Daniel Markworth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:gee the kid speaks well.
I know that doesnt make a player.
Just as well or Milney would be playing for the Nar Nar Goon seconds 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:gee the kid speaks well.
I know that doesnt make a player.
Just as well or Milney would be playing for the Nar Nar Goon seconds 8-)
Yeah :lol:
And Geoffrey Robertson QC would be a 5 time Brownlow winner :-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone confirm how old this guy is??
Draft summary says is he 19.7
Player page says he is 18.7

DOB: 03/04/92
DOB: 03/04/93

If he is 19 - he is a full 8 months OLDER than Aaron Siposs. He will be 20 at the start of the season and plays a similar position to Aaron. So very interesting to see how it pans out in 2012.

Seems we have a clear strategy to have mid sized mobile marking fwd (Sipposs/Markworth) to take the heat of Rooey with a tall "swing man" (Kosi/Stanley) rotating through Full Forward.

So the competetition for spots is very clear. Those 4 guys mentioned will be competing directly for those roles.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 25 Nov 2011 7:09pm, edited 4 times in total.

philtee
Club Player

From Emma Quayle's Top 30....
"14. Daniel Markworth".
Am I missing something ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:From Emma Quayle's Top 30....
"14. Daniel Markworth".
Am I missing something ?
Quayle had him at 20 (and Sheehan had him 18).

So based on that we did AWESOME!.

20. FREMANTLE
DANIEL MARKWORTH
VITAL INFORMATION From Calder Cannons, 19, 191cm, 78kg. Quick, bouncy half-forward who can slip into the midfield.
THE RATIONALE The Dockers really like him and had him in their mix for pick 16.
BEST-LAID PLANS North might grab him, and Essendon will take a look too. Josh Bootsma is a chance here too.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, seems a smart guy and I love when a young player picks a player to model themselves on. Stevie J and Goodes are a nice combo if Hammer puts a little in as well it would be the perfect forward package.

Stephen_Powell

Played against him at Macedon.very good player, only downside is, he doesnt have as much TAC cup pre-seasons under his belt like most of the other draftees.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

He is not going to be ready in 2012 - or at least it will be very unlikely. He has only played footy for four years and has gotten remarkably better each year. He has amazing speed off the mark (like seriously, amazing!), a great leap and decent foot-skills. Not an amazing mark, although he is getting better. Also has his head screwed on, which is good to see.

He is a real project player for the academy who has all the skills to be a very good AFL footballer, if he applies himself correctly. He has a lot of Nat Fyfe about him (without the skills above his head). It's that same leap and explosive pace - he is also very creative.

Think he will be a super get for the Saints. An absolute bargain at 35 too!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Stephen_Powell wrote:Played against him at Macedon.very good player, only downside is, he doesnt have as much TAC cup pre-seasons under his belt like most of the other draftees.
As much as that's a "downside" in the short term, it's probably an "upside" in the long run, as it means there's hopefully a heap of room for improvement in him yet.
A long term forward line of he, Siposs and Saad, with hopefully some taller talent, looks like it might be OK and pretty exciting.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

he look's to be a good pick up...

"Done and drafted
Emma Quayle
November 27, 2011
T
Now the dust has settled, it's possible to assess which other clubs, besides GWS, picked winners.

ST KILDA: A club that was always going to be a major point of interest, given it played its first significant part in a draft for a few years. Including Ahmed Saad and Tim Milera, traded in last month, the Saints ended up with a really good group.

It would have been nice for them to take a punt on Todd Elton, who was perhaps the riskiest yet highest potential player in the draft, but they made the talented Seb Ross a priority and would likely have lost him to the Bombers had they not taken him at 25. Daniel Markworth was a steal, and both Jack Newnes and Jimmy Webster are solid midfield prospects, the latter offering some real dash. They claimed Jay Lever as their ruck/tall forward, but he may also end up as a key tall in defence. That's the one area they still look somewhat vulnerable in as far as next year goes, but all in all, they have made an excellent start at revitalising a list that needed some serious work.

