Daniel Markworth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Daniel Markworth

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

AFL phantom draft had him going at pick 13 to GWS

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

its good, we have two now......him and siposs....

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Rated higher than Ross by many.........

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:its good, we have two now......him and siposs....
is a slider or just over rated? at 19 he should have the body to push for selection earlier. Love the idea of a191 cm FAST forward. How is his kicking?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sobraz
SS Life Member

seems like we were keen on Grigg and just missed out with pick 42... taking quite a while...

edit: just picked up Jimmy Webster...

Another Jimmy running out of defence... :)

saintsfreak
Club Player

Really happy with this pick, big slider :D

The Freak
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsfreak wrote:Really happy with this pick, big slider :D
how was he a slider?
wasnt in Emma Quayles Top 30 and she is the most accurate draft picker.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Daniel Markworth
DOB 3/4/92 Ht 190.5 Wt 78

Markworth is getting a lot of attention and people seem to be buying him on perceived upside. Personally I am a bit more skeptical. People talk about him like he is new to football but that is not the case. He has played his entire life and has been in the TAC system the last couple of years. He played other sports like Tennis very well but he still played football but with the development he has shown over the last year or so people are assuming that he has come from nowhere. That is not the case it is simply that he is a late developer and he was able to do well this year playing against kids a year younger than himself.

With that said Markworth has shown excellent development this year and has a few really good aspects to his game. First and foremost is his pace. He ran a very slippery 2.89 in the 20m at Combine (and a 24.31 in the repeat sprint which was 5th overall) and he uses this pace well in games. He is a quick lead up forward who can create separation with his pace. He has played a fair bit as a tall forward at TAC level as well as on a flank but at AFL level he is definitely a flanker. His crumbing skills are good and he has nice clean hands below his knees. He is a bit of a swooper on crumbs and this is one of the best aspects of his game.

In the contest he is agile and elusive and can be difficult to tackle especially once he has a bit of space to work in. He likes to take players on and he does it very well. He supposedly had a sore knee at Combine and did not test for endurance (although he did do the jumps and sprint work) which I am a little skeptical about but using the eyeball test he seems to have adequate endurance for a tallish forward but he will definitely need to step it to get the best out of himself at AFL level.

Markworth measured in the top 25% in the jumps demonstrating that he can get up there. Combine this with his height which is good for a flanker and you would usually expect him to be a good mark, especially given the hype that he is getting, but this is not the case. Overall I would suggest he only has average overhead skills and his contested marking leaves a bit to be desired.

His kicking is also something which could be better. He can do some really nice things with his kicks one minute and leave you scratching your head the next. He has been compared a bit with Steve Johnson and he shares the inconsistency of his kicking with Johnson. He is a flank / outside player who averaged only 68% efficiency in the TAC which is poor for the position he played. He does have pretty good penetration on his kicking and is a reasonable shot for goal although he does seem to me to have a bit of a low connection with the ball when he takes a set shot. He has good goal sense and is capable of slotting goals from angle.

He gets credit for working hard in the forward press but he averages only 1.9 tackles per game and his work is a bit inconsistent. There are certainly others who are a fair bit ahead of him in this regard.

Markworth is an intelligent guy who is currently studying Bio-Medicine at Uni and he has demonstrated that he is willing to work on his game. I see no reason why he will not continue to improve but I don’t automatically see the increased upside over other small forwards who are going to be taken around or after him. He is a flashy player and that gets attention but there are definitely some holes and polish that needs to be applied.

Goddard.
Sam23
SS Life Member

19 year old, bit of a late starter and definitely looking like he could be one of the years big bolters. His late rise is not overly surprising, given his speed and agility coupled with some clean disposal. Has played pretty much every position on the ground, just needs to now settle into one. At first, it might be as a forward but eventually he'll move into the midfield. AFL Comparison: Isaac Smith.

Goddard.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Markham 'The thinker,!

Thanks Con for the link.
Young Markworth certainly seems to analyse himself and his game and you get the impression he's ready to learn as much as he can from the coaching staff.

An interesting prospect.

GO DANIEL!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Middo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsfreak wrote:Really happy with this pick, big slider :D
how was he a slider?
wasnt in Emma Quayles Top 30 and she is the most accurate draft picker.
Have another look at pick twenty , been compared to Nathan Fyfe.
Gee wish people would get their facts right before opening their big mouths !! :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

No wonder we got got him...his kicking is sus

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:No wonder we got got him...his kicking is sus
Come on bobby cut the kid some slack..sounds like a good prospect :wink:

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
I was reacting to the summation on him....the Academy might right his wrongs.....he may end up an Academy award winner....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Scoop
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:
There was a knock on Chris Judd's kicking when he got drafted....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Middo
Club Player

Quote from Article :
Regardless, on the field, his creativity, cleanness and especially his speed, either on the lead or surging away from congestion, is what sets him apart. Like Fremantle's Nat Fyfe, he has the X-factor. Truckloads of it.

