We will finish top 4 in 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

We will finish top 4 in 2012

Here's my case:

We finished 6th on the ladder this year. So it is no coincidence that of all the other sides in the comp, I believe there are only 5 sides who deserve more premiership favoritism going into next season - Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, West Coast.

West Coast we have covered, because while we can expect them to beat us in Perth, we should be able to do them in Melbourne, where the GF is played.

Carlton we've got an excellent record over in previous times, had the wood on them for a number of years before they finally belted us in '10, then last year we beat them in round 24 and were very unlucky not to beat twice. We can take them.

Hawthorn are a small step in front of Carlton, again a tough match up, but one we are entirely capable of.

This leaves only Geelong and Collingwood, who are, IMHO, the only two sides in the comp we can go into a match against reasonably expecting to lose.

I'm confident we will improve noticeably next year after the fall of this year. New coach, fresh gameplan, more enthusiasm etc. Of the teams that finished roughly equal with us this year (Sydney, Essendon, North, Freo), I can't see any of them overtaking us if we play to our full potential. With all of the winning we've been doing in the last few years, it's left us in a position whee we genuinely don't fear anyone and know we can beat anyone. That reputation and winning aura that this team has is something we can actually thank Ross Lyon for. Under him, we became a side that knows it can always win, and that won't leave the group.

Seriously, look at the final ladder from last season http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ladder and tell me if you think we can't cover every side below us next year.

Of course, there will probably be a bolter from the lower half, but there may also be a big fall from a top 4-5 team. 2011 was a year where evrything went wrong for us, both on and off the field, so I'm left to conclude that we can only get better next year, and getting better from 6th leaves us in the top 4.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we have some injury and recruiting luck I think you should be on the money. Geelong has lost some core players, Figjam might bust some balls and egos at collingwood. The rest are pretty similar. The bolter should be freo, Lyon will have better luck with injuries and if dawson goes they will be a stronger unit with better options up front. Hawks would go close to favourite for mine, settled strong team with limited upsets at this stage.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't think we will lose a game for the year.

Honestly :wink:

8856brother wrote:I honestly don't think we will lose a game for the year.

Honestly :wink:

I honestly think you are correct :D

I love this club
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

wouldnt surprise me if we finish top 4

or

bottom 4

I think we would be the hardest team to place......

if ross was still coach - 6-10 but now who knows

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:wouldnt surprise me if we finish top 4

or

bottom 4

spot on.

Very hard to pick. Our core group will be 6 months older as at Round 1. That is fact. Can't discount the ageing process and how it may slow down those stars!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
howquajacko

I don't think I have been more eagerly awaiting a season so early so yes we can make top 4!
Just wrapped in the change of direction!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:wouldnt surprise me if we finish top 4

or

bottom 4

spot on.

Id possibly lean more to the negative for our chances next year:

new coach
new game plan
new assistants
older core
Big gap mid age bracket

Lot has to go right for top 4..

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Finish around 10th. Wont make the finals. Era has finished.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
matrix
Saintsational Legend

5th or 6th i reckon

battye
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we will be somewhere in the middle again, so around 6-10th. Hopefully on the higher side...

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Top 3.

Great draw. Only have to play teams from the top 4 once this year.

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

Absolute rubbish that our list is too old.

Same top ages as the start of the Brisbane threepeat.

Same top ages at Port Adelaide when they won.

Same top age as Geelong in 2 of their past 3 premierships.

Premierships are won with the best players aged 27 to 32 and a great spread of talented youngsters supporting them ... which we are starting to build withMcEvoy, Steven, Armitage and in my opinion Ledger, Cripps and Siposs.

We have 2 great years ahead of us if our list stays healthy.

All we have lost is Walsh and Lynch - I am sad about Walsh but his zero games in 2 years hardly leaves a hole to fill immediately.

An Zac may go? So what? Blake in my opinion is a far better option at full back and has a season or 2 left in him.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
james rose
Club Player

I just put $10 on us for the flag.

Nikky Rixon
Club Player

We will just make 8 or just miss out , Sydney and Essendon will improve outta sight next year , WE NEED A FORWARD WHO DOESNT MISS EASY SET SHOTS . If Nick riewoldt starts this easy missing set shots BULLDANG that he dishes up yr after yr , WATTERS use your brain play him off the bench as a back up ruckmen , GET FEVOLA NOW

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Top 3.