THE VALUE PICKS

TODD ELTON (Richmond, No. 26). Athletically, can do some incredible things. Can the Tigers bring out his competitive edge?

DANIEL MARKWORTH (St Kilda, No. 35) Smart, quick player who'll help freshen up their half-forward line. Kicking was probably the reason he got this far.

SHANE KERSTEN (Geelong, No. 34) A natural, leading forward with some real power off the mark.

JORDAN MURDOCH (Geelong, No. 48) The steal of the draft. No idea why he got this far down, although some clubs think he will take a while to adjust to the demands of the system. Couldn't have joined a better, more grounded group of teammates.

WHO WANTS A TALL?

The surprising thing about this draft was that a few clubs that seemed to really need to bring one or more genuine key position prospects in - Adelaide, Brisbane, St Kilda, Fremantle - either made it a late priority or didn't draft any at all. The things the recruiters have been saying for most of the year - that many of the available talls were high potential but high risk, with one or more significant flaws came to bear. It's why the likes of Michael Talia, Hamling, Kersten and Jackson Paine got so far down the order, and why a lot of others missed out entirely. Plenty of onballers missed out, but even more talls did, Sam Frost, Andrew Boseley, Julian Dobosz, Brody Mihocek, Michael Bussey, Fletcher Roberts, Ben Brown, Nick Murphy, Julian Dobosz, Jai Sheahan, Xavier Richards, Myles Bolger and Jackson Coleman among the unlucky players who'll be hanging out for the rookie draft. Of the smaller players, Jack Crisp, Marley Williams, Shane Nelson, Lauchlan Dalgleish and Josh Waldhuter were also a little unfortunate."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... z1etMIyLU2

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Elton looks like big dud. poor mans Kosi. Happy we got SR instead.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yea happy with Seb over Elton however I suspect we (and a few other clubs) will regret letting Kersten slip to pick 34.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Yea happy with Seb over Elton however I suspect we (and a few other clubs) will regret letting Kersten slip to pick 34.
They obviously really rate Ross, simple as that. I really liked Kersten, moreso than Elton even but we cant have them all. I would have been upset if we'd let him past 35 or 37 but we risked it and missed him by one (or he was never on our radar). Either way its done now and we could have a beauty with huge potential in Markworth.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'll go out on a limb and say that Daniel will be the greatest thing since slice bread, James Hird crossed with Nat Fyfe…

Jokes aside, I have heard that he is a very determined guy so hopefully that can translate into the work required to play at the top level,

Don't think we'll be seeing him in the ones for a year or 2 at least, coming from a lot less footy than most…

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say that Daniel will be the greatest thing since slice bread, James Hird crossed with Nat Fyfe…

Jokes aside, I have heard that he is a very determined guy so hopefully that can translate into the work required to play at the top level,

Don't think we'll be seeing him in the ones for a year or 2 at least, coming from a lot less footy than most…
He will be 20y.o for the 2012 season. So he should/will be aiming to play some senior games in the latter half.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:I'll go out on a limb and say that Daniel will be the greatest thing since slice bread, James Hird crossed with Nat Fyfe…

He will be 20y.o for the 2012 season. So he should/will be aiming to play some senior games in the latter half.
Age is only one factor Con.

He's still fairly new to the game and it's a big step up from where he's been playing to senior AFL footy. Hell need to build strength and endurance.

And we'll need to be patient.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Not so much age, but training and endurance…
Played TAC this year, but skipped it the year before to focus on finishing school. Big jump up to AFL from there I'd reckon, be great if he did get there next year though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Played TAC this year, but skipped it the year before to focus on finishing school. Big jump up to AFL from there I'd reckon, be great if he did get there next year though.
yeah true. theyll be flogging him as we speak :-)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

yeah true. theyll be flogging him as we speak :-)
Please save your filthy thoughts for the General Forum. There is one on there at the moment this belongs :wink: