constant snide attacks on an openly gay member of the Forum..that was very much not Bungi's style..an excellent wit who I also met that day against Carlton...had us all in stitches

Duggie was a relative of semi-regular poster maxstar22....and a more devoted Sainter you would not have wanted to find from all reports

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup maxie came on a while back and gave us the sad news