Pretty happy with this being compared to Nat Fyfe .. :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Quote from Article :
Regardless, on the field, his creativity, cleanness and especially his speed, either on the lead or surging away from congestion, is what sets him apart. Like Fremantle's Nat Fyfe, he has the X-factor. Truckloads of it.

Pretty happy with this being compared to Nat Fyfe .. :wink:
this 8-)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I wonder whether being an overager has inflated the reputation of the likes of Haynes and Markworth (he was rated higher). Is this the first year where they have overagers playing under 18s? Seems a great prospect and excited by him dont get me wrong, just wondering as they'd come up against kids two years younger than them that would mean.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Richter
SS Life Member

Article poses some questions around his commitment to an AFL career. Suppose it could go either way.

Biomed at Melb Uni is often a precursor to the full graduate medical degree (got a mate who has done this route) - and let's be honest, if he wants to be a doctor there isn't room for both medicine AND an AFL career.

On the other hand, he would have needed to be either smart, or pushed himself (or a mix of both) to get in to his course, which suggests that if he puts his mind to AFL then psychologically he could be a determined bloke.

Presumably these psychological questions were put to him by recruiters, and ours felt he was worth a go.

Anyhow, welcome to the club Daniel and good luck in your AFL career with the Saints.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
jimmy_slats
Club Player

Sam23 wrote:Daniel Markworth
DOB 3/4/92 Ht 190.5 Wt 78

Markworth is getting a lot of attention and people seem to be buying him on perceived upside. Personally I am a bit more skeptical. People talk about him like he is new to football but that is not the case. He has played his entire life and has been in the TAC system the last couple of years. He played other sports like Tennis very well but he still played football but with the development he has shown over the last year or so people are assuming that he has come from nowhere. That is not the case it is simply that he is a late developer and he was able to do well this year playing against kids a year younger than himself.

With that said Markworth has shown excellent development this year and has a few really good aspects to his game. First and foremost is his pace. He ran a very slippery 2.89 in the 20m at Combine (and a 24.31 in the repeat sprint which was 5th overall) and he uses this pace well in games. He is a quick lead up forward who can create separation with his pace. He has played a fair bit as a tall forward at TAC level as well as on a flank but at AFL level he is definitely a flanker. His crumbing skills are good and he has nice clean hands below his knees. He is a bit of a swooper on crumbs and this is one of the best aspects of his game.

In the contest he is agile and elusive and can be difficult to tackle especially once he has a bit of space to work in. He likes to take players on and he does it very well. He supposedly had a sore knee at Combine and did not test for endurance (although he did do the jumps and sprint work) which I am a little skeptical about but using the eyeball test he seems to have adequate endurance for a tallish forward but he will definitely need to step it to get the best out of himself at AFL level.

Markworth measured in the top 25% in the jumps demonstrating that he can get up there. Combine this with his height which is good for a flanker and you would usually expect him to be a good mark, especially given the hype that he is getting, but this is not the case. Overall I would suggest he only has average overhead skills and his contested marking leaves a bit to be desired.

His kicking is also something which could be better. He can do some really nice things with his kicks one minute and leave you scratching your head the next. He has been compared a bit with Steve Johnson and he shares the inconsistency of his kicking with Johnson. He is a flank / outside player who averaged only 68% efficiency in the TAC which is poor for the position he played. He does have pretty good penetration on his kicking and is a reasonable shot for goal although he does seem to me to have a bit of a low connection with the ball when he takes a set shot. He has good goal sense and is capable of slotting goals from angle.

He gets credit for working hard in the forward press but he averages only 1.9 tackles per game and his work is a bit inconsistent. There are certainly others who are a fair bit ahead of him in this regard.

Markworth is an intelligent guy who is currently studying Bio-Medicine at Uni and he has demonstrated that he is willing to work on his game. I see no reason why he will not continue to improve but I don’t automatically see the increased upside over other small forwards who are going to be taken around or after him. He is a flashy player and that gets attention but there are definitely some holes and polish that needs to be applied.
he played 4 seasons.... even said it so himself now thats pretty unknown in my books means he would of been almost 16 when he started and thats not "played his entire life"

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
Sainterman
Club Player

I've got a good feeling about this kid. Seems to have continued to develop with each season played. If you watch the "pick me" interview he did prior to with the HS he talks about wanting to improve and wanting to be an AFL footballer. He talks about the biomed course too, worth a watch.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pickme

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Age says we got a bargain with Markworth today.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:The Age says we got a bargain with Markworth today.
gee the kid speaks well.
I know that doesnt make a player. But I reckon that helped him.