Like the sound of...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Like the sound of...

these lads;

Todd Elton (197cm forward - Dandenong)

Andrew Boseley (194cm defender - Geelong)

Sam Frost (193cm defender - Sandringham)

Myles Bolger (201cm ruckman - South Fremantle)

Jackson Merrett (187cm midfielder - Geelong)

Henry Schade (194cm defender - North Hobart)

Shane Nelson (178cm midfielder - West Perth)

Marley Williams (181cm midfielder - Claremont)

Julian Dobosz (193cm forward - North Hobart)

Jackson Paine (193cm forward - Sandringham)

Michael Talia (193cm defender - Calder)

Mitch Grigg (183cm midfielder - Norwood)

Josh Waldhuter (184cm midfielder - Central Districts)

Clay Smith (180cm midfielder - Gippsland)

Sam Kerridge (188cm midfielder - Bendigo)

Sebastian Ross (187cm midfielder - North Ballarat)

Fletcher Roberts (195cm forward - Sandringham)

Waylen Manson (191cm forward - Claremont/Kururrungku)

Jackson Coleman (196cm forward - Sandringham)

Rookies

Xavier Richards (194cm defender - Sandringham)

Lee Spurr (24yo 185cm midfielder - Central Districts)

Kyal Horsley (23yo 182cm midfielder - Subiaco)

John McKenzie (177cm midfielder - South Launceston)

saintsfreak
Club Player

Grigg to last till 42 and Manson to 60? Don't think so.

The Freak
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To early for Sam Frost IMO. I reckon we will take at least from Sandy though. Alex Woodward is high on our list apparently. Maybe the 37 pick.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we'll go Elton with our first selection if available

Talia with our next selection IMO

That covers both ends with Elton pinch hitting in the ruck

Then pick up a couple of mids with our next two seletions - Kerridge and Grigg would be my preferences from my limited knowledge

Then look at a couple of mature blokes (including Blake) with the last couple of picks

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintsfreak wrote:Grigg to last till 42 and Manson to 60? Don't think so.
Grigg could go anywhere from pick 15-50 IMO. His combine results will have a few recruiters second guessing themselves. He's a slow as a wet whistle.

Manson may not even get picked. He could be anything from Buddy Franklin to Jarrod Oakly-Nicholls. He's more of a gamble than the average bloke out there.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

You appear to have some of the order a bit mixed up, but otherwise there are some good names there.

Overpaying for any of Boseley, Frost or Merrett with first pick. Elton seems to keep getting linked to us, but I'd love someone to tell me WHY they want him?? Is it because some media experts have said we may get him, or cos you actually like the way he plays??

Personally, I am not sold. He had a very average year, but only really boosted his draft credentials with an awesome combine. He ran sub-3 second 20m sprint, which is awesome for a guy his size. Also did very well in the jumping test and beep, etc.

But, he lacks intensity and went backwards this year, which isn't a great sign. Personally I am crossing my fingers and toes that Kersten can slide to us. He is a really high-intensity forward, 191cm (a little short, but so what), could play next year and is a booming kick. The slight on him is his pace and athleticism. But give me the natural footballer any day.

People keep crying about why we didn't draft Darling. Well, Kersten is your man - same attributes and strengths, and even the same size.

I'm hoping we can pick up one of Schade, Talia or Boseley with our 2nd/3rd pick, along with one midfielder like Grigg or Waldhunter (unless we get a real surprise slider, like McKenzie). I'd also be keen for a ruckman with 42 - Bolger probably won't be around, but Downie might. If neither are there, get Ben Brown or Coleman late.
However, if we want Horsely, 42 is where we need to get him, because Collingwood is a lock for pick 50. I'd also be keen for us to pick up Blee - a mature aged backman who had a great year in the WAFL, playing full-back.

So my dream draft would be:

25: Shane Kersten
35: Michael Talia/Henry Schade
37: Mitch Grigg/ Brad McKenzie / Sam Kerridge
42: Bolger/ Downie or Horsely
60: Blee
72: Midfielder
76: Blake

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I am not holding my breath with kersten, I cant get my hopes up for a kid who will probably go to bloody Freo. BM, as has been said, some good players but wrong order.

McKenzie, Grigg, Kersten, Smith, Kavanagh or Haynes would be fantastic on our list if, and a big if they fall to our picks. I think we might get Downie, Im not sold on Bolger and Downie could be anything, plus will go later.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:You appear to have some of the order a bit mixed up, but otherwise there are some good names there.

Overpaying for any of Boseley, Frost or Merrett with first pick. Elton seems to keep getting linked to us, but I'd love someone to tell me WHY they want him?? Is it because some media experts have said we may get him, or cos you actually like the way he plays??

Personally, I am not sold. He had a very average year, but only really boosted his draft credentials with an awesome combine. He ran sub-3 second 20m sprint, which is awesome for a guy his size. Also did very well in the jumping test and beep, etc.

But, he lacks intensity and went backwards this year, which isn't a great sign. Personally I am crossing my fingers and toes that Kersten can slide to us. He is a really high-intensity forward, 191cm (a little short, but so what), could play next year and is a booming kick. The slight on him is his pace and athleticism. But give me the natural footballer any day.

People keep crying about why we didn't draft Darling. Well, Kersten is your man - same attributes and strengths, and even the same size.

I'm hoping we can pick up one of Schade, Talia or Boseley with our 2nd/3rd pick, along with one midfielder like Grigg or Waldhunter (unless we get a real surprise slider, like McKenzie). I'd also be keen for a ruckman with 42 - Bolger probably won't be around, but Downie might. If neither are there, get Ben Brown or Coleman late.
However, if we want Horsely, 42 is where we need to get him, because Collingwood is a lock for pick 50. I'd also be keen for us to pick up Blee - a mature aged backman who had a great year in the WAFL, playing full-back.

Emma Quayle knows her s*** and seems to think Elton is alright and a possible slider to our first selection.

He's a forward / pinch hitting ruckman and with Roo and Kosi in their final couple of years and Mac needing assistance in the middle he is exactly what we need.

Kerstan would be good however you'd think Freo would pick up the West Aussie plus he doesn't have the size or versatility to play in the ruck like Elton.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
thirty-seven!? wrote:You appear to have some of the order a bit mixed up, but otherwise there are some good names there.

Emma Quayle knows her s*** and seems to think Elton is alright and a possible slider to our first selection.

He's a forward / pinch hitting ruckman and with Roo and Kosi in their final couple of years and Mac needing assistance in the middle he is exactly what we need.

Kerstan would be good however you'd think Freo would pick up the West Aussie plus he doesn't have the size or versatility to play in the ruck like Elton.
I think you'll find he is a bolter to the first round... not a slider. Was a 2nd-3rd round chance before the combine and has gone up in the ratings since then. Don't get me wrong, he's not rubbish, and we're going to have to accept some faults with whoever we pick in this weak draft, but he is still very speculative. Has the talent to be top-10 in this draft, but could just as easily p1ss off in two years as a guy who never seized his opportunity.

Time will tell I guess.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't mind Kersten but is there any chance that Crozier will slide to us?

If it wasn't for 'that mark' I think he would have safely made it to pick 25, after the mark though I think he would have snuck up the ladder a bit.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

My strategy for the draft is to rubbish every single player we draft regardless of how good they are in the knowledge that at least two wont make it.

Then in two years time I can start a thread telling everyone how great I was for picking the duds.

Works for a few people around here.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
StNoodles
Club Player

Elton looks like a young Kosi.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Much more mobile...

StNoodles wrote:Elton looks like a young Kosi.
Similiar in size but Elton is much more mobile than Kosi was and is pretty good bleow his knees unlike Kosi.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Is Merrett any relation?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
paddy
Club Player

I think Elton is the kid who likens himself to Roo, who better to foster his development than the man himself?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Elton or later in the draft Ben Brown, could be the answer if we wanted another No.2 ruckman, but with Ben by himself now a first ruck is a priority. Bolger, Downie, Cope, Brewer. There really is not a lot in this draft.

Gershwin
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:

Emma Quayle doesn't have Elton in her 25 favourites or the next 8 that she couldn't squeeze in.
He would appear to be a bit "soft" and hard to know whether adding some muscle will add some mongrel. I suspect not.
Grigg is always described as slow. Surely we can't carry a slow midfielder regardless of his other attributes.

I'd be happy with:
25. Kerridge / McKenzie
35. Merrett / Waldhuter
37. Downie
42. Horsely
60. Currie
72. Dowler
76. Blake

summertime and the living is easy ........
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
saintsfreak wrote:Grigg to last till 42 and Manson to 60? Don't think so.
Grigg could go anywhere from pick 15-50 IMO. His combine results will have a few recruiters second guessing themselves. He's a slow as a wet whistle.
I heard ex-Saints assistant and current Crows recruiting manager Matt Rendell also describe Grigg as slow as a wet week - but he also said,he was the best kick in the draft - ever ! .. yes thats right , not just best kick this year, best kick ever !. Will be very interesting to see where the kid lands.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin, we have pick 68, which we got from Sydney as part of the Walsh trade.

Gershwin
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Gershwin, we have pick 68, which we got from Sydney as part of the Walsh trade.
Good point.
My 72 should have been 68 (I copied from a previous post).
Won't make much difference. I would still take Beau Dowler as a back-up key position player.

summertime and the living is easy ........
SMS
Club Player

THESE ARE THE PLAYERS WE WANT!

We need a 195 - 198cm Forward/Ruck
We need SPEED - GOT IT with MILERA and SAAD
We need a STRONG FULL BACK, again 192cm at least.

25. Elton - Tall/Forward
35. Bussey - Magical!
37. Bossely - Nutter country boy red head full back - highlights are awesome!
42. Dubosz - 59 goals, Agile, 191cm forward. Knows the goals.
60. Bolger - Ruckman 202cm
72. FEVOLA!!! - Why Not? seriously? Why Not?
76. Blake

I want bossely BIG TIME! watch his highlights! Doesnt flinch, goes for the ball hard in the air!! thinks quick! Kicks both sides very well!
Last edited by SMS on Wed 23 Nov 2011 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

well...my hope is simply that we don't go for unheard of, untalented numbnuts that no one else wants...like we have in previous years......how the f*** we overlooked darling is still beyond me...plenty on here knew about him and wanted the saints to draft him.....and that just for starters.....won't go into the history of the saints woeful drafting in past years...still makes me wanna cry..... :cry:

SMS
Club Player

It would be a steal getting the guys I mentioned!

A lot of duds like xavier richards people talk about - they can have him!

BOSELY!! COME ON!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:well...my hope is simply that we don't go for unheard of, untalented numbnuts that no one else wants...like we have in previous years......how the f*** we overlooked darling is still beyond me...plenty on here knew about him and wanted the saints to draft him.....and that just for starters.....won't go into the history of the saints woeful drafting in past years...still makes me wanna cry..... :cry:

Every club bar I think one that didn't have a selection previous overlooked Darling.

saintsfreak
Club Player

GRIGG.
We want elite kicking skills, he's got 'em.

The Freak