Sebastian Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Yea my prediction was Elton and Grigg with our first two picks however the way it panned out i would have taken Kersten and Markworth then considered a ruck like Bolger and finished with a couple of mids. Saying that i reckon Ross and Newnes are good picks and could play straight sway it just didnt address our needs for kpp's and ruck. Webster and Markworth sliding handy as well. The psd will be interesting. We should consider Bosely, Bolger, Dobozs, Nelson and Waldhuter.
Reckon those names are all pretty good for rookie draft. Dobosz would be my pick of the bunch - he didn't get picked due to his size (191cm) and lack of games go gauge form on. He does have talent though - quite similar in some respects to Siposs, or Cahill (although that comparison may worry some people).

Bolger is a good tap ruckman, but has a poor jump and does nothing around the ground. Think Mark Blake.
Bosely is a good FB prospect, but cannot kick to save his life. Decent one-on-one and long arms help to spoil.
Waldhunter is a tagger with very few tricks to make it at AFL level. I love his aggression, but seems a classic rookie choice.
Nelson probably slid due to the amount of similar players there were in this draft. Reasonable midfield/forward (179cm) option.
Frost is another people are discussing - whilst he has pace, his disposal efficiency is woeful. Also not a great reader of the play.

I also like Coleman or Ben Brown as rookie options (both tall forwards). There is of course also Manson - prodigious talent from the NT. Good option for rookie draft, but no surprise he didn't get picked (you are bound to a 2-year contract in the ND, but only 1 year in rookie draft)

swarta
Club Player

Guys the selection isnt everything. You can select the most skilled candidates but unless they have the right mindset they will never be anything more than a really good TAC player

The mental constraints of AFL are extreme and most people cannot handle the demands

We have picked two players who have shown that they have not only a good level of skill, but are mentally prepared to go the hard yards to improve their game

Thats what it takes to be an AFL player

sent from my iphone.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

With Manson

its funny how at PICK 16 we were willing to risk a three year contract, worth 1 Million for a bloke who could play a maximum of 5 years all things going well (27yo)....with a well documented upside and downside

Yet

Not a two year deal on minimum wage for a guy with a well documented upside and downside...

If he quit - whats the hurt.....160K, a low pick busted...is that really a risk???

Every Draft pick is a risk....we just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on Smith, Cahill, Lynch, Walsh, Johnson, Heyne and had NO gaurantees of success and they all failed

I love Courage - it has its reward......but not stupidity..

I reckon there would be a 20% chance of Manson even staying through pre-season.....but what if he did???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:With Manson

its funny how at PICK 16 we were willing to risk a three year contract, worth 1 Million for a bloke who could play a maximum of 5 years all things going well (27yo)....with a well documented upside and downside

Yet

Not a two year deal on minimum wage for a guy with a well documented upside and downside...

If he quit - whats the hurt.....160K, a low pick busted...is that really a risk???

Every Draft pick is a risk....we just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on Smith, Cahill, Lynch, Walsh, Johnson, Heyne and had NO gaurantees of success and they all failed

I love Courage - it has its reward......but not stupidity..

I reckon there would be a 20% chance of Manson even staying through pre-season.....but what if he did???
Its also funny that there is a different coach in place so I fail to see what Lovett has to do with Manson. I suppose its just a way of you bring a negative into a topic that has nothing to do with Lovett.

defacto
Club Player

i am so bloody excited about this kid. he just looks like he has it. the character of the kid looks even better.

i am really really really hoping to see cripps, ledger, siposs, steven, mcevoy, saad and ross in the NAB cup.

i am also hoping simpkin and stanley finally show something!!!!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i am so bloody excited about this kid. he just looks like he has it. the character of the kid looks even better.

i am really really really hoping to see cripps, ledger, siposs, steven, mcevoy, saad and ross in the NAB cup.

Put him down for round 1. At 187cm and 82kg he's ready to go.

defacto
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
defacto wrote:i am so bloody excited about this kid. he just looks like he has it. the character of the kid looks even better.

Put him down for round 1. At 187cm and 82kg he's ready to go.
i hope so mate!!!! imagine him working the clearance with big ben and an old head like lenny/dal/montagna and then chuck a steven/armitage into the mix OMFG!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You are an expert it seems - you state this....did not mention how, but ill take your word for it...take my word that I am not..