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

Premierships are won with the best players aged 27 to 32 and a great spread of talented youngsters supporting them ... which we are starting to build withMcEvoy, Steven, Armitage and in my opinion Ledger, Cripps and Siposs.

All we have lost is Walsh and Lynch - I am sad about Walsh but his zero games in 2 years hardly leaves a hole to fill immediately.

An Zac may go? So what? Blake in my opinion is a far better option at full back and has a season or 2 left in him.
Your the only one talking any sense.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

Your the only one talking any sense.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood, Geelong & Hawthorn the 3 standouts next year. Hawks unlucky to not have played in GF this year - they had a few injuries throughout 2011 as well - put Roughhead back in that team and they are genuine flag contender.

As has been the case with St Kilda since the early 90's - our top half a dozen are very good.. but its our depth that is a problem. Frankly when you compare the 15th - 22nd players picked each week, and compare them to the top 3 clubs you can see why we are just off the pace. Having said that - our players intensity is probably the best in the league.

Carlton suffer from the same depth issues as us.. WC much more even across their list - and will be interesting to watch how their kids develop and if they can bridge the gap.

We have what appears to be a favourable draw.

To make top 4 we need:
* Rapid development from at least 2 kids (ie those in their 1st - 3rd years with the club) to step up and play every game
* Continued improvement in a couple of the developing players eg McEvoy, Armitage to step up into our top 10 (like Gwilt & Gilbert did in 2010)
* Nick has to eliminate the goal kicking yips - if he nails them, team morale will soar
* some luck with injuries (or lack thereof)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

You're the only one talking any sense.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Expecting 16 to 18 wins.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood, Geelong & Hawthorn the 3 standouts next year. Hawks unlucky to not have played in GF this year - they had a few injuries throughout 2011 as well - put Roughhead back in that team and they are genuine flag contender.

As has been the case with St Kilda since the early 90's - our top half a dozen are very good.. but its our depth that is a problem. Frankly when you compare the 15th - 22nd players picked each week, and compare them to the top 3 clubs you can see why we are just off the pace. Having said that - our players intensity is probably the best in the league.

Carlton suffer from the same depth issues as us.. WC much more even across their list - and will be interesting to watch how their kids develop and if they can bridge the gap.

We have what appears to be a favourable draw.

To make top 4 we need:
* Rapid development from at least 2 kids (ie those in their 1st - 3rd years with the club) to step up and play every game
* Continued improvement in a couple of the developing players eg McEvoy, Armitage to step up into our top 10 (like Gwilt & Gilbert did in 2010)
* Nick has to eliminate the goal kicking yips - if he nails them, team morale will soar
* some luck with injuries (or lack thereof)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
westy
Club Player

Well I reckon we will be the surprise packet next year much to a lot of peoples' disappointment. I also reckon that Hawthorn will slide south.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
gringo
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Well I reckon we will be the surprise packet next year much to a lot of peoples' disappointment. I also reckon that Hawthorn will slide south.
hawks had a good year as far as injuries go for them and soared if they get their injury curse back they will slide. Freo is primed for a tilt and lyon will take all the credit. Zac would be a disaster for us because they are a full back and injuries away from being a top 3 side at the moment.

Zac allows them to use Mc Phee or Mc farlin forward who are both very good kicks on goal. pav can be deep. morabito, barlow, etc will all be better and back from injury and they have a heap of developing youngsters. I hope Zac goes to GWS because we will substantially improve their chances otherwise.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 4. It's a certainty.

New coach and game plan can take 18 months to gel but we have got much bigger problems than gelling with a new coach and game plan. With the list we've got it's going to be a painful time at the bottom for some time. Roo is kidding himself if he thinks we can do what the Cats did this year under a new coach. The Cats list was way more talented and committed than ours. I could have coached them to the flag it was that good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
westy wrote:Well I reckon we will be the surprise packet next year much to a lot of peoples' disappointment. I also reckon that Hawthorn will slide south.
hawks had a good year as far as injuries go for them and soared if they get their injury curse back they will slide. Freo is primed for a tilt and lyon will take all the credit. Zac would be a disaster for us because they are a full back and injuries away from being a top 3 side at the moment.

Zac allows them to use Mc Phee or Mc farlin forward who are both very good kicks on goal. pav can be deep. morabito, barlow, etc will all be better and back from injury and they have a heap of developing youngsters. I hope Zac goes to GWS because we will substantially improve their chances otherwise.
Hawks probably had one of the worst run with injuries out of any top 8 side this year so they will not go backwards.