But even the real experts (the recruiters) can make mistakes yes?? its is still far from an exact science....yet you seem to say with conviction who is better than who....but really they are only kids playing in a comp made up of other people who are the best at the same age.............and few of these kids have ever kicked a ball in anger against other age levels....

as soon as they start next year they play against 18-35 year olds, who have actually made it

So whilst it is an indicator that they may be a good player, it is not a fact its gonna happen....

Your comment that Ross will not be the best in the draft in ten years is hard to understand....as its too hard know
Montagna would have not been considered to be anywhere near the best considering the company in 2001....he would sit easily in the top ten of the class of 01...what about Dane Swan...
Ablett after 3 years in the AFL would have been seen as Handy
Goddard initially was seen as clearly #1 in 2002...in 05 was lost in space...now is #1 again
Darling was Rated top ten in 2009, slid in 2010 and is now
I remember distincly 2006 Riewoldt was put to a Hawthorn recruiter by Hamish Ogilvie when asking about Thorpe...his reply was Jack would be lucky to make it as a third fwd....and Thorpe had all the attributes

I dont get too hung up on centimeters as a indicator of ariel strength
Aaron Hamill at 184, ablett 185, Brereton 188, Bradshaw 189, Dunkley 190 were very good contested marks whilst Birchall 192, Dempster 192, Mundy 192 have probably never taken one..

Finally
I have never mentioned that I was in anyway an expert.....but dont dare come on an internet fan forum as an EXPERT and try to bully a fan who is giving his opinion and has EVERY RIGHT to do so....

this is a place for fans to discuss things at an amatuer level....we all know our place in the scheme of things, if you are supposedly higher on the food chain...why worry about us nobodies opinions..

BTW - you realise I have said very little against the individuals we picked....just the fact we did not look at RATED talls to fill obvious deficiencies on our list......and yes some of them were rated, not just by phantom drafts, but the clubs who actually picked them

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:37

You are an expert it seems - you state this....did not mention how, but ill take your word for it...take my word that I am not..

But even the real experts (the recruiters) can make mistakes yes?? its is still far from an exact science....yet you seem to say with conviction who is better than who....but really they are only kids playing in a comp made up of other people who are the best at the same age.............and few of these kids have ever kicked a ball in anger against other age levels....

as soon as they start next year they play against 18-35 year olds, who have actually made it

So whilst it is an indicator that they may be a good player, it is not a fact its gonna happen....

Your comment that Ross will not be the best in the draft in ten years is hard to understand....as its too hard know
Montagna would have not been considered to be anywhere near the best considering the company in 2001....he would sit easily in the top ten of the class of 01...what about Dane Swan...
Goddard initially was seen as clearly #1 in 2002...in 05 was lost in space...now is #1 again
I remember distincly 2006 Riewoldt was put to a Hawthorn recruiter by Hamish Ogilvie when asking about Thorpe...his reply was Jack would be lucky to make it as a third fwd....and Thorpe had all the attributes

Aaron Hamill at 184, ablett 185, Brereton 188, Bradshaw 189, Dunkley 190 were very good contested marks whilst Birchall 192, Dempster 192, Mundy 192 have probably never taken one..

Finally
I have never mentioned that I was in anyway an expert.....but dont dare come on an internet fan forum as an EXPERT and try to bully a fan who is giving his opinion and has EVERY RIGHT to do so....

this is a place for fans to discuss things at an amatuer level....we all know our place in the scheme of things, if you are supposedly higher on the food chain...why worry about us nobodies opinions..

BTW - you realise I have said very little against the individuals we picked....just the fact we did not look at RATED talls to fill obvious deficiencies on our list......and yes some of them were rated, not just by phantom drafts, but the clubs who actually picked them
Please just go back teaching the ABC.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
gringo
Saintsational Legend

As I said elsewhere he was compared with James Hird on the radio. If he is capable of taking the game on in the way Hird did we have got a steal.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Clarky

I used teach PE and a bit of Science....why is that a concern.....or were you trying to be funny??? or be nasty???

really that reply is a bit silly

What do you do again??
so I can make fun of you for that...

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Clarky

I used teach PE and a bit of Science....why is that a concern.....or were you trying to be funny??? or be nasty???

really that reply is a bit silly

What do you do again??
so I can make fun of you for that...
Science, Impressive, i was never good with the periodic chart. Im not making fun of what you do.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What was it you do again???

And what was the ABC coment in reference to??

I have never understood the fascination with my job, there are tens of thousands in Vic alone....not sure why its a concern of anyones....we all have jobs..

The issue was I did not know that if you mentioned it, pathetic persons who use whatever they can to attempt to ridicule...would continually use the knowledge to take the piss...

thing is....I see nothing wrong with the profession..

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What was it you do again???

And what was the ABC coment in reference to??

I have never understood the fascination with my job, there are tens of thousands in Vic alone....not sure why its a concern of anyones....we all have jobs..

The issue was I did not know that if you mentioned it, pathetic persons who use whatever they can to attempt to ridicule...would continually use the knowledge to take the piss...

thing is....I see nothing wrong with the profession..
I have a part time job in retail, i have just finished my year 12 so that is all ive got, thank you for asking.
Im sure you can work out why i said the ABC part. Very much tounge in cheek.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:37

Finally

Jesus...lighten up..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
StGoddard18
Club Player

I dislike how many threads on this board stray away from the topic.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Big mart, may I ask why do you always have to have the last say, we're all Saints here, what do you have against us?, what makes you better than all off us?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Look, Marty, I probably went a bit overboard in the insults department, and that's not really me. So I apologise for that. I don't claim to b an expert, but I hazard a guess that I've watched more footage and games on the younger kids than you. I do it from my own interest, not for professional reasons. Not trying to rub it in anyones face- just trying to provide info I thought may be of interest to u and others. Perhaps if you understood what Ross was like and what Elton was like, you may be excited about the choice like I am.

Im all for opinions and what not, but I frankly got frustrated by you providing half truths to attempt to either discredit our drafters, or bag our draftees.

No recruiting department is perfect, nor am I claiming them to be. I am just trying to prove through my own knowledge base that we have in fact drafted very well this year. Take that how you will.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Big mart, may I ask why do you always have to have the last say, we're all Saints here, what do you have against us?, what makes you better than all off us?
i don't think he ever said or even implied that. dude may or may not be a douche, but don't take it personally just because someone likes to talk s*** on an internet forum. that's a one way ticket to an early grave.

Saints94
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Big mart, may I ask why do you always have to have the last say, we're all Saints here, what do you have against us?, what makes you better than all off us?
i don't think he ever said or even implied that. dude may or may not be a douche, but don't take it personally just because someone likes to talk s*** on an internet forum. that's a one way ticket to an early grave.
I have no problem with it, I just ignore it, but it amazes me that people have big egos.....

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Getting back to Seb Ross, I wouldn't mind knowing if the club would have taken him at 20, if we hadn't swapped it for 25. If so, we've effectively got 3 players with one pick without giving up aything, although I still think three players for pick 25 is quite good.
Let's just hope a couple of them end up having long careers for the Saints.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We could have drafted the next McQualter.... Or we could have drafted the next [insert recent talented player drafted here late first round].

18 is just so young physically.

A lot is luck. Players developing physically is not always a choice. A lot is genetics.

Next midfield brigade will consist of

Armitage Steven

Winmar, Ledger, Cripps, Crocker, Ross, Webster, Newens

Give them 6 years until they are 24... And hopefully they are a force.

On the other hand, they might get delisted along the way.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good comment Spinner

None of will know for sure....nor will Watters, Pelchin or whoever (especially the player) until at least the end of next year - even beyond..

BTW - I was a Huge McQualter fan at the 2004 draft and was rapt we got him.....he was serviceable

evo
Club Player

I have noticed that when egos get questioned spelling is the first casualty.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:I will remain interested to see when those who provide the summary knocks on young kiddies drafted start to recognise this is not 1995, or even 2005.
Clubs are now making their draft selections on a very different basis. It is but a few years ago when selections were all about athletes. Not now. Now it's about rounded footballers who have a package a club can work to develop. The ability to win the contested pill, carry the ball, foot skills and a sound character (the Fev clause, perhaps?) are all now paramount. No longer is it "pick 'em and play 'em" and hope for the best.
That's why we are committing so much resource to the idea of a development academy. It's sensible, forward thinking and entirely worthy.
We're heading in the right direction and the great mass of people I know who are rusted on to this club are rapt - me included. They could have taken the easy out and excused themselves on the basis of Lyon's slick treachery. But, no, we just got on with it and changed our resource emphasis (and, please, no-one countenance a suggestion of the "we're broke" mob, because to do so shows a fundamental lack of appreciation of what the business is, what the numbers mean, what's it's there to achieve and what we need to do to maximise our prospects).
Ticks to all at the helm who have devised and are executing a sound strategy. We're on the right track.

great post